Desert Cup

wow.. is that a function of lack of development or simply the player movement. GYSA, CCV and Sandsharks are smaller clubs that kids outgrow and move on to bigger clubs when/if they get good. Not sure this is a knock on Sereno/RSL. Are the Rising/SCDS all developed within the club or or start somewhere else? I just can't imagine driving from where GYS practices to North... that has to be 45-hour each way.
I'd say 80% of SCDS U14 team joined from U12 onward. Rising & Arsenal tend to develop within the club predominantly, whereas RSL & SCDS tend to scout/recruit. TBH, I think this works for the smaller clubs. If the kids are good enough, then they should move to the elite teams, but if not, they can stay where they are at. If all 4 only picked their own players, they would potentially "kill" most of the clubs in the valley (girls only obv.).

I'd say 80% of SCDS U14 team joined from U12 onward. Rising & Arsenal tend to develop within the club predominantly, whereas RSL & SCDS tend to scout/recruit. TBH, I think this works for the smaller clubs. If the kids are good enough, then they should move to the elite teams, but if not, they can stay where they are at. If all 4 only picked their own players, they would potentially "kill" most of the clubs in the valley (girls only obv.).

Who decides who the elite teams are?

Those groups are composed of elite teams because they decide who the elite teams are?

What country!
Yeah, they are deemed the elite platforms, so if they accept a club, that club is deemed an elite club. I'd have thought that is pretty uncontroversial.

By whom, and/or by what process?

What is their record against teams that do not deem themselves the elite?
By college coaches recruiting from those leagues and seeing those leagues as the primary source for talent.

By US Soccer looking to those leagues as the primary source for their NT players.

You know all this obviously.

Is there a reason you are being cantankerous?

By whom, and/or by what process?

What is their record against teams that do not deem themselves the elite?
The ECNL teams seem to do just fine when they play other teams.

I think it's lame that they dont extend invitations to outside teams with strong records, but I wont pretend they dont play well.

By college coaches recruiting from those leagues and seeing those leagues as the primary source for talent.

By US Soccer looking to those leagues as the primary source for their NT players.

You know all this obviously.

Is there a reason you are being cantankerous?

Really? Let's look at the performance of the USSF PDA on the boys side. The PDA was started in 2007 or 2008 with the stated purpose of developing players into world-class level within 10 years. In the last World Cup cycle, just by coincidence about 10 years after the start of PDA, the USA failed to qualify a team for the first time in as long as I can remember.

They may be gathering the best players, but there is no concrete evidence that they are developing those players any better than the old ways.

Really? Let's look at the performance of the USSF PDA on the boys side. The PDA was started in 2007 or 2008 with the stated purpose of developing players into world-class level within 10 years. In the last World Cup cycle, just by coincidence about 10 years after the start of PDA, the USA failed to qualify a team for the first time in as long as I can remember.

They may be gathering the best players, but there is no concrete evidence that they are developing those players any better than the old ways.
That's a tangential conversation. The ECNL & GAL are the US elite girls youth leagues per my comments above.

I agree with you on the DA and development generally, but then again, there are more and more younger MNT players playing in Europe and even in champions league. The current crop has more potential than the US has had in some time. I'm unconvinced as to the MNT coach mind you, and it is extremely difficult for any NT coach to gel a team a few times a year. The best way of doing that is playing a system the team is used to and has grown up with, so the 4-3-3 that the US is so sold on ... but you need specific players to make the best of that. I'm pretty hopeful that the US will be extremely competitive for the 2026 World Cup, on home soil, albeit I think they need to change coaches now with a specific plan to target that WC.

That's a tangential conversation. The ECNL & GAL are the US elite girls youth leagues per my comments above.

I agree with you on the DA and development generally, but then again, there are more and more younger MNT players playing in Europe and even in champions league. The current crop has more potential than the US has had in some time. I'm unconvinced as to the MNT coach mind you, and it is extremely difficult for any NT coach to gel a team a few times a year. The best way of doing that is playing a system the team is used to and has grown up with, so the 4-3-3 that the US is so sold on ... but you need specific players to make the best of that. I'm pretty hopeful that the US will be extremely competitive for the 2026 World Cup, on home soil, albeit I think they need to change coaches now with a specific plan to target that WC.

I would prefer to see a coach who puts together a system based on the strengths and weaknesses of the players he has been dealt. The cookie-cutter method only works if you have the right cookie dough to fill all the spots.

I would prefer to see a coach who puts together a system based on the strengths and weaknesses of the players he has been dealt. The cookie-cutter method only works if you have the right cookie dough to fill all the spots.
Yeah, my understanding is/was that the DA, boys & girls, pretty much mandated a 4-3-3 from the youngers as that was the senior system they wanted to use. As you point out, that doesn't make much sense if it's not going to maximize the resources available at the senior level in general or as available for specific matches. The problem at the NT level is that you have very limited time to prepare for any particular match and may not have the same resources available for every match, so you need maximum flexibility which negates the "always play 4-3-3" approach, IMO.

Yeah, my understanding is/was that the DA, boys & girls, pretty much mandated a 4-3-3 from the youngers as that was the senior system they wanted to use. As you point out, that doesn't make much sense if it's not going to maximize the resources available at the senior level in general or as available for specific matches. The problem at the NT level is that you have very limited time to prepare for any particular match and may not have the same resources available for every match, so you need maximum flexibility which negates the "always play 4-3-3" approach, IMO.

My view of what happened in the startup of the boys academy was that since they were recruiting players who had already mastered the technical fundamentals at their original clubs, the time was right to teach them a team system, so let's all teach them the same system regardless of what the makeup of players was. Some coaches might find they would have to change somebody into a center defender, for example.

No one has been able to explain to me why they started with 16- to 18-year-olds, instead of working on 10- to 12-year-olds. It seems to me that if you want to build a team from scratch, you start at scratch.

My view of what happened in the startup of the boys academy was that since they were recruiting players who had already mastered the technical fundamentals at their original clubs, the time was right to teach them a team system, so let's all teach them the same system regardless of what the makeup of players was. Some coaches might find they would have to change somebody into a center defender, for example.

No one has been able to explain to me why they started with 16- to 18-year-olds, instead of working on 10- to 12-year-olds. It seems to me that if you want to build a team from scratch, you start at scratch.
How many 10-12 year olds would you have to include to have a good chance of reaching the athletes who will be the best when they are 20?

That would be a much larger program. And I’m not sure I’d want USSF working with 10 year olds, anyway.

How many 10-12 year olds would you have to include to have a good chance of reaching the athletes who will be the best when they are 20?

That would be a much larger program. And I’m not sure I’d want USSF working with 10 year olds, anyway.

They were headed in that direction when the program folded.

As for needing a large pool of players, they could just do what they were doing already - let the local clubs handle the fundamentals and cherry-pick the better ones.

They stacked Bracket A in the Super Pro flight. Will be some very good games before the final, with some very good teams not making the final...

Bracket 1
Blues 2011 (maybe with g2010 players)
Albion
Eagles
PRFC Scottsdale

Bracket 2
Slammers Cruz
Ole
Juventus
San Juan

**they should of put a No cal team in 1

so many good games in pool play

Can’t wait for games and results
Looking forward to that Eagles vs Albion match up.........I think it will be decided by one goal either way. Curious also to see how San Juan does (especially vs Ole), I believe they are a top NoCal team.

Good luck to all teams, stay safe!

Back