Did you already got over the virus without knowing it???

O.k. So here's my story...now that I'm finally on the upswing. 2 Thursdays ago I started coming down with what I thought was a cold. I had a very mild weird pain in my nose. Given the warnings that had come out, and given that I was involved in emergency planning for work and my kids' school, I started social distancing and fortunately that weekend I declined to referee some games and I didn't go into work Friday. Things continued like they would for a cold...I had a scratchy throat and a small periodic cough and some muscle aches but nothing really bad so I didn't really even think it was the flu since I didn't have a fever The week before I had been in a bunch of planning meetings so might have picked it up there, but at the time I thought I must have caught a cold from someone since I hadn't been oversees or even on an airplane recently. Then Monday night I took a very bad turn for the worse. My temp shot up to 102.9 and the cough began to get really pervasive and nonstop every second.

Tuesday morning I called my doc who ordered a flu test and the flu test came back negative. He then had me call the ER, which referred me to the county, which after 1.5 hours on hold referred me back to my doctor...no tests available. My fever was now no longer high, which had us relaxing a bit that it wasn't "it" because my temp was fluctuating between normal, to under 99.5 (which is still considered normal) to 100. But by Wednesday night both my lungs were on fire and I felt like I was drowning. Unlike a cold, which progressed from region to region of my lungs usually, this was a pervasive fire across my lungs and even some pain. Fortunately, because of an autoimmune condition I had a year ago, I had a bunch of predisone and an inhaler. The medical advice right now is mixed on whether a steroid is a good thing, but taking 60 mg of the predisone (a very high dose) allowed me to open up my lungs, because otherwise it would have been an ambulance and emergency room for me. I was able to sleep fitfully. Thursday was rough with ongoing breathing problems and crackling in my lungs, but I continued to improve on the predisone so my doctor did not admit me. By Friday I was in recovery and the fever had disappated completely which was a good sign, but I continued to feel really sick and had pain in my lungs through the weekend til about yesterday. My left lung is pretty much clear at this point, though my right lung remains a tiny bit congested and it causes a cough every 20 minutes or so.

Still, I've been sick 15+ days now, never had sneezing or a runny nose, and it didn't feel like flu's I've had before or even pertussis. This was just an all out assault on my lungs and I've never had that sensation before like I was drowning. I've never felt ill in that precise way before, and the most recent time I've been this sick was when I caught chicken pox in my 20s. So that's my story. Looks like I'm out of danger, I'm more sure now than not that I've had the dreaded bug (given the symptoms and how uniquely strange this illness felt), and even then I'm described as a potential "mild"-"moderate" case since I was only in potential distress 1 day. If I were a little bit older (I'm in my 40s) or not in as good of health (I ran up until recently a couple miles a day), I could totally see having to go on a ventillator for the thing.
F@ck! Glad you are on the mend.

Soccerfan2

SILVER ELITE
O.k. So here's my story...now that I'm finally on the upswing. 2 Thursdays ago I started coming down with what I thought was a cold. I had a very mild weird pain in my nose. Given the warnings that had come out, and given that I was involved in emergency planning for work and my kids' school, I started social distancing and fortunately that weekend I declined to referee some games and I didn't go into work Friday. Things continued like they would for a cold...I had a scratchy throat and a small periodic cough and some muscle aches but nothing really bad so I didn't really even think it was the flu since I didn't have a fever The week before I had been in a bunch of planning meetings so might have picked it up there, but at the time I thought I must have caught a cold from someone since I hadn't been oversees or even on an airplane recently. Then Monday night I took a very bad turn for the worse. My temp shot up to 102.9 and the cough began to get really pervasive and nonstop every second.

Tuesday morning I called my doc who ordered a flu test and the flu test came back negative. He then had me call the ER, which referred me to the county, which after 1.5 hours on hold referred me back to my doctor...no tests available. My fever was now no longer high, which had us relaxing a bit that it wasn't "it" because my temp was fluctuating between normal, to under 99.5 (which is still considered normal) to 100. But by Wednesday night both my lungs were on fire and I felt like I was drowning. Unlike a cold, which progressed from region to region of my lungs usually, this was a pervasive fire across my lungs and even some pain. Fortunately, because of an autoimmune condition I had a year ago, I had a bunch of predisone and an inhaler. The medical advice right now is mixed on whether a steroid is a good thing, but taking 60 mg of the predisone (a very high dose) allowed me to open up my lungs, because otherwise it would have been an ambulance and emergency room for me. I was able to sleep fitfully. Thursday was rough with ongoing breathing problems and crackling in my lungs, but I continued to improve on the predisone so my doctor did not admit me. By Friday I was in recovery and the fever had disappated completely which was a good sign, but I continued to feel really sick and had pain in my lungs through the weekend til about yesterday. My left lung is pretty much clear at this point, though my right lung remains a tiny bit congested and it causes a cough every 20 minutes or so.

