D1 college soccer under threat

We have the framework for a Spring Season! Just need the Board of Governors final approval. And wear your damn masks and stop socializing so this plan can happen!
Praise Jesus!

First you said not one athlete has died. When I pointed out that at least one had, you said you were only talking about youth players. I pointed out this is a thread about D1 soccer and wondered why every thread needs to be about your situation. This is a thread about D1 soccer. If you have something to contribute to this discussion, please do. I wish the best to your player and am excited to hear she is receiving interest from coaches.

The bottom line is how many D1 athlete deaths due to COVID are acceptable? What is the acceptable level for D1 athletes to get permanent lung or heart damage? We do not have a reliable testing system, so we really do not have enough information to make an informed decision. Based on the haphazard way testing has been implemented, I do not have strong hopes that a vaccine will salvage the 20/21 college sports season.
Sorry, but you were wrong about Von Miller and there is no proof confirming long term heart or lung damage I don’t understand the focus on a vaccine when it’s proven this is a treatable virus.
We have piles of information on the virus and how it affects the body, including studies showing how many deaths can be attributed to misdiagnosis this mistreatment (in these cases it wasn’t negligence, just situational and lack of knowledge).

First you said not one athlete has died. When I pointed out that at least one had, you said you were only talking about youth players. I pointed out this is a thread about D1 soccer and wondered why every thread needs to be about your situation. This is a thread about D1 soccer. If you have something to contribute to this discussion, please do. I wish the best to your player and am excited to hear she is receiving interest from coaches.

The bottom line is how many D1 athlete deaths due to COVID are acceptable? What is the acceptable level for D1 athletes to get permanent lung or heart damage? We do not have a reliable testing system, so we really do not have enough information to make an informed decision. Based on the haphazard way testing has been implemented, I do not have strong hopes that a vaccine will salvage the 20/21 college sports season.
Maybe I missed something and I mean this with all due respect Outside. Let's just drop this altogether. My time is over and its time for me to bail this joint. If I talk too much, so sorry and I mean that. My pal Scott from Stanford is getting hammered now. Tell you what everyone. I'm no creeper dad, that's for sure and if my dd pics offended some of you, please forgive me. It was not meant to creep you out at all. October is coming around soon and from all my sources, it's time to lay low because of all the jealousy and politics. I will hand over all D1 conversations to Outside and I will STFU once and for all. So many new experts on here now any way so I will just sit back and lurk under a new name and learn from all you experts on youth soccer and the college. The Helper is retiring once and for all. I have to bow out at at the end of the month or even sooner. No more creepy pics of my goat balling when she was 9 and 10. I'm so sorry for that. Keep hiding behind avatars....lol!!! I'm so sorry for stepping on all your toes. I will go away and never back. I did my part and now it's time..............Game on!!!! Get ready to ball!!!!!

My feelings have been really hurt by Outside. I also get these weird PMs and other weird things happening that makes me know it's time to go. Here we go again, Remember forum friends, I love you all and wish you all nothing but the best. My heart was in the right place and I was just here to be a helping hand. I see how powerful this is and i was born for this. Today, I announce my retirement from forum posting forever. No more, ever. I decided to cold turkey and just quit all together and I decided today is my last day. I will pick a new avatar and will never post from it. I will only lurk and lurk some more.........Play ball!!!!!

1600363740466.png

Reactions: STX
That is pretty strong evidence that California is handling this pandemic better than Texas is.
A lot more factors than just covid deaths need to be taken into account on which state handled the pandemic best. If that was all we cared about New York and New Jersey should change over all their leadership right now because they were 3X as bad as either Texas or California.

You would have to compare if additional people died due to starvation, suicide, or murder in a state. Less active people don't live as long as active people, so that is a loss of years off of a life if kids were stuck at home, gave up a sport, gain weight, up to 20 years per person. More educated people live longer than non educated, so a loss of education has a long term effect on years living. Loss in the economy affects many of the services the State offers, this will result in additional deaths. Less people may have went to the doctor depending on the status of how open a stare was, thus greater chance of dying from Heart disease, Cancer, stroke. I'm pretty sure I'm just touching the tip of the iceberg with all the ramifications each states decisions are.

I'd just like a State to apply the rules equally to everyone. That is all I ask.

Back to soccer, I heard my dd’s team was able to start practicing again today after a few week break do to a spike in cases.

