D1 college soccer under threat

Von Miller had COVID. His recovery was not quick and painless. I am not a doctor, but the reports of inflamed heart muscles in asymptomatic COVID positive D1 athletes are troubling. The reports of COVID patients with scarring in their lungs as shown on chest x-rays is also troubling. There is a lot we don't know, but I am in no hurry to get my D1 player on the field. At the bare minimum we need fast, accurate testing that is readily available to all D1 athletes (and the general population). The biggest reason D1 athletics are under thread is due to the COVID pandemic, which makes COVID issues that pertain directly to D1 athletes relevant to this discussion. I noticed nobody was willing to speculate on how many deaths due to COVID are acceptable for D1 athletes. My answer is zero. This pandemic won't last forever, unlike death.

In other D1 soccer news, my player's team at a state school is having voluntary off-campus practices with social distancing. Attendance is small since many students are not in town. They are basically trying to stay in shape and maintain some sanity.

Sometimes conclusions by experts are drawn quickly, incorrectly or inaccurately, for whatever reason (you can draw your own conclusions as to why that would be).

Bottom line is the Big 10 has pivoted on their decision to not play football and will now play their first game on 24 OCT. The PAC 12, always late to the party and more of a political animal, also reversed course and is hoping to start play by Halloween. Interesting to say the least.

I am hopeful that this paves the way for soccer, especially since there are less fans in the stands. For now, football will be played without fans in the stands.

The problem has been repeated often, if you have the flu, herpes, or hepatitis, you know it and can take precautions (rest, etc.). With covid you may not know you have it, then participate in a high active sport and possibly damage your heart.. Simple.
“Could” and “possibly” are very ambiguous terms. Can you help provide some support on how probable the possibility of an asymptomatic person developing a severe enough case myocarditis that leads to heart damage?

“Could” and “possibly” are very ambiguous terms. Can you help provide some support on how probable the possibility of an asymptomatic person developing a severe enough case myocarditis that leads to heart damage?
The "problem" is we don't have all the facts yet. The virus is new. It sounds like you are willing to take the risk not only with your only player but every other athlete. That is your choice.

We should have a choice now not wait until there is a vaccine. We should be focusing on therapeutics, not convinced there will be a vaccine for Covid. So many viruses that have no vaccine yet...flu, cold, HIV

Other people who are concerned (such as yourself) or who may be at risk would have a choice too.
How does this work?

Each person, independently, chooses what risks they wish to take. I get to choose lower risk by wearing a mask and shopping once a week. And my neighbor gets to choose to hold parties and go out to dinner when he likes.

Last I checked, my neighbor and I live in the same city. How exactly do you propose his risks stay on his side of the fence?

How does this work?

Each person, independently, chooses what risks they wish to take. I get to choose lower risk by wearing a mask and shopping once a week. And my neighbor gets to choose to hold parties and go out to dinner when he likes.

Last I checked, my neighbor and I live in the same city. How exactly do you propose his risks stay on his side of the fence?
No one talking about house parties, we are talking about youth sports and school....stay on track.

What is the difference in an epidemiological sense?
There is a HUGE difference. House parties with no masks and no social distancing, people close together, drinking = super spreader event. Soccer with subs sitting 6 feet apart, masks worn to and from the field and other social distancing modifications have yet to be shown to spread Covid. School with modifications and precautions probably depends on the modifications and the school.

There is a HUGE difference. House parties with no masks and no social distancing, people close together, drinking = super spreader event. Soccer with subs sitting 6 feet apart, masks worn to and from the field and other social distancing modifications have yet to be shown to spread Covid. School with modifications and precautions probably depends on the modifications and the school.
Those modifications when combined with real sports play and practice along with campus attendance have yet to be shown to prevent the spread of COVID. Are college sports happening without the campuses being open for in-person classes? If college sports were to resume, what portion of athletes would participate due to real or unreal perceived pressure when they would prefer not to? No matter what procedures are in place, corners will be cut and there won't be enough testing. Those things cost money. The ONLY reason some conferences are having sports is to try to raise revenue from football. For colleges that do not have football, or don't actually make money from football (which is the majority), what is the incentive to spend the money and take the risk?

Those modifications when combined with real sports play and practice along with campus attendance have yet to be shown to prevent the spread of COVID. Are college sports happening without the campuses being open for in-person classes? If college sports were to resume, what portion of athletes would participate due to real or unreal perceived pressure when they would prefer not to? No matter what procedures are in place, corners will be cut and there won't be enough testing. Those things cost money. The ONLY reason some conferences are having sports is to try to raise revenue from football. For colleges that do not have football, or don't actually make money from football (which is the majority), what is the incentive to spend the money and take the risk?

Stop making sense. Sports are everything. They are worth any risk. Just kidding I don't want anyone to use this post against me in the future. Personally if my player was still in college she would be sitting out. I almost wish it she was still in school because they could pay for the first year of grad school.

Continued good fortune to you and your player.

Stop making sense. Sports are everything. They are worth any risk. Just kidding I don't want anyone to use this post against me in the future. Personally if my player was still in college she would be sitting out. I almost wish it she was still in school because they could pay for the first year of grad school.

Continued good fortune to you and your player.
Exactly pay for that extra year helps out all parties! Well said!

Why can you find NCAA women's soccer scores on ESPN? You can find all other scores but why not women college soccer scores? I tried searching online and couldn't find one article of interest regarding this problem. I'm curious, have anyone ever thought about this?

Why can you find NCAA women's soccer scores on ESPN? You can find all other scores but why not women college soccer scores? I tried searching online and couldn't find one article of interest regarding this problem. I'm curious, have anyone ever thought about this?

It’s not limited to women’s soccer but it shows the college slate by date.

Back