College Scholarships for Women's Soccer

MicPaPa

GOLD
With DD's nearing or entering High School, I would like to hear from parents who's DD's have made the journey of obtaining a college scholarship for soccer.

Understanding there are probably many case by case variables, but generally speaking, what are some of the best ways to obtain a soccer scholarship and what size soccer scholarship would a top 10% player be offered at a D1, D2, D3, NAIA?

With DD's nearing or entering High School, I would like to hear from parents who's DD's have made the journey of obtaining a college scholarship for soccer.

Understanding there are probably many case by case variables, but generally speaking, what are some of the best ways to obtain a soccer scholarship and what size soccer scholarship would a top 10% player be offered at a D1, D2, D3, NAIA?
In the current post Covid environment with an extra Covid year for all current players, money is scarce. This will probably hold true for the classes of 2022-25. Baring another screwing of future kids by the NCAA, things may return to normal for 26 grads where at least a 50% athletic scholarship would be available to the top 10%.

My niece was a youth US National player and played national championship match with her ECNL team. She got 50% at UCLA. Here's the problem, you still need to pay about $24k a year x 4 years. She practices every day for 3 hours so her school grades are getting impacted. She also has very limited minutes on a college roster of like 30 players. Granted UCLA is a top 5 school so maybe it's much easier in other D1 schools.

Full ride athletic scholarships are rare but do happen. Often there is a combination of financial aid, academic and athletic scholarships to get the best deal. It depends a lot on where you go. My suggestion is to pick an excellent academic environment and not necessarily chase the top 10
Power 5 school. Go somewhere that has the right major and school environment. Getting the education you are looking for and leaving school with low or now debt and playing a lot of minutes is a much more rewarding experience than sitting on the bench of a packed roster fighting for field time

Sure but trying to understand the financial side of the equation.
Probably a push to negative ROI in 99% of cases…. Taken into account opportunity cost (money and time), market returns, type of league, trainers, transportation etc. … if you’re basing a decision solely on the financial side, club sports not for your family, unless to kicker’s point, the qualitative aspects are highly valued, which I believe most club soccer parents value as priceless.

A few things from my experience and the experience of those around us:
- Parents and Players will need to do the work. Making Clips, sending emails, following the programs they are interested in (watching games, social media, etc).
- Make and email list of all the Coaches in the programs you are reaching out to and email them regularly with some content (either game clips or comments about the game you watched)
- Cast a wide net.
- Keep up your grades and your involvement in the school and volunteer in your community.

I can’t speak to Financial expectations because it often depends on many “x” factors. My perspective was that every penny was a blessing.

My point being, if you are approaching Youth Sports with any type of financial ROI in mind, you’re doing it for the wrong reasons.
No argument. I'm approaching from the opposite angle - only focus on the enjoyment/development and don't worry about the scholarship. There seems to be a lot of pressure to step up and play for more expensive clubs/leagues in order to increase scholarship opportunities. Doesn't seem worth it.

It varies depending on the school, what funds they have available, the level of player your daughter is and how sought after she is.

I have seen the best athletic money come from D, D2 and NAIA. I know of a player that got 85% total cost of attendance for the first two years and then 100% total cost of attendance the last two years at a private D1 top 25 team and top 50 school. This player's peer, with similar accolades and same position, received a 50% scholarship for all 4 years at a top 10 D1 Pac-12 public school. Generally speaking, the longer the roster, the smaller the scholarship allocations unless your player is a unicorn. The earlier the player makes a decision, the better as far as money goes. I know rules are different these days, but this was the case a few years back. A strong GPA is helpful as well, as it provides other avenues of receiving money and makes a player more desirable as it helps with the team GPA, etc.

It varies depending on the school, what funds they have available, the level of player your daughter is and how sought after she is.

I have seen the best athletic money come from D, D2 and NAIA. I know of a player that got 85% total cost of attendance for the first two years and then 100% total cost of attendance the last two years at a private D1 top 25 team and top 50 school. This player's peer, with similar accolades and same position, received a 50% scholarship for all 4 years at a top 10 D1 Pac-12 public school. Generally speaking, the longer the roster, the smaller the scholarship allocations unless your player is a unicorn. The earlier the player makes a decision, the better as far as money goes. I know rules are different these days, but this was the case a few years back. A strong GPA is helpful as well, as it provides other avenues of receiving money and makes a player more desirable as it helps with the team GPA, etc.
Bingo!!!!

