DA Cup Competition for 2019/2020

Seriously- anyone have an idea how that selected teams in top division. I heard MLS wanted there DA teams in the top bracket hence why Portland, Quakes and LA Galaxy are in the top bracket. Damn you mls teams!

Seriously- anyone have an idea how that selected teams in top division. I heard MLS wanted there DA teams in the top bracket hence why Portland, Quakes and LA Galaxy are in the top bracket. Damn you mls teams!
IDK. It struck me as odd that LA Galaxy San Diego is in the red bracket and LA Galaxy is in the blue bracket.

I'm guessing Portland Thorns heard about the absurdity of these groupings and just said, "no thanks". A cup competition is contrary to the D in DA after all. US Soccer keeps standings, so they could make these groupings more accurate by age group. But that would take a little more work, of course.

I'm guessing Portland Thorns heard about the absurdity of these groupings and just said, "no thanks". A cup competition is contrary to the D in DA after all. US Soccer keeps standings, so they could make these groupings more accurate by age group. But that would take a little more work, of course.
Thanks oh Canada. Makes sense to me!

I was under assumption that LA Galaxy San Diego was just a subsidiary of LA Galaxy. So it seems odd to me that the “main branch” of LA Galaxy would be in a lower bracket than their subsidiary.

Not really, SD the more established historically competitive program that changed names from Carlsbad. LA Galaxy girls a relative newcomer still trying to find their level and build a program.

I was under assumption that LA Galaxy San Diego was just a subsidiary of LA Galaxy. So it seems odd to me that the “main branch” of LA Galaxy would be in a lower bracket than their subsidiary.
San Diego is a “Franchise” so to speak. Like LA Surf and OC Surf.

Brackets were determined by Club Ranking across all age groups. I don’t know how they calculated it but I’d assume some sort of average. Per the website:

“Clubs are divided into two tiers, Tier 1 and Tier 2, then divided into regional groups. Tier 1 will be composed of 24 top-performing clubs and the number of Tier 2 clubs is dependent on Academy membership for the 2019-20 season.”

Not really, SD the more established historically competitive program that changed names from Carlsbad. LA Galaxy girls a relative newcomer still trying to find their level and build a program.
So where did LAG get their players and coaching staff?

San Diego is a “Franchise” so to speak. Like LA Surf and OC Surf.

Brackets were determined by Club Ranking across all age groups. I don’t know how they calculated it but I’d assume some sort of average. Per the website:

“Clubs are divided into two tiers, Tier 1 and Tier 2, then divided into regional groups. Tier 1 will be composed of 24 top-performing clubs and the number of Tier 2 clubs is dependent on Academy membership for the 2019-20 season.”
LAGSD finished ahead of LAG in all “3” DA age groups last season where records and standings were kept. (U15/16-17/18-19).

I never try and guess on how brackets are created but I put together a spreadsheet on last year’s numbers for the entire GDA. The DA Cup brackets are not just based on previous performance but are also dictated by region, only so many red bracket spots per region. Also, some clubs either dropped GDA or chose, for whatever reason, not to participate in the DA Cup. The spreadsheet has 4 tabs, last years results (PPG) for U15, U16-U17, U18-U19. It also has a summary page which has Rank (Club rank based on average PPG from 2018-2019 season) and the DA Cup bracket. Red and Blue shading shows the teams in the separate overall brackets. The forum doesn't allow to upload an Excel file directly so I was forced to put it into a zip. If you want to see it in another format let me know.

Attachments

• DA Cup.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 63
Back