Did you already got over the virus without knowing it???

Eagle33

GOLD
Just looking back to November last year.....I had what appears to be all symptoms of the virus. Fever in the beginning, sore throat and then dry cough for over a month. Went to a doctor who tested and said it's not a flu (I had a flu shot last year). I didn't fly out of the country but did fly domestically. After about a month it was gone. I know quite a few people who had the same thing I had. So did we already got over it? Just thinking out load....

MSK357

SILVER
Just looking back to November last year.....I had what appears to be all symptoms of the virus. Fever in the beginning, sore throat and then dry cough for over a month. Went to a doctor who tested and said it's not a flu (I had a flu shot last year). I didn't fly out of the country but did fly domestically. After about a month it was gone. I know quite a few people who had the same thing I had. So did we already got over it? Just thinking out load....
its possible, only 20% get hospitalized from this virus. The rest are mild cases or asymptomatic. That 20% include 3rd world countries and rural areas like china who don't have access to quality healthcare. so far in the u.s. all those cases are over 60 with health problems that have a hard time handling pneumonia or the seasonal flu.

Now that you mention it I did have a cough back then for a while that didn't seem to want to go away but did eventually. Still seriously doubt it is related. Timing doesn't fit.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a cold every winter, usually spanning the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It got so bad last year that I spent a night in the hospital ("You have COPD and chronic bronchitis."). In May I spent most of a day in urgent care when my symptoms returned, so they adjusted my medication routine and I have been breathing ok ever since. I measure my lung capacity every morning and use an inhaler twice a day. This last winter, the first since I got on the proper regimen, my winter cold was limited to a few days of runny nose and a couple of sores on my face.

For as long as I can remember, I have had a cold every winter, usually spanning the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It got so bad last year that I spent a night in the hospital ("You have COPD and chronic bronchitis."). In May I spent most of a day in urgent care when my symptoms returned, so they adjusted my medication routine and I have been breathing ok ever since. I measure my lung capacity every morning and use an inhaler twice a day. This last winter, the first since I got on the proper regimen, my winter cold was limited to a few days of runny nose and a couple of sores on my face.
Dude, I hope you are really isolating yourself right now.

I had the exact same symptoms over Thanksgiving (with a few more severe symptoms). It came in with relatives from out of town. Almost all of us got it. I was thinking that when this is all over, I should get tested just to see...

Eagle33

GOLD
I had the exact same symptoms over Thanksgiving (with a few more severe symptoms). It came in with relatives from out of town. Almost all of us got it. I was thinking that when this is all over, I should get tested just to see...
If we don't get sick, it means we did have it already

If it's from November last year then no, it's almost impossible you had it unless you were coming back from China. The virus doubles in a region every day. If it was in circulation in November, it would have been impossible for us not to see it in the ERs. We know this because the Chinese picked it up in December and tried to purposefully suppress it but it was obvious something was going on to the doctors on the ground. There are other coronaviruses that have similar symptoms to this one and that tend to cause chest colds.

There's a 50/50 shot I have it right now. Will share the story some other time but if you are in your 40s-50s the thing that will set you off is a negative flu test but that this is unlike any other flu you've ever had before. Can't get tested...doctor doesn't want me in the office sends me to ER, ER sends me to the county health board, county health board sends me to the doctor. Thankfully not in critical condition but am more sick right now than at any time since I caught chicken pox in my 20s and it's really evident there's something very out of the ordinary wrong with me. Yes, I've been staying away self-isolating from everyone. Think I'm on the upswing now but it's been a very rough 9 days so far.

Ansu Fati

SILVER
If it's from November last year then no, it's almost impossible you had it unless you were coming back from China. The virus doubles in a region every day. If it was in circulation in November, it would have been impossible for us not to see it in the ERs. We know this because the Chinese picked it up in December and tried to purposefully suppress it but it was obvious something was going on to the doctors on the ground. There are other coronaviruses that have similar symptoms to this one and that tend to cause chest colds.

There's a 50/50 shot I have it right now. Will share the story some other time but if you are in your 40s-50s the thing that will set you off is a negative flu test but that this is unlike any other flu you've ever had before. Can't get tested...doctor doesn't want me in the office sends me to ER, ER sends me to the county health board, county health board sends me to the doctor. Thankfully not in critical condition but am more sick right now than at any time since I caught chicken pox in my 20s and it's really evident there's something very out of the ordinary wrong with me. Yes, I've been staying away self-isolating from everyone. Think I'm on the upswing now but it's been a very rough 9 days so far.
Wishing you a speedy, complete recovery.

