Corona Tests Are Now Irrelevant in CA

Now that we are all under a "shelter in place" order, the issue of "do we have enough tests" is irrelevant. It's just a data tracker but plays no purpose in treatment nor prevention now. Tests are relevant when you are trying to identify people with the virus so that you can what? Isolate that person from the rest of the population so they don't spread it and treat them appropriately. Well, we're all isolated now anyway, so it doesn't really matter to help isolation. And, there is no different treatment if you do have it vs the regular flu -- stay at home and bear it out. Unless of course you have serious medical issues already.

The focus should now be on number of icu and hospital beds available for those with serious medical issues, the efficacy of some of these potential drugs, and ways to get the economy going again in parts of the country that are not hotspots. Any discussion re tests now is a waste of time and more of a political angling, blame game.

Eagle33

GOLD
Now that we are all under a "shelter in place" order, the issue of "do we have enough tests" is irrelevant. It's just a data tracker but plays no purpose in treatment nor prevention now. Tests are relevant when you are trying to identify people with the virus so that you can what? Isolate that person from the rest of the population so they don't spread it and treat them appropriately. Well, we're all isolated now anyway, so it doesn't really matter to help isolation. And, there is no different treatment if you do have it vs the regular flu -- stay at home and bear it out. Unless of course you have serious medical issues already.

The focus should now be on number of icu and hospital beds available for those with serious medical issues, the efficacy of some of these potential drugs, and ways to get the economy going again in parts of the country that are not hotspots. Any discussion re tests now is a waste of time and more of a political angling, blame game.
Are you talking about Canada or California?

outside!

PREMIER
Did you really think that through? The most valuable thing the tests can do is identify people that have been exposed to the virus, had no symptoms or extremely mild symptoms and have developed an immunity. Since the virus has not mutated from the original DNA/RNA samples taken in Wuhan (I have been researching for work) these people can now be first responders and support without the fear of spreading or catching the virus. It would also allow the isolation of infected people. If the virus cannot find new hosts, it will die out.

ajaxahi

SILVER
Coronavirus is NOT the flu. It is important for people to know that the Coronavirus is hospitalizing people at a rate much higher than the seasonal flu, including otherwise healthy younger people. CDC data for cases in the U.S. show:

20 percent of adults ages 20-44 infected with Coronavirus have been hospitalized.

40 percent of people hospitalized by Coronavirus are between the ages of 20-54.

Let that sink in for a minute. One of the things that makes the Coronavirus different from the regular flu is how aggressively it attacks the lungs, resulting in much higher rates of pneumonia for many otherwise healthy people. This is why the nation’s hospitals are now calling attention to an alarming shortage of ventilator equipment.

Oh Canada please educate yourself about the seriousness of the Coronavirus and stop spreading false information!

Yes, I did. You raise a good point, and the article is interesting, but I'm sure you recognize that it's not practical nor possible. Only 3,000 people in the Italian town. There is no possible way to test 350MM people in this country nor the billions around the World--and as we've seen this is a global pandemic. Not even WHO suggests that all people should be tested. When scale is much smaller, in this case .000008 (3000/350MM) smaller, possibilities are greater to try things. Similar reason why Denmark can provide good national healthcare for 5MM people but we would not be able to do so.

My point is based in realism and present situation, and about the vast majority of Californians. We are all in isolation now. The test does nothing to cure those who have the virus and since we are all in isolation already, it likewise does nothing to help free those from the house who test negative. Your point re healthcare workers acknowledged--but that is a subset of a subset of people. Not most here. Appreciate the reply.

Coronavirus is NOT the flu. It is important for people to know that the Coronavirus is hospitalizing people at a rate much higher than the seasonal flu, including otherwise healthy younger people. CDC data for cases in the U.S. show:

20 percent of adults ages 20-44 infected with Coronavirus have been hospitalized.

Let that sink in for a minute. One of the things that makes the Coronavirus different from the regular flu is how aggressively it attacks the lungs, resulting in much higher rates of pneumonia for many otherwise healthy people. This is why the nation’s hospitals are now calling attention to an alarming shortage of ventilator equipment.

Oh Canada please educate yourself about the seriousness of the Coronavirus and stop spreading false information!
Read my prior posts. I've been an early advocate of following social distancing, etc. (still am). Nothing political or false in my posts on this---too important an issue. Your point about this being more serious than the flu is correct. I've never suggested otherwise. But interpreting my posts does require some logical reasoning.

ajaxahi

SILVER
Read my prior posts. I've been an early advocate of following social distancing, etc. (still am). Nothing political or false in my posts on this---too important an issue. Your point about this being more serious than the flu is correct. I've never suggested otherwise. But interpreting my posts does require some logical reasoning.
Okay that’s good. But you did say treatment of coronavirus is the same as the flu unless there are preexisting health conditions, which many could mistakenly interpret that to mean the two illnesses are the same. So I thought it was important to point out that in the case of coronavirus, treatment is often much more serious, e.g. hospitalization, even for otherwise healthy people.

dad4

SILVER ELITE
We are still only at 2x the peak numbers in South Korea. Not sure why that would be too large for testing to cover.

