Don't Pay Your Player for Goals

Start of a new season, so thought I'd post this thought. This happens more with the youngers, but I'm always baffled and surprised at how many parents do this with their kids. It's a terrible idea for at least two good reasons: (1) It adds a powerful outside incentive that increases the chance of your player making the wrong decision -- shooting instead of passing to a player with a better scoring opportunity; and (2) It takes away the sport's/game's natural motivating forces--scoring a goal. If your player can't get amped up to score from the thrill of hitting the ball into the net alone, then I suggest they try a different sport or look to the backline for playing time (most defenders love scoring too btw). When they score, you want them to be happy about accomplishing something in the game, helping their team, and having a moment of attention. Not, oh yay, I just made $10, I can't wait to spend it on Pokemon.

Good luck to all players and families this fall.

Start of a new season, so thought I'd post this thought. This happens more with the youngers, but I'm always baffled and surprised at how many parents do this with their kids. It's a terrible idea for at least two good reasons: (1) It adds a powerful outside incentive that increases the chance of your player making the wrong decision -- shooting instead of passing to a player with a better scoring opportunity; and (2) It takes away the sport's/game's natural motivating forces--scoring a goal. If your player can't get amped up to score from the thrill of hitting the ball into the net alone, then I suggest they try a different sport or look to the backline for playing time (most defenders love scoring too btw). When they score, you want them to be happy about accomplishing something in the game, helping their team, and having a moment of attention. Not, oh yay, I just made $10, I can't wait to spend it on Pokemon.

Good luck to all players and families this fall.

I paid them for off-footed goals.

I made the mistake with my son when he played AYSO. He wanted a goal so bad and I wanted one too, I won;t lie. I offered up $10 for his first ever goal. They called him "Speedy Gonzales" because he was so fast when he was 6 and 100% looked like my wife side of Cherokee. This was my first introduction to club coaches recruiting at A SO games btw. Anyway, he had a wide open shot and shanked it wide right. I told him to keep trying and he starts to cry on the field wanting his $10 for the effort. I looked liked the fool that I was. I 100% agree with Oh Canada's advice, dont do it. I told my dd if she helped her team win the natty I would buy her some ice cream after the game and boy did I. Triple scoop in Texas are huge btw :)

Last edited:
Would have gone broke before they even played 11v11 or even when they started AYso, ching ching. The goal can was ringing. Donated my share of stripper tips in those cans.

Futsal has a lot of scoring and our son played that for few years before playing on grass or dirt/grass pitches.

Goal celebration...well son refrains most often until the game is decided or the goal decides. Early, routine ones, own goals, equalizer, etc no celebration unless it's a final or something.

so, what's the going rate when a 4 year old scores a goal?

I'm thinking with inflation currently out of control, we are talking $20?

I was bad today. . Offered my kid $20 for a shutout vs a team we had a losing streak against. Since I won’t let her get a job due to 4 days a week training and AP classes she needs some money. By the way, team won 1-0.

I always used a points system that’s similar to hockey…1 pt for a goal, 1 or for an assist, 1 pt for a trick/turn/nutmeg and bonus for effort/hustle. Points added up to things like dessert or money towards something (ie New Cleats), etc. kept it fun and open to being creating and making decisions based on what’s best for the team.

I was bad today. . Offered my kid $20 for a shutout vs a team we had a losing streak against. Since I won’t let her get a job due to 4 days a week training and AP classes she needs some money. By the way, team won 1-0.
The gks (particularly the girls and the younger boys) have very little control over whether they are in a shut out situation…even if they are masters of the 1v1, cutbacks and sweeping. If their defenders are giving up more shots, even with a 90% save rate, the more shots and eventually one gets through. A pk by a pk trained kicker or a ball over their zone of reach and it’s over. A shut out usually means the defenders have done their job and the gk has had a few shots at most and all into their zone of control.

if you are going to reward a gk this way (and for some gkers who feel horrible when they let something in, even if it’s not their fault, this is not the way to go) better reward them for stopping things in their zone of control, or give them 3 things they are working on (can’t hold in their head more than 3…for the youngest just one) and reward then for doing it well.

Please pay your kids for goals...if your player figures out how to score goals they will be like GOLD...the U.S. has no goal scorers, none. That's just one reason the U.S. is so bad...teach them to score and score as much as possible. That is one reason they are playing short sided and have no keepers when they are younger. They need to learn how to finish and finish as much as possible...so if they have to go by the whole team and then try and figure out some crazy way to get the ball in the net, well then, good for them!!! Because if they know how to score, there will be a tremendous amount of opportunity for them!!!!!!!

So pay them and pay them often, we need more goal scores!!!

Please pay your kids for goals...if your player figures out how to score goals they will be like GOLD...the U.S. has no goal scorers, none. That's just one reason the U.S. is so bad...teach them to score and score as much as possible. That is one reason they are playing short sided and have no keepers when they are younger. They need to learn how to finish and finish as much as possible...so if they have to go by the whole team and then try and figure out some crazy way to get the ball in the net, well then, good for them!!! Because if they know how to score, there will be a tremendous amount of opportunity for them!!!!!!!

