Competitive Losses

Highlander

SILVER ELITE
So my DD is on an NPL team that seems to lose every game by one goal with the occasional stinker mixed in. The team is in desperate need of a striker and a couple fast wingers (guessing most teams that aren't high NPL or ECNL are probably in need of the same). Other than that a solid team. My DD plays almost every minute of every game, so zero complaints on playing time.

We have some parents who really can't stand the losing. Personally, I'm fine with it as almost all the games are competitive, the girls are playing hard and they are close to breaking through into the win column (I'm an eternal optimist). Now if we were losing by 3+ goals a game consistently I would have a different opinion. My concern is some on the team bail if we don't start winning.

I'm curious what people would think on this board if this was their DD's situation? Are you chasing wins or are you chasing competition and getting better? What's the right mix?

Usually teams have to win a minimum of 30% of the time to stay together.

Regarding forwards if you truly have an amazing defense/mid group goal scorers will find you. Everyone always thinks if XYZ team just had a super amazing forward they'd be winning let and right. The truth is that amazing forwards get to exist because amazing Mids and Defenders allow it to occur.

As Carlsbad7 says, forwards need service. If the service is poor, it is very difficult to score. A waist high pass 1 yard away is not good service.

Ya, I hear you, soccer is the ultimate team sport...that said, you haven't seen our current crop of wingers/strikers. LOL

Our striker isn't bad, just doesn't have the speed to play that position at the level we are playing at.

Is your DD happy? Does she like her teammates? Is she having fun? Does she still have enthusiasm for the sport? If yes, I would not worry too much about the wins and losses. If she keeps wanting to go to the games and practices, I would not step in.

My DD is going through some issues at this time with her team/club that when the time is right I will post details on. When adults kill the fun of the game, it is sad. Good luck to your kid.

So my DD is on an NPL team that seems to lose every game by one goal with the occasional stinker mixed in. The team is in desperate need of a striker and a couple fast wingers (guessing most teams that aren't high NPL or ECNL are probably in need of the same). Other than that a solid team. My DD plays almost every minute of every game, so zero complaints on playing time.

We have some parents who really can't stand the losing. Personally, I'm fine with it as almost all the games are competitive, the girls are playing hard and they are close to breaking through into the win column (I'm an eternal optimist). Now if we were losing by 3+ goals a game consistently I would have a different opinion. My concern is some on the team bail if we don't start winning.

I'm curious what people would think on this board if this was their DD's situation? Are you chasing wins or are you chasing competition and getting better? What's the right mix?

In bold is key....my kid wants to play against the best even though she knows that means losing as many as she wins....the odd blowout happens at the top level but if your team is largely competitive even if losing then it's a great spot for her development.....winning 4,5,6,7 zero every weekend in a lower league just gives an impression you're getting better but it is not the reality.....

@Carlsbad7 is right that a 30% win rate is a good minimum to shoot for as goes team spirit and so on......

@MyDaughtersAKeeper is also right asking is your DD happy? That's #1

Is your DD happy? Does she like her teammates? Is she having fun? Does she still have enthusiasm for the sport? If yes, I would not worry too much about the wins and losses. If she keeps wanting to go to the games and practices, I would not step in.

My DD is going through some issues at this time with her team/club that when the time is right I will post details on. When adults kill the fun of the game, it is sad. Good luck to your kid.

This 100X

Also, I hope whatever issues your DD is going through get resolved. Your last sentence is happening way too much in youth sports these days.

My kid is going through a competitive losses season. The games are competitive and close. Opposing teams might just have more leg power to hit in goals from further out. Our team had good chances but ball goes wide, things like that. It sucks to lose and the parents hate consecutive losses even if they are close games. You can hear the groans, the oh nos, and the questions about the coaching/practices from the parents. I find myself wanting to remind people that it was a 1 goal difference game or that we have less conceded goals than other teams higher in the standings, but I don’t think that would help convince the win is a win and loss is a loss folks.

The players show up to practice happy as can be and itching to practice from what I can tell. So I think its more of a parent than player problem.
I think losing does lead to parents and players thinking about why they are losing, just like what OP is doing. If the reasons are not things that can be addressed soon, then people start thinking about leaving.

Is your team not creating shots or not putting away shots? If they're not creating opportunities then it's a team issue as others have mentioned. Most girls at high level are decent defenders so scores are usually low and close even though the game itself can be one-sided. There are plenty of deceivingly close 1-0 games where one team never threatened.

90% of all teams on planet earth are looking for strikers. You are not alone. :)

“My concern is some on the team bail if we don't start winning.”