Let it keep doubling for another 15 days and I’ll agree with you that testing has become impossible to do for general population contact tracing. One more reason to avoid contacts for the next months.

watfly

GOLD
Testing is still critical. This is a soft "shelter in place" order and like Eagle33 questioned this is more of a stay at home order. From what I've been informed by qualified individuals (but don't take my word for it) their are no penalties for ignoring the order, but I'm not recommending anyone to ignore the order. Right now the definition of essential businesses is very broad so there are plenty of people out and about. If there is a distinct outbreak in a particular community restrictions could be significantly increased and penalties implemented. (My understanding is that the shelter in place orders for the Bay Area counties due have penalties but again don't take my word for it.)

Not only is testing valuable now, but the results of the testing will be very valuable when this is all said and done to assess what happened (how what when and where) and what can be done differently in the future.

Ha! good point...CA can represent both. I was talking about California. Canada is not shelter in place. Nor are the two biggest hotspots of WA and NY.
The worst Washington hotspot was at a nursing home that was easy to isolate quickly. In New York, travel restrictions in and out of a particular hotspot neighborhood were enforced by police and National Guard --

Okay that’s good. But you did say treatment of coronavirus is the same as the flu unless there are preexisting health conditions, which many could mistakenly interpret that to mean the two illnesses are the same. So I thought it was important to point out that in the case of coronavirus, treatment is often much more serious, e.g. hospitalization, even for otherwise healthy people.
One difference is that the majority of people infected with the coronavirus do not show symptoms or have very mild symptoms. I am unsure if the people infected with the flu respond in the same way since we don't test healthy or slightly ill people for the flu.

outside!

PREMIER
There is no possible way to test 350MM people in this country nor the billions around the World--and as we've seen this is a global pandemic.
Why not? Almost everyone has a phone and those are difficult to make. Given time and the testing capabilities that are being developed it should be possible to test a large portion of the population. Widespread testing will probably happen before there is a vaccine. If California or the USA had tried to emulate the response to this pandemic that Taiwan has done, we would be in much better shape. I understand that we are a much larger population, but we also have a much larger research and manufacturing capability. More states need to follow California's lead.

I did hear one fairly stupid thing as I was walking out the door. Some politician was saying he agreed with the stay at home order since it will shorten the time that the virus is a threat. He has it completely backwards. The idea is to slow the spread of the virus so that the medical infrastructure is not overwhelmed. The fastest way to make the virus nonthreatening would to let everyone get it and let the weak die. That is probably the approach they are taking in North Korea.

ajaxahi

SILVER
One difference is that the majority of people infected with the coronavirus do not show symptoms or have very mild symptoms. I am unsure if the people infected with the flu respond in the same way since we don't test healthy or slightly ill people for the flu.
The only study I have seen on this found that 18% percent of people infected by coronavirus did not show symptoms compared with an estimated rate of 19% for the flu. So pretty similar, but definitely shows how insidious the spread of these diseases can be and underscores the importance of us healthy people keeping away from each other as much as possible until that damn curve flattens out.

I believe math matters. When comparing the media reporting the flu mortality rate to the Covid-19 mortality rate the denominators of both equations are different. For the flu they look backwards and estimate the amount of people infected. They don't have this data for Covid-19. It could end up being lower if the current rate infection is much higher than known but it could be much higher if this is only starting and not many people are infected yet. Better that we all prepare and take action for the worst and be surprised if it turns out better.

CDC data for cases in the U.S. show:

Of known cases. Only those showing moderate to severe symptoms are even able to be tested and many people have been sick with something that ticks every box of C-19 between Feb and early March yet tested negative for the flu so it was deemed as a “viral infection” or URI because we didn’t have a test for C-19.
My point isn’t to lessen the need for the measures being taken in Cali, I don’t like it, but I agree it is necessary. However the stats aren’t telling the whole truth.

ajaxahi

SILVER
Of known cases. Only those showing moderate to severe symptoms are even able to be tested and many people have been sick with something that ticks every box of C-19 between Feb and early March yet tested negative for the flu so it was deemed as a “viral infection” or URI because we didn’t have a test for C-19.
My point isn’t to lessen the need for the measures being taken in Cali, I don’t like it, but I agree it is necessary. However the stats aren’t telling the whole truth.
Point taken and I agree. But your point doesn't apply to those already being admitted to hospitals and testing positive for Coronavirus, of which 40% are between 20 and 54. For me that is a scary stat that shows this is not just a serious illness for old people.

Point taken and I agree. But your point doesn't apply to those already being admitted to hospitals and testing positive for Coronavirus, of which 40% are between 20 and 54. For me that is a scary stat that shows this is not just a serious illness for old people.
We old/sick people die off quickly, saving more resources for the youngsters.

Chalklines

SILVER ELITE

whats up with the ridiculous age ranges being posted?

one article listed the ranges :

0-17

18-64

65+

is this to imply more panic to the sheep? Great your showing 40% are hospitalized between 20-54 but 39.8% of the 40% are 50+ years of age. Can we please get some accurate data?!?!?!?!?!?

Heres a more REALISTIC range. These are the TRUE numbers I want see.

0-6

7-12

13-19

20-35

36-49

50-65

66-75

76+