DMCV Sharks Girls Director

MacMillan is still at Sharks. Last 990 (public information) filed by DMCV in 2019 had her making $265k. You'd think with that kind of jack, their ECNL girls teams wouldn't be in the bottom three of every division, some didn't win a single game last season. I've seen the new girls coming over, it's not going to get any better this year.
The girls moving over to Sharks will make them more competitive than last year. I think Shannon made some mistakes with picking bad coaches for ECNL and not pushing for a more competitive environment immediately. MW should be making coaching changes to most of those ECNL girls teams.

MacMillan is still at Sharks. Last 990 (public information) filed by DMCV in 2019 had her making $265k. You'd think with that kind of jack, their ECNL girls teams wouldn't be in the bottom three of every division, some didn't win a single game last season. I've seen the new girls coming over, it's not going to get any better this year.
Good info on the 990. One of the only good decisions Mac has made in the last 5 years is hiring MW. How as a leader could she have let it get to this point? Also, how did the board of directors allow the losses to mount year after year without making an action?

MW can't make magic overnight with all the levels. G2009 ECNL team will likely be able to hold their own with recent changes.

Good info on the 990. One of the only good decisions Mac has made in the last 5 years is hiring MW. How as a leader could she have let it get to this point? Also, how did the board of directors allow the losses to mount year after year without making an action?

MW can't make magic overnight with all the levels. G2009 ECNL team will likely be able to hold their own with recent changes.
Among the people I knew who had Mac as a coach, she did not have a great reputation. They were much happier when Goran took over the team and the team got more competitive.

$265K? That’s insane!

Did MW bring his entire team over from Albion? Could make for a rough first season in GA for Albion's 2009 girls. If he did bring them over, it will be interesting to see how a GA squad will stack up in ECNL. What are they doing with the existing Sharks ECNL team? Sending them all to ECRL?

Did MW bring his entire team over from Albion? Could make for a rough first season in GA for Albion's 2009 girls. If he did bring them over, it will be interesting to see how a GA squad will stack up in ECNL. What are they doing with the existing Sharks ECNL team? Sending them all to ECRL?
I only hear about rumors, word is that some of the Albion G2009 GA players moved over.

No idea of how many or what Sharks plan to do with existing ECNL players.

Among the people I knew who had Mac as a coach, she did not have a great reputation. They were much happier when Goran took over the team and the team got more competitive.

Even worse before??......wo! as both his teams finished 14 out of 14 SW ECNL teams......Sharks as a club had an average finish of 13 eek..........

the threat of losing ecnl due to poor performance year on year across all age groups seems to have finally brought much needed change.......

For 2 hours a week. And a couple of years ago noting was reported. She must have renegotiated her contract.

Sometimes the best parts of an organization's financials are not disclosed on the 990s.

For 2 hours a week. And a couple of years ago noting was reported. She must have renegotiated her contract.

Sometimes the best parts of an organization's financials are not disclosed on the 990s.

AB5 may have made the difference in reporting as an employee vs contractor?

I've seen the new girls coming over, it's not going to get any better this year.

Things are not going to change overnight. I expect similar team records across most of the age groups for the 21-22 season. I'd bet 22-23 shows meaningful improvement though. Either way, it should be fun to see how this all plays out. Even with the negatives of the DA, at least there was SOME bit of parity with Surf in San Diego on the girls side. Talented players were staying at clubs like Albion and LAGSD (City SC) and keeping old team bonds and/or staying closer to home as they were at least playing in a league with top tier competion. There was also decent geographic disperion between the three clubs. All that went to shit when the DA folded and created quite the mess.

Things are not going to change overnight. I expect similar team records across most of the age groups for the 21-22 season. I'd bet 22-23 shows meaningful improvement though. Either way, it should be fun to see how this all plays out. Even with the negatives of the DA, at least there was SOME bit of parity with Surf in San Diego on the girls side. Talented players were staying at clubs like Albion and LAGSD (City SC) and keeping old team bonds and/or staying closer to home as they were at least playing in a league with top tier competion. There was also decent geographic disperion between the three clubs. All that went to shit when the DA folded and created quite the mess.
DA was a "problem" that solved itself. NEXT will be interesting to see if it suffers a simular fate. Both have the same issue they formalize a path to something that doesnt care or necessarily value those in the formalized path. What I mean is that the USNT and Pro teams will pull players from wherever they want.

Reguarding Albion and CitySC. Both Surf and Sharks are right next to each other. If players decide to jump from GA/NEXT to ECNL commute times will be roughly the same either way.

