College Scholarships for Women's Soccer

Just something to consider. One of my nieces was not an ECNL player. She was a strong discovery player and she got a scholarship for a university in Canada. They offer very good scholarships and it’s been a great experience.

Also keep in mind that some college coaches will frown on giving a player a scholarship if they are getting into tough study programs. My niece had an opportunity to play for a local university but once the coach found out that she was going to focus on a medical degree, he passed on giving her a spot on the team.

My advice is School first and soccer 2nd when it comes to college.
Thanks for sharing bro. You have been honest and we all appreciate some truth from sages. The word "scholarship" is thrown around way too much for the girls and dumb dads like me think its a full ride. I will say I had some Docs that lied all the time about this and that. Basically, it cost to play soccer in America and the cost is way to high for the average American household, moo!! It's honestly sad and too bad all in one. If you got the dough and dd can kick and papa keep his mouth shut, you can continue playing soccer. If you see bad behavior and call it out, you get blackballed and blacklisted by asshole Docs who say they know everyone in the game and you better STFU. I'm starting to see some patterns and I can say this whole system is built on the girls hard work and daddies money. What a mess, moo!

Daughter was offered a full ride scholarship( Tuition/Room and Board). They gave her an 8 day deadline to accept the offer. My wife told them she didn't need 8 days and told them right there over the phone flat out NO. Don't care if your a top school you just don't try to bully a player with a short timeline like that.

Daughter was offered a full ride scholarship( Tuition/Room and Board). They gave her an 8 day deadline to accept the offer. My wife told them she didn't need 8 days and told them right there over the phone flat out NO. Don't care if your a top school you just don't try to bully a player with a short timeline like that.

Yup 8 days can be generous, mutiple offers had come in with a 1-3 day acceptance window so your results can vary. Blind offers are always surprising but yeah take the time and choose wisely.

The other side of the coin is only contacting universities that the player is willing to accept offers on and telling them in advance with your timeline is/are.

I can see both sides of this actually. On the players side, the process is months long, if not years, and to attempt to force a timeline on a player in that context seems out of place. But on the other side, many schools are in a situation where they can afford to be only interested in student athletes who are totally committed to that school such that they accept immediately. A student who needs more time is one that is likely shopping around, particularly when it comes to a full ride.

I know some 2022's that are getting less than a week. I know if it was a school that was on top 5 list, plus was 100%, we'd be going to visit over the weekend and daughter would be meeting players and coach to make that decision in 8 days. I'd also state in the nicest terms my rejection. Never burn bridges and you never know who their friends are. Small circles for these coaches.

My dd was told 30 days or else.....lol. It was way nicer then that and professional. My dd took a day and said no thank you. Her other friend was told one week or deal is off the table just like, from Big U. Keep in mine she was 8th grader. She took the deal and is happy she did today. Another pals dd took that one week or else deal in 8th grade and is going to quit after she arrives on campus. In fairness, they only have so much to give away in money so you must grab what you can. I can't say where today she will play after HSS, but play she will. She loves this game so much. I told you when she was in 8th grade the fun of soccer turned into mental anguish. Why? Because you better get 4.3, love math and have no boy friend if you want to be a true Unicorn or at best, Unicorn in the making. Maps taught us all that and it holds true. The fact is, your going to being paying to play soccer at this time. Great job on saying no to that kind of pressure :)

D1 only has 14 scholarships if fully funded. Roster can be 30+ so you do the math. D2 has less. Also outside of the Power 5 conference scholarships are year to year regardless of what they tell you. A coach can take away a scholarship, lower it, or increase based on a players impact and their need to give money to other players. If they don't see your kid making an impact they may also encourage them to transfer. Remember college sports is a business and any player should treat it as a job.

