D3 Financial Question

I have noticed a lot of D3 schools have rosters of 30 or more. With no athletic scholarships are all of those girls paying tuition to play?

Just like it is a coincident that private Catholic high schools seem to always have great sports teams.

When my sons were in high school, we were approached by the coaches of two private schools (neither Catholic) with suggestions that there was financial aid available if the cost was going to be an issue.

Most D3 players I know are getting more money than D1 players. That's because most are private schools and can steer academic money to players if they have good grades.
I played ball at Hope ((PCC)) back in the day and we got some help. My grades were so so but I was good NACBBA player. We had a tournament at Jimmy Swaggerts College in late 80s right after he got busted. It was insane. We pull up with our team bus and cameras are everywhere. I thought ((my ego)) they were all there to film us getting off the bus. Nope, they were their because Jimmy got caught cheating.

Most players at D3 schools receive academic money that is not tied to thier athletic pursuits. Rarely full boat but enough to make it closer to state school prices.
My daughter is at a D3. She got 100% tuition covered and gets a cash stipend on top of it. In total, the cash would cover about 90% of housing and food costs living in an apartment (we let her keep it since she saves us from paying any tuition). There are universities that offer a lot of merit aid if the grades and test scores are there to qualify— but there are many that are only. Ed based, so parents need to do their homework based on their family’s situation. my daughter didn’t get any favorable treatment as an athlete, they have a formula based on grades and test scores on what level of scholarship they give. Many at D1 schools are not getting much (if any) athletic scholarship money, but mom and dad can say their kid got recruited to a D1 school (and many of those recruits are the ones that quit playing after 1 year, transfer, or never get on the field).

Preferentially steering money to players is a violation of D3 rules.
it's for being a Scholar student- all student at d3/private schools have the same opportunities as the Athletes at the d3/private school to have most if not all tuition cover-

Just a heads up. Many schools are going test optional, or test blind. HOWEVER, at many schools test scores are used for merit money. We know a couple seniors that were accepted to the schools of their choice, but didn't receive any merit money because they didn't have test scores since California didn't offer SAT or ACT testing last year due to Covid. They couldn't attend those schools because they didn't receive merit money.

SAT testing has not yet resumed in California, in fact the test for June was just recently cancelled. It might be in your best interest to travel to another state to take the SAT test, we're doing so for our Junior. I believe there is an SAT test scheduled in August; however, that would only give your Junior one shot at the test before applications are due.

Just a heads up. Many schools are going test optional, or test blind. HOWEVER, at many schools test scores are used for merit money. We know a couple seniors that were accepted to the schools of their choice, but didn't receive any merit money because they didn't have test scores since California didn't offer SAT or ACT testing last year due to Covid. They couldn't attend those schools because they didn't receive merit money.

SAT testing has not yet resumed in California, in fact the test for June was just recently cancelled. It might be in your best interest to travel to another state to take the SAT test, we're doing so for our Junior. I believe there is an SAT test scheduled in August; however, that would only give your Junior one shot at the test before applications are due.
When in doubt don't pin your hopes on the state (or whoever decides if testing can proceed) to get it right.

Do as you are doing and take the test out of state to make your bases are covered.

this is not true. our high school has hosted both SAT and ACT in the past month.

this is not true. our high school has hosted both SAT and ACT in the past month.
ACT yes. The SAT's were cancelled last week for us in San Diego for June and we were told no other SAT's in California for June. Where are you located in Socal because right now were scheduled for Prescott, AZ? Would much rather travel with in SoCal. Any help is appreciated.

I stand corrected not all SAT's were cancelled in California (confirmed with wife). Some were cancelled and all others are full. So those that were cancelled last week are SOL for California and hence why were going to AZ. So have a backup plan.

Nevertheless, Seniors were screwed.

Back