Please do not tell us that winning is important in soccer, because it is not. This is an egalitarian activity, please chop your kid's leg if s/he scores.
Please adhere to the party line.

Please do not tell us that winning is important in soccer, because it is not. This is an egalitarian activity, please chop your kid's leg if s/he scores.
Please adhere to the party line.
Who said anything about winning. do you fear winning? because you are the first one to bring it up?

But lets just focus on that for a second....First of all the purpose of this game is to score more goals than the other team, that is the purpose of the game, and you do play the game to win...I don't hear a lot of kids say before a game say, hey, lets go lose this one??? What, of course they play to win, they won't always win and that is were the lessons are learned, but do not ever mistake, that every kid that plays at a competitive level wants to win every time they are on the field, and if they don't want to win ever time, they aren't that competitive and that is okay too.. You play basketball for the same reason, to put the ball in the basket. Egalitarian..haha, really, everyone has a role, and a key role in soccer is someone that can put the ball in the net.

Maybe you do not watch a lot of soccer, but it is clear on our national team that the 9 is a big problem, why? We need players that can score, teach them at a young age to put the ball in the net, it is the purpose of the game. As they get older, if they have a good coach or parent that understands the game, they will learn more of the tactical aspects of the game.

But, we need goal scorers!!! It is as much of a mentality as it is a skill, if a kid can learn early and have the feeling that they can scorer, that is incredible and we are missing that in our game.

Who said anything about winning. do you fear winning? because you are the first one to bring it up?

But lets just focus on that for a second....First of all the purpose of this game is to score more goals than the other team, that is the purpose of the game, and you do play the game to win...I don't hear a lot of kids say before a game say, hey, lets go lose this one??? What, of course they play to win, they won't always win and that is were the lessons are learned, but do not ever mistake, that every kid that plays at a competitive level wants to win every time they are on the field, and if they don't want to win ever time, they aren't that competitive and that is okay too.. You play basketball for the same reason, to put the ball in the basket. Egalitarian..haha, really, everyone has a role, and a key role in soccer is someone that can put the ball in the net.

Maybe you do not watch a lot of soccer, but it is clear on our national team that the 9 is a big problem, why? We need players that can score, teach them at a young age to put the ball in the net, it is the purpose of the game. As they get older, if they have a good coach or parent that understands the game, they will learn more of the tactical aspects of the game.

But, we need goal scorers!!! It is as much of a mentality as it is a skill, if a kid can learn early and have the feeling that they can scorer, that is incredible and we are missing that in our game.
Sorry, I forgot to add that it was meant to be an ironic comment.
I have never watched soccer in my life, I'm a rugby league guy. I just stumbled upon this blog

I couldn't care less if other parents pay their kids for goals, I haven't done it myself, but you bring up some valid points. Once you get to about U13 a true finisher is priceless. I'm not necessarily talking about the dribbling wunderkid ;) that can beat players off the dribble, but the kid that can finish with both feet in as few of touches as possible, preferably one touch. The kid with the soccer IQ that has the knack for being in the right spot at right time. The kid that can get a directed head on the ball. The kid that can receive and settle the ball in tight spaces. The kid that can play with his back or front to the goal. The kid that understands that you shouldn't swing at a cross or corner with your inside foot, but should simply redirect the ball with the outside foot (pet peeve of mine). Yes this is the finishing unicorn. I really don't care that much if this kid can pass, has 20 dribbling moves or can juggle 1000 times. I just want the kid to finish when given the few chances in a game.

I couldn't care less if other parents pay their kids for goals, I haven't done it myself, but you bring up some valid points. Once you get to about U13 a true finisher is priceless. I'm not necessarily talking about the dribbling wunderkid ;) that can beat players off the dribble, but the kid that can finish with both feet in as few of touches as possible, preferably one touch. The kid with the soccer IQ that has the knack for being in the right spot at right time. The kid that can get a directed head on the ball. The kid that can receive and settle the ball in tight spaces. The kid that can play with his back or front to the goal. The kid that understands that you shouldn't swing at a cross or corner with your inside foot, but should simply redirect the ball with the outside foot (pet peeve of mine). Yes this is the finishing unicorn. I really don't care that much if this kid can pass, has 20 dribbling moves or can juggle 1000 times. I just want the kid to finish when given the few chances in a game.

Even watching games at the college level, I m disappointed at the few players who know how to play a bouncing ball (hint: kick it when it hits the ground), those who don't know where to play on a teammate's corner kick (could be coaching) and those who dribble right into double or triple coverage as if a miracle were about to occur.

Even watching games at the college level, I m disappointed at the few players who know how to play a bouncing ball (hint: kick it when it hits the ground), those who don't know where to play on a teammate's corner kick (could be coaching) and those who dribble right into double or triple coverage as if a miracle were about to occur.
Sometimes it is better to run through a bouncing ball and control it on the second touch.

Sometimes it is better to run through a bouncing ball and control it on the second touch.

I think kids first learn to wait for the ball to stop bouncing, and then learn to kick it at the top of the bounce. I found out a long time ago how to trap a ball when it hits the ground, or just blast a shot before it bounces up again.

Back