Desert Cup

Not a single kid from that RSL team may make the Royals GA U13 team. "Talent" consolidates at U13 and up; prior, kids play more locally with local clubs. CCV, for girls, is always strong for youngers and then Del Sol & RSL (mainly) strip it clean.

Put it this way, Royals U14 and up have a very low % of players that have come from RSL. U13 (for Royals) is a bit of an anomaly, but 08 is not a strong age group in the valley.

If you have girls from U8 and can't develop some of them to make your GA U13 team then something seems missing.

Not a single kid from that RSL team may make the Royals GA U13 team. "Talent" consolidates at U13 and up; prior, kids play more locally with local clubs. CCV, for girls, is always strong for youngers and then Del Sol & RSL (mainly) strip it clean.

Put it this way, Royals U14 and up have a very low % of players that have come from RSL. U13 (for Royals) is a bit of an anomaly, but 08 is not a strong age group in the valley.

In contrast, Arsenal & Rising tend to home grow players. They used to get stripped clean by Del Sol & Sereno (RSL) when neither had ECNL, but don't anymore.

There may be an exception with an odd team, but generally not competitive until the talent consolidates.
Eh.. that is sorta true. I would say the Royals U14 team is about 70% homegrown if you go back 2 or 3 years. Issue is SCDS is imploding and their players are going mercenary. The consolidation used to happen at U14 and as ECNL was a year earlier than DA/DPL so RSL and SCDS would lose some top players to ECNL but now they are the same I think there will be less movement. I know Arsenals U13 ECNL girls team pulled at least 3 from RSL South this past year as they didn't think they would make the top RSL team. So it goes both ways. Arsenal is the exception as they are pretty geographically isolated so options are limited. They did lose their training facility though so.. that may create some movement. Rising is a quality organization and deep so they tend to keep theirs and their location in Scottsdale has money and talent.

YSR is great. They start keeping track at U10, so all these 2010 teams have at least one year of data. I think it's pretty accurate for ranking teams as they were at the end of last year.

This is a better site for rankings. It counts all games not just tournaments like gotsoccer does. For the 2010’s, they just started the rankings so it isn’t really true...

Second this, but take it with a grain of salt.

YSR puts a huge value on blowouts. If you see a team with a lot of blowouts, their YSR rating is probably too high. Look at their record against strong opponents to figure out where they belong.

Some good potential matchups

Albion
Slammers PA
Eagles
Blues 2011 (maybe with 2010 players)
Ole
Slammers PA

Anyone know about the teams below?
**San Juan - No Cal
** Rush -New Mexico
**Colorado Elevation

Some good potential matchups

Albion
Slammers PA
Eagles
Blues 2011 (maybe with 2010 players)
Ole
Slammers PA

Anyone know about the teams below?
**San Juan - No Cal
** Rush -New Mexico
**Colorado Elevation
San Juan is a good team. I’d put them in Norcal’s top 5, depending on who they picked up from Blues FC this year.

Wow, so according to the standings/goal differential RSL-AZ Soutar is one of the top teams in AZ. And, you go to their game history and they lost 8-0 to the Blues last weekend. I know AZ is not as strong as CA, particularly at the younger ages, but something doesn't add up here.
At those ages there are some teams here and there that do OK vs the So Cal teams. B

People like to look at the gotsoccer rankings and go wow our team is top 10 in the region...and then they go to Blues Cup, etc and get smoked.

AZ teams start doing a lot better vs So Cal teams when the GA/ECNL type teams get formed. Then they become more competitive (usually).

They did lose their training facility though so..
I honestly don't think that makes a difference. No club has their own training facility. Arsenal top teams usually practice elsewhere (Santos for example) vs Paloma.

Issue is SCDS is imploding and their players are going mercenary.

I do think they have a bit of a problem. For years they lived off of taking Rising's players (and of course other clubs as well). Sereno wasn't doing much at the time, so the best went to SCDS and the others went to Sereno.

Things changed when Sereno became RSL (Royals) and merged with some clubs to become the big club in the Valley. Then with Rising and Arsenal getting ECNL, suddenly SCDS couldn't automatically pull kids.

Past year or so, it seems the SCDS teams are very thin (as in very small rosters) and that is creating some issues. RSL (Royals) and Rising are benefiting from kids as you say being mercenary and moving on. Arsenal is too far away from SCDS to really pick off many of their kids.