Dominic

DA
Staff member

Thank you for sharing with us! I wish you a full recovery soon.

Speed

SILVER ELITE
My Chinese boss who had family recently visiting China in November was very sick Nov/Dec. Symptoms completely mirror COVID. Tested negative for the flu and has recovered but it was a rough 2 months. But says it was completely like no other illness she has had. She's 40 and healthy. Although not confirmed through testing she is sure she had it.

My Chinese boss who had family recently visiting China in November was very sick Nov/Dec. Symptoms completely mirror COVID. Tested negative for the flu and has recovered but it was a rough 2 months. But says it was completely like no other illness she has had. She's 40 and healthy. Although not confirmed through testing she is sure she had it.
I assume your boss is in the US and not to be a cynic, but COVID19 is apparently highly contagious. If your boss had it in Nov/Dec, then wouldn't it have spread rapidly and widely.

I assume your boss is in the US and not to be a cynic, but COVID19 is apparently highly contagious. If your boss had it in Nov/Dec, then wouldn't it have spread rapidly and widely.
Yes and it has, so many have likely already had it and just thought it was a Cold or a bad flu (it affects people differently). The US hasn’t been able to test for it so it gets scripted in the medical books as a URI, General Viral Infection or Cold.

Speed

SILVER ELITE
Yes and it has, so many have likely already had it and just thought it was a Cold or a bad flu (it affects people differently). The US hasn’t been able to test for it so it gets scripted in the medical books as a URI, General Viral Infection or Cold.
yes that's exactly what happened. I work from home but there were lots of sick people in our offices at that time. But most thought they had the flu (some did) and others were tested for flu (neg) then the fall back was some viral infection

Speed

SILVER ELITE
who is to say it didn't if they didn't test for it. Yes in the US. COVID19 isn't usually fatal and many recover from it without any medical intervention.

O.k. So here's my story...now that I'm finally on the upswing. 2 Thursdays ago I started coming down with what I thought was a cold. I had a very mild weird pain in my nose. Given the warnings that had come out, and given that I was involved in emergency planning for work and my kids' school, I started social distancing and fortunately that weekend I declined to referee some games and I didn't go into work Friday. Things continued like they would for a cold...I had a scratchy throat and a small periodic cough and some muscle aches but nothing really bad so I didn't really even think it was the flu since I didn't have a fever The week before I had been in a bunch of planning meetings so might have picked it up there, but at the time I thought I must have caught a cold from someone since I hadn't been oversees or even on an airplane recently. Then Monday night I took a very bad turn for the worse. My temp shot up to 102.9 and the cough began to get really pervasive and nonstop every second.

Tuesday morning I called my doc who ordered a flu test and the flu test came back negative. He then had me call the ER, which referred me to the county, which after 1.5 hours on hold referred me back to my doctor...no tests available. My fever was now no longer high, which had us relaxing a bit that it wasn't "it" because my temp was fluctuating between normal, to under 99.5 (which is still considered normal) to 100. But by Wednesday night both my lungs were on fire and I felt like I was drowning. Unlike a cold, which progressed from region to region of my lungs usually, this was a pervasive fire across my lungs and even some pain. Fortunately, because of an autoimmune condition I had a year ago, I had a bunch of predisone and an inhaler. The medical advice right now is mixed on whether a steroid is a good thing, but taking 60 mg of the predisone (a very high dose) allowed me to open up my lungs, because otherwise it would have been an ambulance and emergency room for me. I was able to sleep fitfully. Thursday was rough with ongoing breathing problems and crackling in my lungs, but I continued to improve on the predisone so my doctor did not admit me. By Friday I was in recovery and the fever had disappated completely which was a good sign, but I continued to feel really sick and had pain in my lungs through the weekend til about yesterday. My left lung is pretty much clear at this point, though my right lung remains a tiny bit congested and it causes a cough every 20 minutes or so.

Still, I've been sick 15+ days now, never had sneezing or a runny nose, and it didn't feel like flu's I've had before or even pertussis. This was just an all out assault on my lungs and I've never had that sensation before like I was drowning. I've never felt ill in that precise way before, and the most recent time I've been this sick was when I caught chicken pox in my 20s. So that's my story. Looks like I'm out of danger, I'm more sure now than not that I've had the dreaded bug (given the symptoms and how uniquely strange this illness felt), and even then I'm described as a potential "mild"-"moderate" case since I was only in potential distress 1 day. If I were a little bit older (I'm in my 40s) or not in as good of health (I ran up until recently a couple miles a day), I could totally see having to go on a ventillator for the thing.