D1 college soccer under threat

Well, that sounds a little positive. Better than no soccer. I super super hope they get to play.

8502%2Femail_template_assets%2F667e01b5-b85b-4443-bff0-af1f353a44ff%2F071020_FallSportUpdate.jpg

Maybe they will allow only Freshman and Jr. for first game, second game for soph. and seniors, third game freshman and jrs. etc etc. half student body each game. Space them out. If they even allow them at all. Or just freshman first game, soph. second game, jr. third game, seniors fourth game, etc. etc. etc Who knows. It will be interesting.

I’m confident we will have more treatments for COVID by this time next year that will allow us to live with the virus. I expect a fall season n 2021.

It’s unlikely we will have a vaccine for spring soccer.

I have to ask, what is the point of forcing a season now? My DD's team was told that IF there is a season, they can't use the locker room, can't eat at the athletic cafeteria, can't use the weight room, can't train more than five at a time on the field, no training room or facilities will be open, and all Fall classes are online. So they want these players to go back to campus with all these restrictions and sit in their dorms for online classes to play in an empty stadium? I can tell you that the players I've talked to aren't down with playing an abridged season like that, especially the seniors who are in their last year. Most are already talking about redshirting already. I say just call it, tentatively push back to Spring, and worst case Fall 2021.

I have to ask, what is the point of forcing a season now? My DD's team was told that IF there is a season, they can't use the locker room, can't eat at the athletic cafeteria, can't use the weight room, can't train more than five at a time on the field, no training room or facilities will be open, and all Fall classes are online. So they want these players to go back to campus with all these restrictions and sit in their dorms for online classes to play in an empty stadium? I can tell you that the players I've talked to aren't down with playing an abridged season like that, especially the seniors who are in their last year. Most are already talking about redshirting already. I say just call it, tentatively push back to Spring, and worst case Fall 2021.
The point is quite simple. Everything you described are acceptable if there is a football season. If you DD's entire soccer team decides to sit out 2020, my guess is her school will be fine with it.

Schools just can't openly announce let's keep football and cancel everything else. If it's not too much of a hypocrisy, schools could have a fall football season even if there are no fall classes at all :).

I live in San Diego and we only have a 4% positive rate, which is below the CDC and WHO guidelines, and the positive case numbers are setting records every other day. Until there is 95%+ compliance with masks and social distancing it is going to be hard to get the numbers under control again without another lockdown or a vaccine.

The Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 took 3 years to run it's course. If history is our guide we should realize that we aren't going to be back to normal until late 2022.

Good luck to you and your player.
I know a doctor in San Diego that almost lost their job as they refused to put the cause of death as COVID 19. No the person did pass away in a car accident and did test positive post mortem but per the doctor it was definitely an auto accident death.

It does not exist in a vacuum. Postponing a season screws a lot of things up in terms of financial promises to recruits and enrolled players. Even if the ncaa permits bloated rosters for 2021, not every dept can afford the increases scholarships. And what if you have a senior who is on a full ride who is expected to graduate and you have a full ride frosh coming in - the financial commitment matches. But if the Sr comes back, what happens to that 21 frosh? If the player is that good, maybe nothing changes but for the many who are on partials, it means less money for them.

I’m not arguing against scrapping the season (it would suck but if it is necessary for safety, so be it), just pointing out that there are so many moving parts. Thwy will do all they can to get some season in as long as there is football. If no football, no sports.

I know a doctor in San Diego that almost lost their job as they refused to put the cause of death as COVID 19. No the person did pass away in a car accident and did test positive post mortem but per the doctor it was definitely an auto accident death.

More details, please.

It does not exist in a vacuum. Postponing a season screws a lot of things up in terms of financial promises to recruits and enrolled players. Even if the ncaa permits bloated rosters for 2021, not every dept can afford the increases scholarships. And what if you have a senior who is on a full ride who is expected to graduate and you have a full ride frosh coming in - the financial commitment matches. But if the Sr comes back, what happens to that 21 frosh? If the player is that good, maybe nothing changes but for the many who are on partials, it means less money for them.

I’m not arguing against scrapping the season (it would suck but if it is necessary for safety, so be it), just pointing out that there are so many moving parts. Thwy will do all they can to get some season in as long as there is football. If no football, no sports.

