DA Cup Competition for 2019/2020

Seems fun and will give teams more competition throughout the year - Sort of like European teams that compete in multiple leagues/competitions, not just meaningless showcases. To me, the most interesting aspect of the Cup structure is that 24 clubs, not teams, will be selected as Tier 1 or 2 for the Fall Regional Group state and all teams for those clubs will compete at the top level for the Cup competitions. How are the top 24 determined? Seems like a strong incentive for clubs to win games across all age levels.

Seems fun and will give teams more competition throughout the year - Sort of like European teams that compete in multiple leagues/competitions, not just meaningless showcases. To me, the most interesting aspect of the Cup structure is that 24 clubs, not teams, will be selected as Tier 1 or 2 for the Fall Regional Group state and all teams for those clubs will compete at the top level for the Cup competitions. How are the top 24 determined? Seems like a strong incentive for clubs to win games across all age levels.

How are Showcase games meaningless? Isn’t the point to showcase your individual ability for an opportunity to play at the next level? It’s no longer a showcase if you have elimination. Coaches will play to win.

How are the top 24 determined?
This just seems like a clean way to introduce a two tier system, and acknowledge that most clubs in GDA are not remotely competitive compared to the top clubs. That is important to USSF if the goal is to stop the continued defection of top clubs to ECNL.

Anyone else notice something a bit different in the regional map in the link? Did GDA announce they were combining the SE and Atlantic divisions? The magi seems to suggest that. That should make Tophat and a couple of NC clubs happy.

How does this idea sit with teams in SoCal, aren't clubs 3-6 kind of indistinguishable? I guess the idea of competition is cool... but how many clubs in that 3-6 ranking might rather avoid subjecting themselves to this kind of relegation?

How are Showcase games meaningless? Isn’t the point to showcase your individual ability for an opportunity to play at the next level? It’s no longer a showcase if you have elimination. Coaches will play to win.
Exactly. Now some coaches might not play all the players in the same way as they would if it were a showcase with the point being college exposure.

Exactly. Now some coaches might not play all the players in the same way as they would if it were a showcase with the point being college exposure.
It makes no difference. These teams have plenty of exposure already. They go to these showcases to win (at least the teams that have a chance of making the playoffs), not just to look good, because the points count for the standings. If you don't like it take your daughter elsewhere.

So all that stuff the last couple of years about GDA being all about development and that wins/losses didn't matter, was just lip service?
If that was the case, why would they have playoffs? Are you referring to the statement made in regards to the youngest age of DA?

How does this all affect you/your DD?

This just seems like a clean way to introduce a two tier system, and acknowledge that most clubs in GDA are not remotely competitive compared to the top clubs. That is important to USSF if the goal is to stop the continued defection of top clubs to ECNL.

Anyone else notice something a bit different in the regional map in the link? Did GDA announce they were combining the SE and Atlantic divisions? The magi seems to suggest that. That should make Tophat and a couple of NC clubs happy.

How does this idea sit with teams in SoCal, aren't clubs 3-6 kind of indistinguishable? I guess the idea of competition is cool... but how many clubs in that 3-6 ranking might rather avoid subjecting themselves to this kind of relegation?
Clubs "defecting to ECNL" is about money and families wanting their daughters to play high school, but mostly money!

If that was the case, why would they have playoffs? Are you referring to the statement made in regards to the youngest age of DA?

How does this all affect you/your DD?
Just pointing out the sudden change of tune by US Soccer. This was their stance from the beginning: "The Academy values individual development of elite players over winning trophies and titles."

Are those kids paying fees at the end of the bench not "elite players" that they said they would develop or are they just practice cones for the other players? Sounds like hypocrisy to me. But carry on.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...stain-us-soccer-new-girls-development-academy

I'm not against this structure at all. But, between all the constant league shifts and NCAA rules changes, I do feel these kiddos who are 7th-10th grade need a little stability at some point.

Just pointing out the sudden change of tune by US Soccer. This was their stance from the beginning: "The Academy values individual development of elite players over winning trophies and titles."

Are those kids paying fees at the end of the bench not "elite players" that they said they would develop or are they just practice cones for the other players? Sounds like hypocrisy to me. But carry on.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...stain-us-soccer-new-girls-development-academy
I guess if you’re looking for reasons to shit on something, you can always find it.

However, actually having 2 kids in the system, what I have seen that actually supports the statement is when Elite players who dominate at their age groups are pulled up to older teams to further test and develop them at the expense of the “success” of their current or true age team. Therefore it is about the “individual development of elite players over winning trophies and titles” not just doing what’s best for a team to Win.

It is not black or white. My daughter is getting better, winning and losing, all in the same program. And she won't have any problem getting into the college of her choosing. So all is good.
It is what it is, the people that are in are satisfied with the product (otherwise they would leave), while the people in the outside and with an axe to grind rant. Enjoy your rant, meanwhile I enjoy watching my daughter play soccer every weekend, in the showcases, and trying to make the playoffs.

I guess if you’re looking for reasons to shit on something, you can always find it.

However, actually having 2 kids in the system, what I have seen that actually supports the statement is when Elite players who dominate at their age groups are pulled up to older teams to further test and develop them at the expense of the “success” of their current or true age team. Therefore it is about the “individual development of elite players over winning trophies and titles” not just doing what’s best for a team to Win.
Have have nothing against DA just find it strange that they will take the top 24 clubs not teams. I would think this could stop teams from moving girls up if the team shes on has to finish higher for the club to get into the top 24

Have have nothing against DA just find it strange that they will take the top 24 clubs not teams. I would think this could stop teams from moving girls up if the team shes on has to finish higher for the club to get into the top 24
From an organization point of view (fields and coaches), all teams of the same club need to play in the same day. It would be very difficult to break games of different teams within a club into different days and fields. I do not see how this new competition puts more pressure on the clubs to keep girls playing in their age group than the existing playoffs.

Back