Do defenders get recruited???

Haha! I've been educating myself on how the US soccer-world works by reading this forum for the past couple of months.
And "APRIL FOOLS!!" to all that respond and carry on with your posts. Nice one

Your post doesn't make any sense. There are many international YNT players playing collegiate soccer in the US.

What country are you from that you pay $1700 a year for club soccer?

You must be trying to pull an April Fools joke!

How am I not making sense?

She is a X citizen playing in X country in a semi-pro league where the majority on the team are X youth national team players/player pool players (mainly U17) coached by professional coaches. I know for a fact this type of set-up is the same in some European and Asian countries. The coaches are paid a salary. I guess our fees pay for uniforms, referees, video person, trainer and the team physiotherapist. Is US$1700 too high or too low???? I think it's reasonable. YNT players are subsidised and pay less than that.

She is looking to play in the US after high school because it looks fun to her and the quality has gotten better. We are just starting the process of contacting universities and trying to figure out who to target at this stage. No sense wasting time if she will not be considered due to her height.

My question has been answered. :cool:

Since your asking about her league - the other teams that we play against don't pay to play. They are subsidised by their younger age groups who pay about the same as us. The difference is that they don't have as good training or facilities. Some of the players on the other teams are paid to play. Very common for very good players to play up 3-4 years.

And don't worry she is not targeting California universities because we were also given the advise to target schools in states other than Texas and California because they have enough local players they don't need internationals.

We live in another country and the majority of YNT and NT players and player pool players play on semi-pro / pro teams - some girls starting from U14. There would only be maybe 10 per age group in the YNT player pool scattered throughout the country . YNT players and pool players play the whole 90 minutes to be match fit. I'm sure they do this in the US.

I thought from my posts it was clear she wasn't playing in the US. Maybe my English is not as good as I thought.

I did think your English was a little weird, and that you kept saying US universities, but I just thought you were trying to be super specific.... so ummm 2 questions (btw your English isn't bad you probably should have just said, "I don't live in the US" because this is kind of a Southern California forum, as in basically everybody on here is from Southern California and therefore it is natural for us to assume you are too)
1) So why, no, how did you find a Southern California soccer forum that a lot of soccer parents in this state, much less country know exist?
2) What country are you in then?

How about a Center Back (female) that is fast, explosive, strong, plays possession even under pressure, dribbles and passes well, good communicator, great first touch, great technical and tactical and has a high vertical leap. But won't be taller than 5'4"/5'5''.

Does this type of player/defender get recruited?

Is she physical? Then yes.

As a parent of a ulittle who plays primarily defense on a top team I was curious if colleges even look at defenders or does the offensive line tend to get most of the attention? Where they then look to transition them to defense as needed.
Thanks in advance,

Defenders in women's college soccer are like offensive and defensive lineman in football. They don't get much attention by the fans and the media but without great ones at team can only be so good. And just like when the NFL draft comes around when colleges are handing out the money top defenders do pretty well and really elite ones are highly sought after and tend to play more minutes earlier.

Defenders in women's college soccer are like offensive and defensive lineman in football. They don't get much attention by the fans and the media but without great ones at team can only be so good. And just like when the NFL draft comes around when colleges are handing out the money top defenders do pretty well and really elite ones are highly sought after and tend to play more minutes earlier.
I like the analogy with football, I liken the left and right back as cornerbacks on an island defending the best wide receivers. Those backs that can run, support, and defend are worth more than the weight of gold.

I like this analogy as well. Spot on IMO.

Cowboy said:
"I like the analogy with football, I liken the left and right back as cornerbacks on an island defending the best wide receivers. Those backs that can run, support, and defend are worth more than the weight of gold."

Agree! I like these comparisons. Again, spot on IMO.

With regard to forwards being converted to other positions, current Stanford Freshman Carly Malatsky scored 73 goals in her 2015-16 HS season, second all-time in CIF history. But by the end of her freshman year at Stanford she had been converted to right back, which is actually the position she played up until U14. http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9145 In the 12 games Stanford tried playing her at forward she earned a total of 236 minutes of playing time (and had zero goals). In the 7 games she played right back she enjoyed 540 minutes of playing time. It doesn't hurt to know how to defend.

With regard to forwards being converted to other positions, current Stanford Freshman Carly Malatsky scored 73 goals in her 2015-16 HS season, second all-time in CIF history. But by the end of her freshman year at Stanford she had been converted to right back, which is actually the position she played up until U14. http://www.gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9145 In the 12 games Stanford tried playing her at forward she earned a total of 236 minutes of playing time (and had zero goals). In the 7 games she played right back she enjoyed 540 minutes of playing time. It doesn't hurt to know how to defend.

I know her well as she was an ODP teammate of my player for many years. She was always a defender for ODP until her last year or two when she played midfield. I saw her plenty of times at Stanford and I agree with you. She was an okay forward. She is a solid defender. With the recruiting class coming in she is in a fight either way to hold on to her spot as KP is an excellent wideback and Haley, Kuhlman, Macario and Briede are all excellent forwards. Radcliffe always tries to get his best 10 field players on the pitch so versatility helps a ton there.

With regard to forwards being converted to other positions, current Stanford Freshman Carly Malatsky scored 73 goals in her 2015-16 HS season, second all-time in CIF history.

I doubt she would have scored that many goals in Trinity, South Coast or Sunset league. Not to diminish her abilities, but her number of goals at Tarbut isn't a good measuring stick.

I doubt she would have scored that many goals in Trinity, South Coast or Sunset league. Not to diminish her abilities, but her number of goals at Tarbut isn't a good measuring stick.

Most of her team and competition at Tarbut wouldn't have made the varsity roster of a Trinity, South Coast or Sunset league team. She was an elite player in an extremely small pond. She would have still been an elite player in any pond IMHO.

Most of her team and competition at Tarbut wouldn't have made the varsity roster of a Trinity, South Coast or Sunset league team. She was an elite player in an extremely small pond. She would have still been an elite player in any pond IMHO.
I remember one of my daughter's teammates at North County United, when she was u-10, being asked a serious question about where the best soccer players come from.
She replied with absolute certainty, .."Oceanside and Vista".

I remember one of my daughter's teammates at North County United, when she was u-10, being asked a serious question about where the best soccer players come from.
She replied with absolute certainty, .."Oceanside and Vista".

Yours was a big fish in a medium pond that found her way north to a big pond and grew into a shark.

Back