College Soccer Format Change

BigSoccer

SILVER ELITE
Good news .. there is a vote in April to change the soccer format into a fall and spring season lessening the stress on the players. The national championship would be in the spring. If adopted scheduled to start the 2022 season.

Good news .. there is a vote in April to change the soccer format into a fall and spring season lessening the stress on the players. The national championship would be in the spring. If adopted scheduled to start the 2022 season.
Is this for men's soccer only?

From what I understand it is for both men and women. 1st half of the season ends at Thanksgiving. 2 less games a year.
I know the majority of women players are not in favor of this since they feel it will make the student part of student athlete more difficult. I disagree, but I am not a female college soccer player.

From what I understand it is for both men and women. 1st half of the season ends at Thanksgiving. 2 less games a year.

The reform would apply only to the men’s game, but the women’s game is watching closely. If the change succeeds, the women will likely adopt the format, too. Division II and Division III might then also follow suit, though they don’t have to.

One prediction I have heard about the possibility of this change is that it will result in many mens soccer programs being wiped out.

My sense is that this just stretches the season and do not believe it will eliminate spring friendlies. Also probably increases "in season" training time limits to both fall and spring semesters (and fall, winter and spring quarters).

My kid's last year is next season so he won't be affected but it sounds like very coach centric approach and not student-athlete centric change. The notion of missing less classes is good as long as all the games are on the weekends and not mid week (article is not clear on this point).

The benefit to the players and the coaches is having more time with the ball during what would be considered off-season today, by making the season longer and be in-season. So from training stand point, its better and perhaps that's the part that NCAA should address and not necessarily making a year long season.

My sense is that this just stretches the season and do not believe it will eliminate spring friendlies. Also probably increases "in season" training time limits to both fall and spring semesters (and fall, winter and spring quarters).

My kid's last year is next season so he won't be affected but it sounds like very coach centric approach and not student-athlete centric change. The notion of missing less classes is good as long as all the games are on the weekends and not mid week (article is not clear on this point).

The benefit to the players and the coaches is having more time with the ball during what would be considered off-season today, by making the season longer and be in-season. So from training stand point, its better and perhaps that's the part that NCAA should address and not necessarily making a year long season.

In the current format, practice is pretty much year-round already - that's why there are Spring games.

In the current format, practice is pretty much year-round already - that's why there are Spring games.
Of course but the hours are different and how much coaches can directly engage the players on the field is different between in-season and off-season.

I am not sure it will kill programs. Here is the other issue not brought up. Not that the MLS draft is huge but you could lose players mid-season. Think of a sophomore like Dike being drafted and now ineligible. What about early enrolled players who graduate HS early to start college in the spring semester. I do think the current schedule is too compact and is harmful to the player over all. In the summer can a college player play for a USL or other league team on an amateur contract?

I am not sure it will kill programs. Here is the other issue not brought up. Not that the MLS draft is huge but you could lose players mid-season. Think of a sophomore like Dike being drafted and now ineligible. What about early enrolled players who graduate HS early to start college in the spring semester. I do think the current schedule is too compact and is harmful to the player over all. In the summer can a college player play for a USL or other league team on an amateur contract?

The PDL was set up with that in mind - summer schedule mainly staffed by college players, with a few poorly-paid professionals mixed in. I think they have modified their structure in the last few years and changed their name to USL2, the most minor of the minor league teams recognized by USSF.

Why is this good news? Why would D3 players be in favor of stretching out the season? Most D3 and Ivy League players I know use the second half of their junior year to study abroad. At this level they are students first.

Why is this good news? Why would D3 players be in favor of stretching out the season? Most D3 and Ivy League players I know use the second half of their junior year to study abroad. At this level they are students first.

The article clearly states that its for D1 (i.e., do not include D2 and D3).

As for Ivys, they have their own league rules that is currently more stringent than NCAA during off season so I would imagine that they will implement their own rules within NCAA rules regardless of the outcome. The article also stated that Ivys do not agree with the change proposed and that they believe to have other solution approach to protecting injuries of players, if that's the primary focus.

Back