D1 college soccer under threat

There would certainly be more dead people from COVID. Texas has 50 COVID deaths per capita and ranks 26th for population density. California has 37 deaths per capita and ranks 11th for population density.
Texas also is big, if you know what I mean. I just had a veggie lunch with my good friend yesterday. He lost 75 lbs this year and looks healthier then when he was in HS. Wake up call for sure this virus is doing on all of us and I too lost 15 lbs. I'm trying to crack 199 and get away from 200+ lbs and never go back.

I have little faith in projections beyond a few weeks. Also, states are rather independent in what they choose to do. I don't expect that to change either. I could see CA, NM or HI waiting that long, but not TX, AZ or FL.

U of A is under a 2-week lockdown and stopped all athletics. They've been back to school for 3 weeks.

There would certainly be more dead people from COVID. Texas has 50 COVID deaths per capita and ranks 26th for population density. California has 37 deaths per capita and ranks 11th for population density.
That is incorrect according to Worldometer:

Texas - 508 deaths/million (ranks 19th)
California - 370 deaths/million (ranks 25th)

That was as of yesterday.

U of A is under a 2-week lockdown and stopped all athletics. They've been back to school for 3 weeks.
If people start socializing in groups that haven't been mixed, case counts will rise. There's no way around it. I hope they aren't sending the sick ones back home. Fortunately, it's a pretty low risk for that age group. Just stay away from the older professors.

That is incorrect according to Worldometer:

Texas - 508 deaths/million (ranks 19th)
California - 370 deaths/million (ranks 25th)

That was as of yesterday.
As DH pointed out, I forgot to say the per capita deaths were per 100,000 people. Kicker4Life's stats are per 1,000,000 people. 508/1,000,000 = 50/100,000, 370/1,000,000 = 37/100,00. So our death rate data for the two states is the same. My stats are from:

Soccerhelper, the size of the state does not matter, the population density does when we are discussing the spread of airborne diseases. Texas has a lower population density (the people are farther apart from each other) but a higher percentage of those people are dying. That is pretty strong evidence that California is handling this pandemic better than Texas is.

As DH pointed out, I forgot to say the per capita deaths were per 100,000 people. Kicker4Life's stats are per 1,000,000 people. 508/1,000,000 = 50/100,000, 370/1,000,000 = 37/100,00. So our death rate data for the two states is the same. My stats are from:

Soccerhelper, the size of the state does not matter, the population density does when we are discussing the spread of airborne diseases. Texas has a lower population density (the people are farther apart from each other) but a higher percentage of those people are dying. That is pretty strong evidence that California is handling this pandemic better than Texas is.
I disagree but go ahead and believe your beliefs. Let's bring this stuff up after Nov 3rd and see where the evidence is at. I'm happy to see Big Ten playing ball. ACC is balling too as is SEC and Big 12. Let's all hold judgement until the facts come out. I will follow and obey all the rules.

I disagree but go ahead and believe your beliefs. Let's bring this stuff up after Nov 3rd and see where the evidence is at. I'm happy to see Big Ten playing ball. ACC is balling too as is SEC and Big 12. Let's all hold judgement until the facts come out. I will follow and obey all the rules.
The facts are out. Are you saying that the evidence showing that Texas has more deaths per capita than California despite having a lower population density means that Texas is doing a better job at preventing infections and deaths due to COVID? BTW, thank you for following the rules. They do help minimize the spread of airborne diseases.

The facts are out. Are you saying that the evidence showing that Texas has more deaths per capita than California despite having a lower population density means that Texas is doing a better job at preventing infections and deaths due to COVID? BTW, thank you for following the rules. They do help minimize the spread of airborne diseases.
The facts tell me that no stud athlete has died from this virus. Zippo, zero like 0....

The facts tell me that no stud athlete has died from this virus. Zippo, zero like 0....
Cody Lister died in April. Von Miller is struggling to recover. With reports of COVID causing lung and heart damage and much still unknown, I am not willing to push for other people to play college sports.

Cody Lister died in April. Von Miller is struggling to recover. With reports of COVID causing lung and heart damage and much still unknown, I am not willing to push for other people to play college sports.
I'm talking under 18 and those highest level players looking to play past HS School. We have lost so many already because we burned many out of the love of the game. The girls who are left between 15 and 18 in socal havent played a game since Feb. I do believe their is a strong battle for some reason to keep kids from playing soccer until next years. So basically the socal teens who love soccer are a shot out of luck? I see NO reason why healthy kid with great hearts and lungs and strong who are strong athletic type teens cant play soccer. Zero!!!!

Last edited:
What? Von Miller was full steam ahead until his ankle injury in practice....

We have the framework for a Spring Season! Just need the Board of Governors final approval. And wear your damn masks and stop socializing so this plan can happen!

still no word on adjusting the NLI date but ...

This is a thread about D1 soccer. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute to this discussion, or is every thread about you?
This is about my goat trying to play soccer in California Outside so she can get into a good college some day? No soccer is setting her and others behind while all the other girls in other states can ball. That sucks!!! This is not about me. Sorry, did I misspeak? I will let you explain D1 soccer since your the expert bro. BTW, my dd had two phone calls already. It's working itself out, Outside and it's all good. Is this not the place to share? You hurt my feelings but I wont take it personal.

This is about my goat trying to play soccer in California Outside so she can get into a good college some day? No soccer is setting her and others behind while all the other girls in other states can ball. That sucks!!! This is not about me. Sorry, did I misspeak? I will let you explain D1 soccer since your the expert bro. BTW, my dd had two phone calls already. It's working itself out, Outside and it's all good. Is this not the place to share? You hurt my feelings but I wont take it personal.
First you said not one athlete has died. When I pointed out that at least one had, you said you were only talking about youth players. I pointed out this is a thread about D1 soccer and wondered why every thread needs to be about your situation. This is a thread about D1 soccer. If you have something to contribute to this discussion, please do. I wish the best to your player and am excited to hear she is receiving interest from coaches.

The bottom line is how many D1 athlete deaths due to COVID are acceptable? What is the acceptable level for D1 athletes to get permanent lung or heart damage? We do not have a reliable testing system, so we really do not have enough information to make an informed decision. Based on the haphazard way testing has been implemented, I do not have strong hopes that a vaccine will salvage the 20/21 college sports season.

If you have something to contribute to this discussion, please do. I wish the best to your player and am excited to hear she is receiving interest from coaches.

I will bet any amount of money that the response to this includes a story about a time when EJ spent time at the beach, or when EJ's "buddy" was re-plumbing a house, or maybe we'll get a bonus photo of EJ's kid when they were 9, because no that isn't creepy at all.

Back