Eh.. that is sorta true. I would say the Royals U14 team is about 70% homegrown if you go back 2 or 3 years. Issue is SCDS is imploding and their players are going mercenary. The consolidation used to happen at U14 and as ECNL was a year earlier than DA/DPL so RSL and SCDS would lose some top players to ECNL but now they are the same I think there will be less movement. I know Arsenals U13 ECNL girls team pulled at least 3 from RSL South this past year as they didn't think they would make the top RSL team. So it goes both ways. Arsenal is the exception as they are pretty geographically isolated so options are limited. They did lose their training facility though so.. that may create some movement. Rising is a quality organization and deep so they tend to keep theirs and their location in Scottsdale has money and talent.
Royals U14 is a bad example. There are 3 girls from south that were there 2-3 years ago, zero from North. Every other kid was with another club. I'm pretty sure that every other kid joined the club at the start of last season.

If you have girls from U8 and can't develop some of them to make your GA U13 team then something seems missing.
Not really. If your stated goal is to create the best teams through scouting and development (the academy model), then there's no reason any kids in your club makes the team. They scout valley wide.

Most people keep their kids local when younger.

Not really. If your stated goal is to create the best teams through scouting and development (the academy model), then there's no reason any kids in your club makes the team. They scout valley wide.

I don't know if you noticed, but that means it's not a development academy, it's a recruiting academy.

...as I have noted from the birth of "DA" in 2007...

If you said best team through scouting then yes but if it is scouting AND development, then they failed. Apparently they are not developing their kids at the younger levels if all/most of them can't make the U13 team.

Royals U14 is a bad example. There are 3 girls from south that were there 2-3 years ago, zero from North. Every other kid was with another club. I'm pretty sure that every other kid joined the club at the start of last season.
Depends on how far back you want to go. The bulk of the DA team was RSL 07G Shank Pre DA last year with some from 07G Paulsen Pre DA and 3 that played up as 06s for RSL DA. I believe they picked up a couple of SCDS players and maybe some Rising this year.

I don't know if you noticed, but that means it's not a development academy, it's a recruiting academy.

...as I have noted from the birth of "DA" in 2007...
Sure - scout and then develop (they'd say). Every true DA club is always looking for better talent. They are, by design, brutal environments in the true pro academies in Europe.

If you said best team through scouting then yes but if it is scouting AND development, then they failed. Apparently they are not developing their kids at the younger levels if all/most of them can't make the U13 team.
That's a false argument. They could have developed their U8s through U13 better than any other club could have, but that doesn't mean that those U8s at U13 are better than the pick of talent from multiple other clubs.

Depends on how far back you want to go. The bulk of the DA team was RSL 07G Shank Pre DA last year with some from 07G Paulsen Pre DA and 3 that played up as 06s for RSL DA. I believe they picked up a couple of SCDS players and maybe some Rising this year.
No, every Shank player who made the team only joined the prior year. One player from Paulsen made it. 2 of the 06s had been from South playing up, the other had only been there a year. That's 3 players in RSL for more than 1 season made the team from my count.

No, every Shank player who made the team only joined the prior year. One player from Paulsen made it. 2 of the 06s had been from South playing up, the other had only been there a year. That's 3 players in RSL for more than 1 season made the team from my count.
Did not know Shank's team was new. Assumed they were all ex Sereno. Where did they come from? I know Caprice was GYSA but not much about the others.

Did not know Shank's team was new. Assumed they were all ex Sereno. Where did they come from? I know Caprice was GYSA but not much about the others.
4 of Shanks North team was with Sereno at U11. All the rest joined at U12 or U13 from CCV, Sandsharks, GYSA, Rising, Del Sol (I think). Of the 4, one is on DPL, one on GA-08 and the others have left RSL. The ones who made GA-07 joined at U13.

wow.. is that a function of lack of development or simply the player movement. GYSA, CCV and Sandsharks are smaller clubs that kids outgrow and move on to bigger clubs when/if they get good. Not sure this is a knock on Sereno/RSL. Are the Rising/SCDS all developed within the club or or start somewhere else? I just can't imagine driving from where GYS practices to North... that has to be 45-hour each way.

Back