DA is like going to Harvard???

Just to try and make a bit of a joke:
If DA is like Harvard then;
ECNL is like Arizona State
DPL is like Chico State
SCDSL is like Cal Poly Pomona
Coast is like Cal State - Dominguez Hills.
Go Devils!

As one of my professors there long ago said sarcastically as he handed out tests back to us..."ASU is the Harvard of the West".

Don't put down the academics at Colorado School of Mines. That is an almost 100% engineering school with exceptional academics.
I wonder how often the admissions office asks the the board to change the school's name? "Colorado School of Engineering" might make recruitment easier...

Ironically, Harvard suspended men's soccer season for vulgar 'scouting report' couple of seasons back:
http://amp.si.com/more-sports/2016/11/04/harvard-mens-soccer-team-suspended

58333b35497b5.jpeg

Just to try and make a bit of a joke:
If DA is like Harvard then;
ECNL is like Arizona State
DPL is like Chico State
SCDSL is like Cal Poly Pomona
Coast is like Cal State - Dominguez Hills.
Cal Poly Pomona is one of the top Landscape Architecture schools in the country.

Cal Poly Pomona is one of the top Landscape Architecture schools in the country.
Founders of In-N-Out all went there too...:D

Hospitality Program is ranked very high as well. Use to be known for their Engineering Program but don't think that's the case any longer.

Last edited:
Founders of In-N-Out all went there too...:D

Hospitality Program is ranked very high as well. Use to be known for their Engineering Program but don't think that's the case any longer.
Son's Girlfriend graduated from there in Food Services and is now a GM. Good program for both...

I will assume ignorance and not stupidity.

Purdue is a top 5 engineering school in the country, #2 ranked in term of graduate employment among Fortune 50o (Georgia Tech is #1, and have a pretty decent sports program with their facilities, courtesy of the 96 Olympics). Rice and Vandy are both National championship baseball programs, not to mention their lesser sports like tennis and bowling (that is a thing), or girls soccer for Vandy these days. Do not think they have fencing, they leave that to the Ivies.

Hopkins Lacrosse is good enough that the National Lacrosse hall of game is located on their campus. Last I checked the have won the Big 10 and been in the final four in the past 48 months, to add to their national championships from the recent past.

Top 30? Only a fool thinks there is such a thing, believes it exists, and bases decisions or aeguments on it. Quit while you are behind.

My impression is that the original point in MarkM’s post is that academics and athletics get conflated, and for the majority of student athletes and the academic institution itself, this usually is detrimental to things academic. For the small number of truly outstanding athletes, too much time spent on academics is probably harmful to their athletic development, which makes sense too when considering how clubs develop soccer players and other athletes in Europe. Obviously, for the truly gifted, none of this may matter.

Somehow, this all turned into a circular pissing contest about various college rankings. Yuk.

When reflecting on the original assertion that DA is like Harvard, it is probably true in the sense that both are overrated.

What you did not like me quoting the website you used so you needed to find another one that makes your point!

Relax. It was ranked 178th in the US on the first website I referenced. It was 117 on the Forbes list. I'm not an engineer, but I believe 117 comes before 178. You can refer to either list. And my point was never to knock the school's academics, it was to knock your comment that UCSD is a powerhouse at soccer when it is not even as good as a tiny engineering school. You turned it into academics.

Probably best budget Engineering school in So Cal - actually have to know how to make things work before you graduate.
I'm sure it is! When I went there it was roughly less than $500 a quarter with tuition, books, and parking. Man, I just aged myself. I'm beginning to sound like "E"spola...:eek:.

I'm sure it is! When I went there it was roughly less than $500 a quarter with tuition, books, and parking. Man, I just aged myself. I'm beginning to sound like "E"spola...:eek:.

I finished my Bachelor's Degree at San Diego State in 1980, after three + 1/2 years college and 8 years Navy. The GI Bill of that time paid me more each month for half-time study than my semester half-load tuition. Parking was more expensive than tuition (no discount for night-class half-load parkers).

Not really...you mentioned Parking.....pretty sure he graduated before the automobile became mainstream.

Back