As I understand it, recruiting effectively stopped. I think if there is a season you will see a lot of girls sit out. Why waste a year playing in those conditions? But, if it's dependent on football, the dominos are falling there quickly as well. Same restrictions on locker room use, training room use, all the logistical stuff to run a game. I just don't see it happening. I get it as parents we want our kids to play, but even the players are starting to balk at all this.

Maybe they will allow only Freshman and Jr. for first game, second game for soph. and seniors, third game freshman and jrs. etc etc. half student body each game. Space them out. If they even allow them at all. Or just freshman first game, soph. second game, jr. third game, seniors fourth game, etc. etc. etc Who knows. It will be interesting.

Who knows like you say but with only half as many games and what 10 conference games vs 5 different opponents not alot of opportunities considering the typical roster sizes. The soccer season is already so short I can see why freshman want to redshirt but that could have a domino effect on future prospects.

The added financial strain from reduced or no football is not going help and recuiting is bound to be reduced further it would seem so the threats just seem to be growing.

Trying to look for the silver lining, is there still going to be postseason? college cup or is that TBA?

More details, please.
All deaths in SD County have a covid test performed. If they test positive the cause of death is listed as covid. This time the Dr. clearly knew the death was not caused by covid and listed the cause of death as the reason for the death that was caused by accident. The administration advised the Dr. needed to list covid. Dr. said no. Administration threatened termination and Dr. threatened to go to Media. Admin backed down.

All deaths in SD County have a covid test performed. If they test positive the cause of death is listed as covid. This time the Dr. clearly knew the death was not caused by covid and listed the cause of death as the reason for the death that was caused by accident. The administration advised the Dr. needed to list covid. Dr. said no. Administration threatened termination and Dr. threatened to go to Media. Admin backed down.

That's just repetition

My wife and I were walking on the bike walk in Oceanside May 2, 2012. I saw all these people crying by this house on the beach and a tv camera was out front. A big time football player had just killed himself. Maybe football is too dam violent and dangerous? Seriously, I would be more afraid to actually play the sport then catching the corona and dying from it. My son played his Sr year at Temecula Prep and we had to play Rancho Christian and Crean Lutheran, two way bigger teams. My son is 5' 9 and fast and lifted weights to get ready but was no match for some of the big dudes from these other power houses. I thought he would get seriously hurt before the game against RC because these guys were twice our size and they had a defense and offense. Our team played both ways. RC guys were huge compared to out little team. I said a prayer and it started raining and it was mud fest that we almost won. One of our kids had a concussion and another kid tore his ACL. My son made it out alive but I swear I felt guilty the whole time watching. What happens if he get's paralyzed I thought? I see all these old warriors from the NFL that I looked up too and most are dead or can;t walk or talk. Now, if we cant have football to make big bucks in college, we cant have other sports? What's up with that?

That’s....not how it works. Your buddy is lying to you or you’re making this up. What hospital?
There’s a treatment reimbursement for covid but no death payment. Listing covid as cause of death would mean no money. They could list cause of death as alien attack and then include on the covid line “positive” and still get the reimbursement. There’s no incentive for listing covid as cause of death. This is BS.

As I understand it, recruiting effectively stopped. I think if there is a season you will see a lot of girls sit out. Why waste a year playing in those conditions?
Considering relatively few of these ladies will play professionally beyond college, what percent do you expect to choose to stay in school another year over getting started with their life post-college?

That’s....not how it works. Your buddy is lying to you or you’re making this up. What hospital?
There’s a treatment reimbursement for covid but no death payment. Listing covid as cause of death would mean no money. They could list cause of death as alien attack and then include on the covid line “positive” and still get the reimbursement. There’s no incentive for listing covid as cause of death. This is BS.
I never saw anything about getting paid. Did I miss something? Deaths need to be counted for other reasons from what I'm hearing. What do you hear?

Considering relatively few of these ladies will play professionally beyond college, what percent do you expect to choose to stay in school another year over getting started with their life post-college?

That was exactly my point. Especially with the senior class, they want to get the most out of their college career. I would feel the same way. Kinda like going on a roller coaster and the ride ends before the big drop. These four years go by quick. Not sure of actual numbers across the team, but many of the seniors are already planning on taking graduate prerequisite classes in Fall 2021.

Back