DA Spring Showcases

Looks like a cool tournament. I’d rather my DD was playing in this event, rather than the DA Winter Showcase the following week in Florida. Looks like a great list of colleges as well. Makes me wonder, is the CLUB stupid for bypassing this tournament to go to the DA Sanctioned event that requires a bunch of money to be spent, or am I stupid to be part of this club? What a sucker!

Looks like a cool tournament. I’d rather my DD was playing in this event, rather than the DA Winter Showcase the following week in Florida. Looks like a great list of colleges as well. Makes me wonder, is the CLUB stupid for bypassing this tournament to go to the DA Sanctioned event that requires a bunch of money to be spent, or am I stupid to be part of this club? What a sucker!
For as miserable as you are about DA and everything associated, why do you let your DD play DA?

Clubs don’t have a choice on attending DA events.

DA teams can play non DA teams as long as they do not play more then 1 game a day and no more then 2 on back to back days.

Some people don’t want to play on Thanksgiving weekend, and if you’re playing in Sarasota in two weeks you may not want to play this. But it’s a good tune up.

For as miserable as you are about DA and everything associated, why do you let your DD play DA?
I’m not miserable about DA. There’s just a lot I don’t like about it. Benefits don’t even come close to outweighing the negatives. To answer your question, unlike many, I do not steer the ship for my kids. I just have a great seat on the boat. Yes, my opinion matters to her, but ultimately I let her make the final call. DA is the direction her club went, and she had little desire to switch clubs at this point. I understand that. If it were up to me, she’d be playing ECNL somewhere.

Mark my words, there will big changes coming with GDA.

Last year our DA team played Silverlakes and had a decent college turnout. But it was a small fraction of the coaches we had in Florida. That was the craziest event I have ever seen for coaches. Most were not even on the list of attending. We had over 150 different schools across our three games. At one point on the first day last year I counted over 70 coaches watching us. There must have been 500 Colleges in attendance at the event. Your not a sucker.

Last year our DA team played Silverlakes and had a decent college turnout. But it was a small fraction of the coaches we had in Florida. That was the craziest event I have ever seen for coaches. Most were not even on the list of attending. We had over 150 different schools across our three games. At one point on the first day last year I counted over 70 coaches watching us. There must have been 500 Colleges in attendance at the event. Your not a sucker.
Much appreciated, Simi. I’ve become so sinical.

Your team can have just as good a turnout at other college showcases. Been to both and most offers did not come from the DA showcases. Doesn't mean it isn't good exposure and something can come of it but as I have said before there are many paths to this process. You can have hundreds of coaches at an event but that doesn't mean it is the best for your player. Sometimes the most effective is going to the college ID camps of the colleges you are most interested in and building that relationship with the school and the coaches. Also, it is helpful to have a club and club coach that has connections and is committed to getting your player where she needs to be. As a player you don't have much control over what you participate in, it is dictated by the club and your coach so you just have to pick the right place and the right coach and go where they tell you. If you have been in the elite system for awhile it is easy to become cynical.

Your team can have just as good a turnout at other college showcases. Been to both and most offers did not come from the DA showcases. Doesn't mean it isn't good exposure and something can come of it but as I have said before there are many paths to this process. You can have hundreds of coaches at an event but that doesn't mean it is the best for your player. Sometimes the most effective is going to the college ID camps of the colleges you are most interested in and building that relationship with the school and the coaches. Also, it is helpful to have a club and club coach that has connections and is committed to getting your player where she needs to be. As a player you don't have much control over what you participate in, it is dictated by the club and your coach so you just have to pick the right place and the right coach and go where they tell you. If you have been in the elite system for awhile it is easy to become cynical.

Every offer may dd got and most of the offers her teammates got started with being seen either at a DA showcase or prior to DA being seen at an ECNL event. Club coaches advocating on the behalf of the girls with college coaches was also a huge part of it. ID Camps only played a part once they had already been scene and specifically invited to camp.

Damn! I knew I spelled cynical wrong. Spell check let me down, ;)

Every offer may dd got and most of the offers her teammates got started with being seen either at a DA showcase or prior to DA being seen at an ECNL event. Club coaches advocating on the behalf of the girls with college coaches was also a huge part of it. ID Camps only played a part once they had already been scene and specifically invited to camp.

Agreed. As the offers and initial contacts came from coaches to players on our team, a majority were from the Florida showcase. The NC showcase, not so much. Surf Cup also delivered a good round. We have had a few dozen coaches at Silverlakes and they seemed more intent on singular players. Specific schools for specific kids. Agreed there are numerous pathways. the DA showcase in Florida was the best one (so far.)

I’m not miserable about DA. There’s just a lot I don’t like about it. Benefits don’t even come close to outweighing the negatives. To answer your question, unlike many, I do not steer the ship for my kids. I just have a great seat on the boat. Yes, my opinion matters to her, but ultimately I let her make the final call. DA is the direction her club went, and she had little desire to switch clubs at this point. I understand that. If it were up to me, she’d be playing ECNL somewhere.

Mark my words, there will big changes coming with GDA.

What changes do you believe are coming to GDA?

Back