Discovery League- "We've created a monster!!!"

I do that all the time. Kid doesn't need a flight label to know that. Needs to see it in individual games.

My kid isn't an idiot. She understands that she is better at 16 than she was at 15, but so is everyone else and advancement is relative in direct competition. If her team gets promoted even though they finished dead last, she doesn't think they got any better relative to other teams. I would have to explain to her not to worry because all the teams got promoted and it is the same as last year. She doesn't believe in the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or Santa Claus, so I am pretty much done lying to her.
you are lucky. my kid isn't that sharp. he is flight iii but i have him convinced he is playing mls next. he lives in a happy false bubble. may not be great for his long term development but short term has been pleasant.

ECNL, MLS Next are today’s premier teams- only a few Discovery teams can play with them on a regular basic. Clubs with RL/ MLS equivalent etc are the second teams (old gold). Clubs that have the above are playing their 3rd team in Discovery (old silver)

There are 116 total teams in the 03/04 age bracket.
They are set up:
50 - Discovery Teams
37 -Flight 1 Teams
21 -Flight 2 Teams
8 - Flight 4 Teams(not sure why they skip flight 3, but whatever).

I took statistics in college and barely remember it. But I think the curve should probably look like:
29 - Discovery Teams (really should just be named Flight 1)
56- Flight 1 Teams (Really should just be named Flight 2)
29 - Flight 2 Teams (Really should just be named Flight 3)

But this lipstick covered pig is going to be hard to unwind.
There is no need to be overly critical on how we label the flights. In UK they don't call the second division Flight 2 either. They call it "Championship". LOL.

There is no need to be overly critical on how we label the flights. In UK they don't call the second division Flight 2 either. They call it "Championship". LOL.

They also have the pub league so using adult monikers for youth doesn't really translate.

No reason to be misleading or gloss up the different brackets, kids know what's up. They don't need labels

A,B,D, 1-4 Call them what they really are,. Hiding behind some marketing terms like discovery is just for the parents or clubs.

Socal league could be two tiers:. Competitive and Recreational.

Competitive could travel but starts @ 11v11 only. High school team players would fit in this tier and games scheduled appropriately.

Recreational is everyone else flight x to 4. Local play in the same county home & away. All 9v9 or youngers + other 11v11 teams that don't fit or earn there ways into competitive by winning tournaments, leagues, etc.

League cup for rec at the end of the fall season before winter break.

Of course those names won't sell so you get "discovery", flight 4, super elite, blah, blah

Competitive could travel but starts @ 11v11 only. High school team players would fit in this tier and games scheduled appropriately.

Recreational is everyone else flight x to 4 or. Local play in the same county home & away. All 9v9 or youngers + other 11v11 teams that don't fit or earn there ways into competitive by winning tournaments, leagues, etc.

Of course those names won't sell so this you get "discovery", flight 4, super elite, blah, blah

So, the top 9v9 players in socal would all play rec?

That would pretty much ruin the game for normal rec players. Why bother learning to dribble? Just kick the ball to mini-Marta. She’ll score. But next week we play the team with mini-Becky. The whole team will enjoy watching those two play.

Recreational is everyone else flight x to 4. Local play in the same county home & away. All 9v9 or youngers + other 11v11 teams that don't fit or earn there ways into competitive by winning tournaments, leagues, etc.

Of course those names won't sell so you get "discovery", flight 4, super elite, blah, blah

How about rec leagues setting their fees so that there is enough left over to pay for free entry to the post-season tournament for the highest finishers in the league?

That would pretty much ruin the game for normal rec players. Why bother learning to dribble? Just kick the ball to mini-Marta. She’ll score. But next week we play the team with mini-Becky. The whole team will enjoy watching those two play.
I for one want to watch mini-Marta and mini-Becky!

Nope more competitive 9v9 can play for vs other "Top" teams but locally or in the same county/region. it's called recreation since that's what it is.

Rec can have different flights but without the 6 hours to travel to play another so called top team. Plenty of travel tournaments for that and many years at 11v11.

Nope more competitive 9v9 can play for vs other "Top" teams but locally or in the same county/region. it's called recreation since that's what it is.

Rec can have different flights but without the 6 hours to travel to play another so called top team. Plenty of travel tournaments for that and many years at 11v11.
I like the plan to keep it local. Even 11v11, 6 hours for a league game is crazy.

You use the word “rec” differently than I do. To me, it means local leagues with no tryouts. Also a good thing, but completely different from what you mean.

If you played in Discovery this year (and your team was in the top half of the standings), will you try to have your kid play discovery again next year?
(Assuming no major changes to the structure around game locations, etc. And assuming your kid is not going to move "up" to ECNL).

If you played in Discovery this year (and your team was in the top half of the standings), will you try to have your kid play discovery again next year?
(Assuming no major changes to the structure around game locations, etc. And assuming your kid is not going to move "up" to ECNL).
Candidly, after all of the driving and no home games, I would look to get my kid on an ECRL team (if not able to make an ECNL team). That way half of our games are in Orange County. 4.5-5 hours (2 hour game, arrive an hour early, and drive both ways) for every game on a Saturday and/or Sunday is ridiculous.

I think the intent of the division is very good. But the execution creates burnout for players and parents (especially the older players who have other things they want to do on the weekends).

Candidly, after all of the driving and no home games, I would look to get my kid on an ECRL team (if not able to make an ECNL team). That way half of our games are in Orange County. 4.5-5 hours (2 hour game, arrive an hour early, and drive both ways) for every game on a Saturday and/or Sunday is ridiculous.

I think the intent of the division is very good. But the execution creates burnout for players and parents (especially the older players who have other things they want to do on the weekends).
Why not "just" flight 1?

Yes, possibly for both kids. For us drive to Silverlakes is not too bad and facilities are good.
Not interested in the drive required for ECNL/ECRL (assuming kids would be good enough, which they are probably not)

EDIT: much different story if we get sent to Oceanside. That would be a no no

ECRL for the 09 boys is equivalent to flight 2. It’s pretty awful…it’s either Discovery or ECNL. I am sure next year you will see the best ECNL players migrate MLS next.

Yes, possibly for both kids. For us drive to Silverlakes is not too bad and facilities are good.
Not interested in the drive required for ECNL/ECRL (assuming kids would be good enough, which they are probably not)

EDIT: much different story if we get sent to Oceanside. That would be a no no
we play ECRL and have gone out of the area 2x

Survey says travel sports are just getting more expensive.

The transportation costs alone are getting to be too much and when you work weekends forget about it.

More local play in the long run will save $$, time, and be better for many things. Not having fans, friends, family members at games cheering the players is kind of a bummer for everyone.

Should just reconsider, instead of 400 teams traveling distance ever weekend to play at complexes make that just 100 or so. Top 12 teams each age group or something like that, everyone else home and away local. The self flighting thing is kind of joke, earned it in some other way either through a play in tournament or some other standardized way.

The rat system chasing cheese (dubs) is just a marketing ploy, talk with your club management and demand change.

We are SoCal Flight 2 team and scrimmage a Discovery team all the time. Matches are dead even. Found our happy place in Fight 2. Good competition and limited travel. Just quit drinking the acronym Kool Aid.

Back