My kid's team just ended a solid month of practices - they would be split into 2 groups so no contact and no scrimmaging but still some great work put in - after a month of "voluntary" workouts in smaller groups. No outbreaks w/in the athletic department (so far as we know). They will be breaking for about 2 weeks and will require negative tests to (i) move into the dorms and (ii) resume practices (separate tests). Between the congregant living protocols and the athletic department testing, I think she will be tested quite frequently and, some Jan/Feb, I'd expect them to be tested at least every game day if not every time they enter the facility (like the way the NFL has been doing it) (of course, that assumes widespread availability of rapid tests).

Sorry, but you were wrong about Von Miller and there is no proof confirming long term heart or lung damage I don’t understand the focus on a vaccine when it’s proven this is a treatable virus.
We have piles of information on the virus and how it affects the body, including studies showing how many deaths can be attributed to misdiagnosis this mistreatment (in these cases it wasn’t negligence, just situational and lack of knowledge).

What did you mean by "proven to be a treatable virus"?

Von Miller had COVID. His recovery was not quick and painless. I am not a doctor, but the reports of inflamed heart muscles in asymptomatic COVID positive D1 athletes are troubling. The reports of COVID patients with scarring in their lungs as shown on chest x-rays is also troubling. There is a lot we don't know, but I am in no hurry to get my D1 player on the field. At the bare minimum we need fast, accurate testing that is readily available to all D1 athletes (and the general population). The biggest reason D1 athletics are under thread is due to the COVID pandemic, which makes COVID issues that pertain directly to D1 athletes relevant to this discussion. I noticed nobody was willing to speculate on how many deaths due to COVID are acceptable for D1 athletes. My answer is zero. This pandemic won't last forever, unlike death.

In other D1 soccer news, my player's team at a state school is having voluntary off-campus practices with social distancing. Attendance is small since many students are not in town. They are basically trying to stay in shape and maintain some sanity.

Von Miller had COVID. His recovery was not quick and painless. I am not a doctor, but the reports of inflamed heart muscles in asymptomatic COVID positive D1 athletes are troubling. The reports of COVID patients with scarring in their lungs as shown on chest x-rays is also troubling. There is a lot we don't know, but I am in no hurry to get my D1 player on the field. At the bare minimum we need fast, accurate testing that is readily available to all D1 athletes (and the general population). The biggest reason D1 athletics are under thread is due to the COVID pandemic, which makes COVID issues that pertain directly to D1 athletes relevant to this discussion. I noticed nobody was willing to speculate on how many deaths due to COVID are acceptable for D1 athletes. My answer is zero. This pandemic won't last forever, unlike death.

In other D1 soccer news, my player's team at a state school is having voluntary off-campus practices with social distancing. Attendance is small since many students are not in town. They are basically trying to stay in shape and maintain some sanity.
Dig further....almost every virus causes Heart inflammation. Even Herpes and Hepatitis....the use of the word “COULD” can be used for anything that has a statistical probability (ie getting struck by lightening). If Von Miller was concerned, why was he saying he was feeling great and looking forward to what he felt could be his best year yet?

That is a rhetorical question that I don’t expect or want an answer to. Gonna stay on topic from here on out.
To each his own. My best you you and your family.

A lot more factors than just covid deaths need to be taken into account on which state handled the pandemic best. If that was all we cared about New York and New Jersey should change over all their leadership right now because they were 3X as bad as either Texas or California.
NY and NJ also have the highest population density of all the states. Airborne diseases spread more easily in areas with higher population densities (like college campuses). It is the combination of COVID deaths per capita and population density that provide a meanignful comparison between states.

I hear some schools are playing in other states. California is tough for D1. Commuter schools have it worse.

Dig further....almost every virus causes Heart inflammation. Even Herpes and Hepatitis....the use of the word “COULD” can be used for anything that has a statistical probability (ie getting struck by lightening). If Von Miller was concerned, why was he saying he was feeling great and looking forward to what he felt could be his best year yet?

That is a rhetorical question that I don’t expect or want an answer to. Gonna stay on topic from here on out.
I am happy Von Miller recovered, many have not. I know that other viruses cause heart inflammation. What concerns me is the lack of testing. How many college athletes may have an asymptomatic case of COVID and never know? Some unknown portion of those athletes will have heart inflammation and never know. Every college should have testing available for all athletes. Right now, that is not the case. Any student athlete that tests positive for COVID should have an examine capable of detecting heart inflammation.