This is the part you have ZERO control over. If parents start to complain about winning and your team gets relegated (bottom 3 or 4 teams are relegated at the end of the season) you have to expect players will leave. Hopefully you have a good head coach and director that can keep everyone together and moving forward.

Not everyone is an eternal optimist. Some parents expect a return in their investment in the form of wins.

Nobody is asking a crucial question. What is your coach doing to make your team more competitive, given the player composition of your team? From what you describe (a lack of speed on the forward line), my guess is that your team is too heavily reliant upon long balls and through-balls where your forwards get run down by speedy fullbacks. Among other options that I would explore:
  • Can your forwards do better with combination play instead of relying on their speed? Is combination play being taught? Quickness in combination-play beats speed.
  • Can you convert a speedy player, perhaps in the fullback line, into a forward? It is a project that could take a few months, but it could solve your problem.
  • How many forwards are you using? 2? 3? Consider reducing the number of forwards where you do not have the talent, and increasing the number of midfielders where you might be stronger. Sounds like you might go with 1 forward and 5 midfielders. Increase possession in the middle third and build closer to the box. Use your forward to pin back the defense while serving as a holder and distributor for midfielders making runs into the box.
  • What has your coach been doing to help your forwards finish? Is it just having them shoot at the goal? Or is there a real effort to teach strategies to get open in front of the net and to get the shot off?
  • Has your coach been working on intelligent connections between the midfielders and the forward line to create penetration?

If you think she is improving/developing, coaching is good and she is happy then i wouldn't worry too much about winning. Ya it would be nice to get a win here and there but development is more important

Thanks for all the great responses! I'll try to answer here:
- Daughter is very happy on the team, likes her team mates and loves playing, so all good in that regards. That's why I hope no one bails after the season, if we could pull in 3 more talented players the team would be really good IMO - that said, see comment about eternal optimist above. LOL
- I'll add this, our team has to be the youngest team in the league (U13), most of our players are born in the second half of the year...you can definitely see this plays a BIG difference right now (U13)
- We create a decent amount of chances, but are extremely unlucky...hit the post/cross bar many times...honestly, it's amazing how many times we have almost scored...
- Our coach is married to the 4-3-3...a buddy of mine with a DD on the team who played high level thinks she needs to switch to a 3-5-2 based on our roster...that said, zero chance coach changes anything.
- Is the coach trying to improve the offense? For sure - most of our practices revolve around passing / combo play...I think this is smart for the long run. Hopefully our strikers/wingers are practicing their shooting at home LOL

I have a U13B. Maybe some of it has to do with the age. This is the first full season playing 11v11 right? I guess things to think about whether the club has ability to recruit or if there are players from another team to bring up. If the players are all improving, they should be in good shape next year. If your player is happy and you have reason to believe the team is improving, then the best you can do is encourage and cheer the team on. Don't pile on with other groaning parents after a loss. Better yet make it known your kid will be sticking with the team.

For my own situation, my team has a a problem with player pool (1/3 of the team is already playing one year up), limited club ability to recruit and a coaching change in the future that my kid will not thrive under. So all those reasons leads to looking at leaving.

Thanks for all the great responses! I'll try to answer here:
- Daughter is very happy on the team, likes her team mates and loves playing, so all good in that regards. That's why I hope no one bails after the season, if we could pull in 3 more talented players the team would be really good IMO - that said, see comment about eternal optimist above. LOL
- I'll add this, our team has to be the youngest team in the league (U13), most of our players are born in the second half of the year...you can definitely see this plays a BIG difference right now (U13)
- We create a decent amount of chances, but are extremely unlucky...hit the post/cross bar many times...honestly, it's amazing how many times we have almost scored...
- Our coach is married to the 4-3-3...a buddy of mine with a DD on the team who played high level thinks she needs to switch to a 3-5-2 based on our roster...that said, zero chance coach changes anything.
- Is the coach trying to improve the offense? For sure - most of our practices revolve around passing / combo play...I think this is smart for the long run. Hopefully our strikers/wingers are practicing their shooting at home LOL
I have a 16U (GA and NPL) who has been in the same situation for about 3 years. Many talented players coming and going in search of something, really solid team with some talent sprinkled in. Fall lots of losing, Spring get wins and competitive losses -- move up a level, girls leave -- Fall lots of losing, Spring get wins and competitive loses -- rinse repeat!! Coach is great and club is great for my kid as she still hasn't given up other activities. Depends some on the area if the strikers will find you/stay or move to greener pastures (Names and Letters).
My kid loves her teammates and the coach which has made it all easier for us crazy A parents!!

Back