East County Surf

And now this!!! wow!! they have to be stopped.

catalunasurf-jpg.5533

Attachments

• CATALUNASURF.jpg
    CATALUNASURF.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 418
And now this!!! wow!! they have to be stopped.

catalunasurf-jpg.5533
This was in the works 6 years ago. Soccer Today, the voice of America has all the info you need. https://www.soccertoday.com/mark-spooner-joins-surf-sc/

September 5, 2013- America is well known for welcoming talented English soccer coaches and many have shaped the development of the beautiful game in our country. Recently San Diego Surf Soccer Club hired Mark Spooner, a new coach from Birmingham City Football Club, England. Spooner will be coaching girls teams this season and looks forward to sharing his knowledge and passion for the game with players on this side of the Atlantic.

According to Surf Soccer Club’s Director of Coaching, Colin Chester, “Our goal is to be the #1 Club in the country and have the best coaches possible. I see a lot of people and receive a be-zillion emails a year with coaches looking for a job. Mark Spooner came here and knocked it out of the park. He was amazing. We are very happy to have Mark coaching here at Surf SC.” When asked about Spooner’s background, Colin said, “Mark played in the Crewe Alexandra Academy, which is one of the best Academies for developing players to the next level. Crewe has been developing EPL players for decades. Currently they have Ashley Westwood for Aston Villa and Nick Powell at Manchester United.

I WOULD GIVE MR SPOONER ONE BIG FAT RAISE FOR WHAT HE WAS ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH IN THE LAST 6 YEARS!!!!

upload_2019-10-24_14-8-36.png

This quote in the Q & A session has me SMFH...….

Diane Scavuzzo: What do you think will be your biggest challenge coaching youth soccer?

Mark Spooner: "The biggest problem in America right now is that parents did not play the game (and you did?) when they were young so you need to educate them (Or sell them) as well as the players (sell them too). Twenty years down the line you will not have this problem. It is hard to have parents sitting and watching the game and not understanding why the coach is doing something. (oh really??) Parents need as much education as kids. (Ya dude, you sure pulled a good educator on me and my dd)

My biggest challenge will be helping the parents understand what I am doing (Yes, I agree 100% because I'm still SMFH). All my parents have my cell phone. I encourage them to call and ask questions. (I'm still waiting on my answers bro!!!)

Every nationality has a winning mentality. I want to have players and parents put a hold on that. There is a place for this win at all cost mentality but it is when players are older."

This quote in the Q & A session has me SMFH...….

Diane Scavuzzo: What do you think will be your biggest challenge coaching youth soccer?

Mark Spooner: "The biggest problem in America right now is that parents did not play the game (and you did?) when they were young so you need to educate them (Or sell them) as well as the players (sell them too). Twenty years down the line you will not have this problem. It is hard to have parents sitting and watching the game and not understanding why the coach is doing something. (oh really??) Parents need as much education as kids. (Ya dude, you sure pulled a good educator on me and my dd)

My biggest challenge will be helping the parents understand what I am doing (Yes, I agree 100% because I'm still SMFH). All my parents have my cell phone. I encourage them to call and ask questions. (I'm still waiting on my answers bro!!!)

Every nationality has a winning mentality. I want to have players and parents put a hold on that. There is a place for this win at all cost mentality but it is when players are older."

Makes sense now. I could never understand why he had his head constantly buried in his phone and sipping on Jamba Juice rather than engaging his team.

That's what happens when you give a young guy the most talented team in the club. They inevitably win and everyone thinks it because of the coach and unfortunately so does the coach.

That's what happens when you give a young guy the most talented team in the club. They inevitably win and everyone thinks it because of the coach and unfortunately so does the coach.

Agree. The trick is to give the guy a new Youngers team too , see if they be successful and develop that team simultaneously with the older all star team.....

If I recall correctly, he came on when Surf Board members got sick of drunk Steveo coaching their kids. Spooner took over Board members kids teams but left Steveo to continue to coach B and C teams while drunk and or high.

I thought Spooner quit to enter the corporate world so maybe he did release it was not his coaching but Surf buying players to weaken the competition.

I don't see how the rebranding changes anything, it is still a small, east county club. The better players parents will move them to a bigger club with teams that compete at higher levels.
On the website it is mentioned aspirations of DA/ECNL. That is the likely goal and prime marketing piece.