I am happy Von Miller recovered, many have not. I know that other viruses cause heart inflammation. What concerns me is the lack of testing. How many college athletes may have an asymptomatic case of COVID and never know? Some unknown portion of those athletes will have heart inflammation and never know. Every college should have testing available for all athletes. Right now, that is not the case. Any student athlete that tests positive for COVID should have an examine capable of detecting heart inflammation.

And part of it being a NOVEL virus is that we can use our knowledge of other viruses as a guide but we don't know with certainty what the impact will be on our bodies. The rate of myocarditis seems higher than the common flu and other viruses - does that mean the risk of permanent damage is greater? We don't know b/c there just has not been enough time and enough of a sample. We will have a greater sample size soon enough and then we can watch if the cardiovascular issues resolve w/younger adults or persist and we can develop policies accordingly. And as our young people return to "circulation", especially on college campuses, we will have a much better sense of rates of transmission, rates of hospitalization and rates of death among that younger population. I certainly hope that all the data is positive but I think it is folly for any of us to think that this is a known known at this stage. We will know a lot more prior to the spring term.

One of my daughter's club teammates is making her collegiate debut tonight. I'm excited for her (and her family) and a little bit jealous. While the game is being played, I'm going to shut down any covid-related thoughts and root for a kid I've seen play for years.

And part of it being a NOVEL virus is that we can use our knowledge of other viruses as a guide but we don't know with certainty what the impact will be on our bodies. The rate of myocarditis seems higher than the common flu and other viruses - does that mean the risk of permanent damage is greater? We don't know b/c there just has not been enough time and enough of a sample. We will have a greater sample size soon enough and then we can watch if the cardiovascular issues resolve w/younger adults or persist and we can develop policies accordingly. And as our young people return to "circulation", especially on college campuses, we will have a much better sense of rates of transmission, rates of hospitalization and rates of death among that younger population. I certainly hope that all the data is positive but I think it is folly for any of us to think that this is a known known at this stage. We will know a lot more prior to the spring term.

One of my daughter's club teammates is making her collegiate debut tonight. I'm excited for her (and her family) and a little bit jealous. While the game is being played, I'm going to shut down any covid-related thoughts and root for a kid I've seen play for years.
DK, I love you man and I will forever miss you bro. I'm going cold turkey after today. In laws both got Alzheimer's and it sucks turds. However, it's a great way to help the parents who gave me the thumbs up to marry their angel. They also helped with some of our down payment on our first house we bought. No way in hell I'm leaving them in some home care place. No way. The fact is, they become #1 priority. 73 and 74 in age and grandma has diabetes. Both told me they are ok if kids come and see them. We all wear mask and stay 6 feet apart and wear mask. Good luck to your dd and I hope Pac 12 comes around like the others.......

My kid's team just ended a solid month of practices - they would be split into 2 groups so no contact and no scrimmaging but still some great work put in - after a month of "voluntary" workouts in smaller groups. No outbreaks w/in the athletic department (so far as we know). They will be breaking for about 2 weeks and will require negative tests to (i) move into the dorms and (ii) resume practices (separate tests). Between the congregant living protocols and the athletic department testing, I think she will be tested quite frequently and, some Jan/Feb, I'd expect them to be tested at least every game day if not every time they enter the facility (like the way the NFL has been doing it) (of course, that assumes widespread availability of rapid tests).

I know your dd's school starts later than mine. The challenge is when camp breaks and theys start living in apartment or dorms with non-athletes.

I'm talking under 18 and those highest level players looking to play past HS School. We have lost so many already because we burned many out of the love of the game. The girls who are left between 15 and 18 in socal havent played a game since Feb. I do believe their is a strong battle for some reason to keep kids from playing soccer until next years. So basically the socal teens who love soccer are a shot out of luck? I see NO reason why healthy kid with great hearts and lungs and strong who are strong athletic type teens cant play soccer. Zero!!!!
No way to know for sure but here’s my take: the players that love the game of soccer, love watching the world’s best players, love challenge of perfecting a new skill, love being out with just themself, a great trainer, teacher and maybe 1-2 equals are the true ballers that will be all in when play resumes.
The players that are bored with putting in tha grind have probably been on a diminishing all-in love of the game anyway and this is a convenient off ramp...

The problem has been repeated often, if you have the flu, herpes, or hepatitis, you know it and can take precautions (rest, etc.). With covid you may not know you have it, then participate in a high active sport and possibly damage your heart.. Simple.

Back