Denon or yamaha

Dominic

DA
Staff member
Im looking for a new home stereo for around $800.

Will 800 get me anything decent?

It's not like the old days. Prices have come way down and you can get a very, very good quality Receiver from either company for $800. I have always liked Denon.

What are you trying to do with it?
Power a home theater in a big room with lots of speakers?

Things have changed a lot. I originally had a Denon receiver with 5:1 surround and 2 zones and a 5:1. Wired to speakers in the ceiling and subwoofer on the floor. 2nd zone was for outdoor speakers.
A remodel and a change of where the furniture and TV are now positioned caused me to re-think everything.
The in-ceiling speakers are now just filling a hole in the ceiling.
I have a decent soundbar paired with a bluetooth subwoofer. It's decent. But we aren't audiophiles and I dont need to shake my neighbors house when I watch Top Gun.
We also have a few Sonos One speakers to play music with (yes we could use the TV and the soundbar/sub for this too - but sometimes we like the TV to be on and play music at the same time). The quality and size of the Sonos are awesome (comparable to Bose).
And if we want music in the yard, we have a few portable bluetooth speakers that we can easily take out there for a backyard dance party.

I need good bluetooth connectivity, 7.1 surround, and two zones. I have two Polk powered RT10s, powered polk 12"sub, polk center, and some Fluance surrounds. Currently have an old HK 257.

I need good bluetooth connectivity, 7.1 surround, and two zones. I have two Polk powered RT10s, powered polk 12"sub, polk center, and some Fluance surrounds. Currently have an old HK 257.
My house is wired with surround and I have a wicked stupid Denon. I’m planning on getting rid of it and going all Sonos.

Wired is always better. But it is more expensive.

If you can find a high end receiver I suggest you jump on it as there is still an issue getting parts for these.

Also, try not to trade in your old phone. I use mine to stream my music for my backyard system. I use my current phone to control the app on old phone... this way you don't get an interruption in your music if your phone rings.

Back