I see Sharks finally getting their house in order as a huge benefit to SD players by opening up ECNL possibilities for 18+ players in each age group.

Also with Presidio being replaced by Socal/Scdsl we're finally going to have a single league for all Socal youngers. All goodness.

DA was a "problem" that solved itself. NEXT will be interesting to see if it suffers a simular fate. Both have the same issue they formalize a path to something that doesnt care or necessarily value those in the formalized path. What I mean is that the USNT and Pro teams will pull players from wherever they want.

Reguarding Albion and CitySC. Both Surf and Sharks are right next to each other. If players decide to jump from GA/NEXT to ECNL commute times will be roughly the same either way.

I see Sharks finally getting their house in order as a huge benefit to SD players by opening up ECNL possibilities for 18+ players in each age group.

Also with Presidio being replaced by Socal/Scdsl we're finally going to have a single league for all Socal youngers. All goodness.
Sorry, but in the long term ECNL is not good for the development of high end players. It is a monopoly whose main focus is protecting the interests of member clubs and lining the pocket books of those in charge. It causes local teams not to play one another and drive farther.

Sorry, but in the long term ECNL is not good for the development of high end players. It is a monopoly whose main focus is protecting the interests of member clubs and lining the pocket books of those in charge. It causes local teams not to play one another and drive farther.

There’s definite merit to what you’re saying but whether you like it or not it puts 99% of the best players on teams that play each other….competition vs the best a key in sports development

Sharks biggest problem is field space...they don't have much and what they do have isn't very good or it's really expensive. Renting fields from the local high schools is getting more costly every year ($100 an hour if you can get them) and to put quality teams into ECNL you need decent places to practice. Surf has the Polo Fields and City has plenty of high quality, large turf fields (Pine, Aviara, Poinsettia, Stagecoach). Unless Sharks is able develop their own property it's really not going to get much better. Does anyone really think top ECNL girls from Surf are going to jump to Sharks when they just beat them 8-0 in league play? The girls they are going to get are not the the girls they want which is what is happening right now.

Sharks biggest problem is field space...they don't have much and what they do have isn't very good or it's really expensive. Renting fields from the local high schools is getting more costly every year ($100 an hour if you can get them) and to put quality teams into ECNL you need decent places to practice. Surf has the Polo Fields and City has plenty of high quality, large turf fields (Pine, Aviara, Poinsettia, Stagecoach). Unless Sharks is able develop their own property it's really not going to get much better. Does anyone really think top ECNL girls from Surf are going to jump to Sharks when they just beat them 8-0 in league play? The girls they are going to get are not the the girls they want which is what is happening right now.
The fields comment is a valid concern.

But, last I heard the same college recruiters are on the field when Surf + Sharks play.

Top players will get noticed (and likely recruited) no matter what team they're on. (within reason)

I loved the polo fields but good coaches, leadership and players overcomes imperfect fields....... they've long been an issue for Real, Breakers, Arsenal and all outperform Sharks...... Eagles have much much better field access than say Beach but I know who my money is on...........

What you say is true, and one of the myriad of challenges the club faces. In fact, I think field space was a primary driver for Sharks considering the Surf affiliation a couple years back. If I recall, the ability to use the polo fields for training was going to be part of the deal. I'd have to assume nearby schools like Torrey Pines, Canyon Crest and Cathedral either aren't available or are too expensive. Shark's did have a high school field a while back but it was in Solana Beach I think and not ideal. It's a tough situation for sure, but things can change in a hurry as we know. And no, Sharks will not attract top players from Surf (unless those players/parents developed an issue with the club for whatever reason) and I highly doubt that is their goal or expectation anyways. There's tons of great players in San Diego outside Surf's top starting 11 though that can help build competitive teams and hone their game against some of the best teams in SoCal. Seems like a no brainer to me. Parents and players just have to see the forest through the trees and understand that losing games is not the end of the world or indicative of something overly negative.

There’s definite merit to what you’re saying but whether you like it or not it puts 99% of the best players on teams that play each other….competition vs the best a key in sports development
I agree that competition vs the best is the key, but your percentage is way too high. The bad parts of ECNL are the same with any monopoly except it applies to children. The best system was USYS National League and National Championships that provided a pathway for any team to challenge for the championship. Until they change their name to Elite Teams National League, ECNL will miss out on many potential top players who are geographically or financially challenged. USYS National League motto is "Earn Your Place" and by definition, individual ECNL teams do not.

Back