Still, I've been sick 15+ days now, never had sneezing or a runny nose, and it didn't feel like flu's I've had before or even pertussis. This was just an all out assault on my lungs and I've never had that sensation before like I was drowning. I've never felt ill in that precise way before, and the most recent time I've been this sick was when I caught chicken pox in my 20s. So that's my story. Looks like I'm out of danger, I'm more sure now than not that I've had the dreaded bug (given the symptoms and how uniquely strange this illness felt), and even then I'm described as a potential "mild"-"moderate" case since I was only in potential distress 1 day. If I were a little bit older (I'm in my 40s) or not in as good of health (I ran up until recently a couple miles a day), I could totally see having to go on a ventillator for the thing.
That’s really scary. Glad you are ok. Thank you for sharing.

Dominic

DA
Staff member

This has me worried. I am into day two of a fatigued flu like feeling and muscle soreness in my back. I thought it was going to progress into a cold and it hasnt, it feels like something that is different. No fever right now just fatigue, and no sneezing or runny nose.

This has me worried. I am into day two of a fatigued flu like feeling and muscle soreness in my back. I thought it was going to progress into a cold and it hasnt, it feels like something that is different. No fever right now just fatigue, and no sneezing or runny nose.
I got sick in the middle of December. Had a fever for a couple hours, but extreme fatigue for 8 straight days. Finally went to a walk-in clinic. Dr. listened with a stethoscope, heard nothing. Did X Rays, saw nothing. Ran blood work, everything came back normal. Maybe I already had it, who knows.

Dominic

DA
Staff member
Thanks Soccer661

I am getting worse but have no fever or cough. The flu feeling is strong right now and I have diarrhea. I emailed my Kaiser doc and he has not gotten back with me. It seems like the only time you got to the hospital is when you have trouble breathing, and my lungs feel fine right now. This slow progression isn't like any other sickness I have had. Please take this virus seriously and minimize your families contact with the public.

Thanks Soccer661

I am getting worse but have no fever or cough. The flu feeling is strong right now and I have diarrhea. I emailed my Kaiser doc and he has not gotten back with me. It seems like the only time you got to the hospital is when you have trouble breathing, and my lungs feel fine right now. This slow progression isn't like any other sickness I have had. Please take this virus seriously and minimize your families contact with the public.
Any gastro issues?

Thanks Soccer661

I also heard it can take away your sense of taste and smell.

Eagle33

GOLD
Thanks Soccer661

Really hope you have just a regular stomach flu. 2 month ago nobody would even think much of it.
Thinking about this, we are so focused on COVID-19 that we don't take into consideration anymore that flu and cold and other things are still out there.

Poconos

GOLD
it hadn't dawned on me before a moment ago, but i believe we will see a baby boom from this mess. you lock up a couple and they will find ways to entertain themselves.

Thanks Soccer661

it would be unusual to have it without a fever...hence all the thermometers out at airport screening, etc. still, self-isolate and if your breathing deteriorates then go to ER if you have underlying medical issues (if you can't get hold of your doc). If you don't have underlying medical issues and can breathe decently, ride it out as long as you can. Good luck and keep us updated.

Speed

SILVER ELITE
what do you mean the flu feeling? At kaiser they have 48 hours to get back to you from an email and in my case the response was to call in for an appt.....you should call in and request a telehealth appt.
Thanks Soccer661

Dominic

DA
Staff member
Day 6 very fatigued , it comes and goes. My eyes have been itchy and my smell is dulled. No fever or cough though.

Day 6 very fatigued , it comes and goes. My eyes have been itchy and my smell is dulled. No fever or cough though.
do you typically have seasonal allergies? now is the time for that. Fatigue can be cyclical -- stress and not sleeping as well bc other symptoms keeping you awake at night. though it would be unusual to not have cough nor fever, I think you have to assume you have it and self isolate. But remember, 80% of people have mild symptoms--like those you're describing now--and don't need hospitalization. Also 90% of people getting tested are negative, and most of them likely have symptoms similar to yours. 80% Covid patients recover in 14 days. If you share the house with others, you need to close yourself in a room and use a bathroom that they don't. Have them leave your food outside the door. If your fatigue goes away and just have itchy eyes and diluted smell without fever/cough, then you might be ok.