What's the story on this? Can you share (maybe cliff notes) what this guy did or didn't do, etc.? (I'm new to the "surf family").
@mlx, best thing to do is talk with the older brothers & sisters in the family. If they don't want to talk about the past then maybe one of the Elders can help you out with more cliff notes :)

Riptide rebranded themselves and have nearly the same number of teams and record from before joining as surf. I didn’t see any Pt Loma surf teams at surf cup . They had the same coaches and fields. What really changed besides retaining a few quality players because they were promised a new look?

Liverpool now being called east county surf isn’t going to make them stronger, not going the coaches better, not changing the players. Just a rebrand. Like hanging an In and Out sign on a Burger King

It would be revealing for someone whose club and kids went through this process to post a sincere report on their experience before and after rebranding.

Riptide rebranded themselves and have nearly the same number of teams and record from before joining as surf. I didn’t see any Pt Loma surf teams at surf cup . They had the same coaches and fields. What really changed besides retaining a few quality players because they were promised a new look?

Liverpool now being called east county surf isn’t going to make them stronger, not going the coaches better, not changing the players. Just a rebrand. Like hanging an In and Out sign on a Burger King
Welcome to the socal soccer forum Hoodrat. If the sign changes to In and Out and you get the actual in and out Burgers and Fries and Shake and no more Whopper, then that is a very good sign change :) If new sign and same old Whopper, that sucks!!!!

Having many arms length ties to soccer in OB and PL, and a child that played at both Albion and Riptide (no longer) I can share, somewhat accurately the following: Riptide was struggling next to a very large and rapidly growing Albion. Surf Point Loma is actually, San Diego Surf Point Loma. They are the only expansion of San Diego Surf in San Diego. They are not a stand alone club or affiliate. All operations are run through Del Mar with a couple of directors overseeing the Point Loma region. They have grown by 4 teams (not much but still growth) and some of the teams have strengthened and the attention to the area as an option or alternative to the Evil Empire (jk) of Albion has grown this year. Will be interesting to see how that plays out over the next few months. Two older teams playing SDDA flight 1 with one team in CRL, and they also played in Surf Cup (B01). Lots of PLHS kids on the team. Several boys play on the Del Mar NPL teams from PL in the 06, 05 and 04 age groups (and also in SDDA with their PL team.) That’s a far cry from one year ago. Growth is growth and new opportunities and experiences are there. Moreover, all of those I know and speak to are enjoying themselves and the change. Can things improve, of course. Will they, we will see... the last thing I heard was that the fields are going to be under a makeover very soon as well. All because they are now Surf. SD Surf Point Loma. Rebranded, yes! Reborn, let’s hope so! I’m rooting for them!

So San Diego surf PT Loma is different then all of the other franchises ( San Clemente , OC, LA, Murrieta, Utah, Idaho, Hawaii)?

That is correct. Every other “affiliate” are stand alone organizations, operating on their own still, with their own boards and handling their own revenue. I guess the term franchise can apply. The affiliate network has full access to everything Surf has to offer through their partnerships. All that is SD Surf Point Loma is run through San Diego Surf. So it is unique and the only expansion of SD Surf! (So far!)

Along time ago surf was an exclusive club with top coaches, and top players (mostly recruited) Now just about anyone who can pay the fee or get his E license can call themselves surf. It’s a money grab for surf and just another marketing ploy for current clubs to look new and shiny, plus “offer them opportunities “ that only surf can provide

Liverpool wasn’t good enough on their own w current teams and coaches to take over East county, hopefully they can sell this rebrand better than the last several ideas They have had...free flow, street soccer, the coerver method, the 4 3 3

I have heard that a few crusaders and rebels east teams are going to surf east for next season, either as intact teams or large portion of players. Not sure of the reliability so grain of salt.

I have heard the same thing and we will see if it happens. Also heard some AYSO Matrix teams will be join East County Surf.

I have heard the same thing and we will see if it happens. Also heard some AYSO Matrix teams will be join East County Surf.
I can total see the name attracting players. Maybe thats good, but the best boys teams in the east county are not at liverpool. United and Crusaders tend to have the better boys teams.

If the DA and DPL teams for surf still reside in Del Mar wouldn’t the east county players still have to go to the polo fields to train with those teams if they were to make it? Asking cause I haven’t seen any rebels east, Point Loma surf, Albion south teams get their own DA or ECNL team.

Back