D1 college soccer under threat

Rounding down?

- Francisco Garcia (21), Spanish football coach, died on March 17 in Malaga
- Shobushi (28), Japanese sumo wrestler, died on May 13
- Muhammad Alloush (44), Egyptian football coach, died on June 29

I left out all of the ones over 50.

And here is a short list of current athletes who recovered --

Let me clarify, active athletes have a death rate is 0%!

Let me clarify, active athletes have a death rate is 0%!
A 23 year old female professional futsal player died from covid. She was on the Iranian National Futsal team.
A 19 year old student, a basketball player, at Appalachian State, died from Covid-19 complications. Neither athlete had underlying conditions. I guess they weren't active enough for you.

These articles scared my player into social distancing and not going to cafes, etc. School and soccer is all that she does.

"Previously reported rates of myocarditis in COVID-19 patients ranged from 14% among recovered athletes to 60% in middle-aged and older recovered patients."

"The findings suggest that myocarditis caused by COVID-19 may be relatively rare, according to Vander Heide and co-author Dr. Marc Halushka."

"Previously reported rates of myocarditis in COVID-19 patients ranged from 14% among recovered athletes to 60% in middle-aged and older recovered patients."

"The findings suggest that myocarditis caused by COVID-19 may be relatively rare, according to Vander Heide and co-author Dr. Marc Halushka."

Did you read beyond the headline?

Agree, it was a small sample, 277 people who actually died of covid. It was not a large study of people who have had it and recovered.

Since we are talking D1 soccer players (presuming that from the thread title) the implications of long-term damage to surviving athletes would seem to be more germane.

Yes, I did, and other articles that spoke of the study. They researched the damage in dead people, not living athletes.
We definitely don't want them doing autopsies on living athletes. I guess the good news here is that there aren't enough dead athletes to autopsy. Let's hope it stays that way.

Since we are talking D1 soccer players (presuming that from the thread title) the implications of long-term damage to surviving athletes would seem to be more germane.
This study simply indicated whether myocarditis was present in those dying of COVID. The fact that it was much lower than initially reported is good news. Period. There are a lot of athletes out there who got COVID and are back to athleting - for many months now. So far so good.

I'm curious. How long do you think it will be before those "long-term damage" results start trickling in? Are you recommending not playing soccer until then?

This study simply indicated whether myocarditis was present in those dying of COVID. The fact that it was much lower than initially reported is good news. Period. There are a lot of athletes out there who got COVID and are back to athleting - for many months now. So far so good.

I'm curious. How long do you think it will be before those "long-term damage" results start trickling in? Are you recommending not playing soccer until then?

The initial reporting was based on people who are not dead.

Kind of depends on the fraction of patients who have long term impacts. So far, we have anecdotes of long haul covid patients, and anecdotes of covid patients returning to play. No real data.

As a result, each person sees what they want to see. People who want more caution point to the long haul anecdotes. People who want less caution point to the return to play anecdotes.

Kind of depends on the fraction of patients who have long term impacts. So far, we have anecdotes of long haul covid patients, and anecdotes of covid patients returning to play. No real data.

As a result, each person sees what they want to see. People who want more caution point to the long haul anecdotes. People who want less caution point to the return to play anecdotes.

There is a theory floating about that we should let the kids play because they are not likely to die from it. The fact that recovered persons, including those who never exhibited any symptoms, may have long-lasting or permanent heart damage should not be ignored.

I have two cousins who contracted rheumatic fever as children in the '40s. Both recovered, but one of them had severe enough heart damage that he failed the Air Force enlistment physical and was sent home.

--and they didn't have to do an autopsy to find out--

There is a theory floating about that we should let the kids play because they are not likely to die from it. The fact that recovered persons, including those who never exhibited any symptoms, may have long-lasting or permanent heart damage should not be ignored.

I have two cousins who contracted rheumatic fever as children in the '40s. Both recovered, but one of them had severe enough heart damage that he failed the Air Force enlistment physical and was sent home.

--and they didn't have to do an autopsy to find out--
Coo Coo Doctor, I may die in my sleep. I may crash on my way to Vegas for a soccer game tomorrow. I maaaaaaaay!!!! My gosh, you won, can we at least have the kids play soccer. My kid and all the other kids I know what to play and are willing to risk what "may" happen later. Good grief. You seem so active now too. Not having Messy as your other avatar has made you go extra.

Back