Completely soccer related. Movement by the wall before a free kick.

socalkdg

PREMIER
Completely soccer related. Movement by the wall before a free kick. Wall is 10 yards, plus all the other girls on defense running a high line that is even with that wall. Our girls are mixed in with them. As our girl starts her run up to make the kick, all the defending girls run forward to put our girls in off side position, including the wall running forward, by about 3-4 yards. No call.

I thought the wall can't move forward like that.

Law 13. Until the ball is play all opponents must remain at least 10 yards from the ball. Some referees forget the ball is in play when it is kicked and clearly moves....not at the whistle. There are some exceptions to these rules. But also under the rules modification, your girls aren't allowed to be mixed in with the wall, which is also a violation of the Laws, if there are 3 or more players in the wall.

Completely soccer related. Movement by the wall before a free kick. Wall is 10 yards, plus all the other girls on defense running a high line that is even with that wall. Our girls are mixed in with them. As our girl starts her run up to make the kick, all the defending girls run forward to put our girls in off side position, including the wall running forward, by about 3-4 yards. No call.

I thought the wall can't move forward like that.
I can see three scenarios where there would be no call.

1. Ref was not paying attention. There should have been a call.
2. Let's say your DD's team scored, ref could call advantage and let the goal stand despite the foul by the defending team
3. From your description, it sounds like a pre-determined play by the entire defense. Perhaps they actually set up the wall at 13-14 yards away instead of 10 yards?

It's also technically a carding offense: "Failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick, throw-in or free kick". I've seen refs call this particularly if they've already warned the players or marked off the required distance.

I can see three scenarios where there would be no call.

1. Ref was not paying attention. There should have been a call.
2. Let's say your DD's team scored, ref could call advantage and let the goal stand despite the foul by the defending team
3. From your description, it sounds like a pre-determined play by the entire defense. Perhaps they actually set up the wall at 13-14 yards away instead of 10 yards?
It was a set play, no goal as the line running at our kicker seemed to startle her and she kicked it really wide of the goal, and they started at the 10 yard line as the Ref had walked it off. Being that the game was being played in Area 51, was only a "scrimmage" and was using only one ref, easy to see how it wasn't called as I believe the AR is in charge of watching said line and there was no AR.

It was a set play, no goal as the line running at our kicker seemed to startle her and she kicked it really wide of the goal, and they started at the 10 yard line as the Ref had walked it off. Being that the game was being played in Area 51, was only a "scrimmage" and was using only one ref, easy to see how it wasn't called as I believe the AR is in charge of watching said line and there was no AR.

Easy to see why the ref would make a mistake....not only for the points that you mentioned, but if it was a scrimmage the ref was probably more relaxed and as I said many refs mistake the ball entering play for the whistle instead of the ball being kicked and moving. But more surprising is that the opposite coach would train this as a set piece. Unless it's a youngers team (where cards are rarely shown) or unless it's a lower level team with an inexperienced coach, any seasoned coach would know that this is a good way to get a handful of your players yellow cards for the offense.

Back