D1 only has 14 scholarships if fully funded. Roster can be 30+ so you do the math. D2 has less. Also outside of the Power 5 conference scholarships are year to year regardless of what they tell you. A coach can take away a scholarship, lower it, or increase based on a players impact and their need to give money to other players. If they don't see your kid making an impact they may also encourage them to transfer. Remember college sports is a business and any player should treat it as a job.
100% most honest take ever on the forum. You left plenty out but I won't go there today. Thanks for being honest. This blood bath/cut throat type of job for these poor girls is so sad. I mean that too. It's business and the parents pay so others can have a business. No thanks. I ain't paying for that, no way. I want way better service. I do agree D2 is the way to go if someone is being threaten with demotion as 18 year old. I'm not liking how the girls have been treated fellas. I have to be honest here.

Thanks for sharing bro. You have been honest and we all appreciate some truth from sages. The word "scholarship" is thrown around way too much for the girls and dumb dads like me think its a full ride. I will say I had some Docs that lied all the time about this and that. Basically, it cost to play soccer in America and the cost is way to high for the average American household, moo!! It's honestly sad and too bad all in one. If you got the dough and dd can kick and papa keep his mouth shut, you can continue playing soccer. If you see bad behavior and call it out, you get blackballed and blacklisted by asshole Docs who say they know everyone in the game and you better STFU. I'm starting to see some patterns and I can say this whole system is built on the girls hard work and daddies money. What a mess, moo!

It does help to have a job and not piss off people who can help you, that is true. To the extent you did neither, well, that falls squarely on you.

100% most honest take ever on the forum. You left plenty out but I won't go there today. Thanks for being honest. This blood bath/cut throat type of job for these poor girls is so sad. I mean that too. It's business and the parents pay so others can have a business. No thanks. I ain't paying for that, no way. I want way better service. I do agree D2 is the way to go if someone is being threaten with demotion as 18 year old. I'm not liking how the girls have been treated fellas. I have to be honest here.
What makes you think DII is any different? The NCAA scholarship allocation is less, which could actually make for more shenanigans, not less. Lots of variation though, as in DI. Did you mean DIII?

No different then losing academic scholarships if grades slip. Better to take a 50% scholarship with a chance to play your freshman year than a 33% P5 scholarship and sit on the bench, even with it being guaranteed. If your kid is only playing soccer for the money, then that is going to be a problem anyways. Play for the love of the game at a school they love.

What he said. It is a job. Your DDs will learn that very quick. Also THE reason that choosing the school FIRST is paramount.

What he said. It is a job. Your DDs will learn that very quick. Also THE reason that choosing the school FIRST is paramount.
100% agree with you Dubs if school is #1 reason one is playing soccer. Other soccer players just want soccer #1 and then some classes to brush up skills I guess. Soccer should not be controlled like this for girls. It's a job 100% and they have to pay to play and work a fulltime job in order to continue playing soccer. This is crazy and sad all in one. Who gets paid?

Just to emphasize a full ride includes:

All 4 years or more guaranteed scholarship; detailed on the NIL. This covers tuition, meals, boarding, books, medical, stipend, cost of attendance, off campus housing allowance, equipment i.e shoes, and additional training.

After college, the family should not have incurred any educational or athletic related expenses.

Just to emphasize a full ride includes:

All 4 years or more guaranteed scholarship; detailed on the NIL. This covers tuition, meals, boarding, books, medical, stipend, cost of attendance, off campus housing allowance, equipment i.e shoes, and additional training.

After college, the family should not have incurred any educational or athletic related expenses.

Some people call it "Total Cost of Attendance"

Some people call it "Total Cost of Attendance"

Yes, your correct.

Full ride package as I described are very, very rare and usually only offered to the Top Ranking National Team Players like UCLA's Reilyn Turner, and Sunshine Fontes.

No offense, but that is not bullying. Take it or leave it. They have other players lined up who want that offer. That is extremely generous. If you have not been prepared to make a decision, then that is on you.

They are not going to let their plan b go elsewhere because you need more time.

Back