My oldest DD is a freshman in collage playing softball. As many have pointed out, full rides are few and far between. Can’t stress how important good grades are. With athletic and academic money we are out of pocket for a little less that half including dorm and meal plan.

Some good advice here, there's a lot of other scholarship opportunities grants, fund, school work available outside of Athletics so consider those also.

Many times Athletics money can be year to year and not necessarily the same cut ever year.

We saved for our kids college education many years in advance not counting on getting anything. We've been pleasantly surprised that between academics, Athletics, , and other things we're targeted to spend a fraction of that but I'm sure grad school might use thst up if they go that route. Women's scholarship money can be at times easier vs men, more of it and less competition.

First, get this book. Helpful. She runs a great website on Facebook as well.

Put your highlights on youtube. Go for about 3-5 minutes. Include with emails. have kid get instagram just for soccer.

Send 15 emails each to D1 and D2 schools. Maybe another 5 to D3 and NAIA. Make sure the school passes the broken leg test. If they can never play again, will they still be happy at that school. Understand only 10-20% of the schools might respond. Also realize that they may miss your emails so send another round 8 weeks later to the same schools. I've heard some players didn't get a response until their 3rd email. One school for my daughter took 7 weeks after her first email before she got a response, with the response being very positive.

During season responses can be reduced to a trickle. Coaches are trying to win. After the season expect the coaches to have a better idea on who they want to keep and what they are looking for. Been told to use the 3 strikes rule. No response after 3 emails, cross off your list.

Decide if playing time is important as well. All our kids have been playing full time. Are they good on the bench for a year or two, or do they want to start as a freshmen. In state could be cheaper, but other states can offer in state tuition. https://www.wiche.edu/

Not every school stacks academic and athletic scholarships. Additionally some schools and some people consider a full ride all tuition, but doesn't include room and board. 50% of just tuition isn't as good as another school offering 33% of tuition and room and board. Each school, state, and situation is different. Additionally never share what you get. Coaches and other players won't be happy. My daughter and I want a school she likes, wants her to play for them, and gives some money. If that is 25% or 75%, we will be fine.

Help your kid, but they have to write the emails, they have to talk to the coaches, they have to choose the school, they have go to ID camps, and most importantly they have to be flexible. Don't talk about money until both sides are ready to seal the deal. Be honest with the coaches. My daughter has talked with a couple coaches and they asked what schools were interested. She lets them know. We are a 2023 and in the middle of the process. We are still seeing 2022's being recruited. We expect a number of additional schools in the coming months.

Oh, and thanks to everyone that has posted info here, sent me a DM with info and help. I'm available as well for anyone that has a question.

First, get this book. Helpful. She runs a great website on Facebook as well.

Put your highlights on youtube. Go for about 3-5 minutes. Include with emails. have kid get instagram just for soccer.

Send 15 emails each to D1 and D2 schools. Maybe another 5 to D3 and NAIA. Make sure the school passes the broken leg test. If they can never play again, will they still be happy at that school. Understand only 10-20% of the schools might respond. Also realize that they may miss your emails so send another round 8 weeks later to the same schools. I've heard some players didn't get a response until their 3rd email. One school for my daughter took 7 weeks after her first email before she got a response, with the response being very positive.

During season responses can be reduced to a trickle. Coaches are trying to win. After the season expect the coaches to have a better idea on who they want to keep and what they are looking for. Been told to use the 3 strikes rule. No response after 3 emails, cross off your list.

Decide if playing time is important as well. All our kids have been playing full time. Are they good on the bench for a year or two, or do they want to start as a freshmen. In state could be cheaper, but other states can offer in state tuition. https://www.wiche.edu/

Not every school stacks academic and athletic scholarships. Additionally some schools and some people consider a full ride all tuition, but doesn't include room and board. 50% of just tuition isn't as good as another school offering 33% of tuition and room and board. Each school, state, and situation is different. Additionally never share what you get. Coaches and other players won't be happy. My daughter and I want a school she likes, wants her to play for them, and gives some money. If that is 25% or 75%, we will be fine.

Help your kid, but they have to write the emails, they have to talk to the coaches, they have to choose the school, they have go to ID camps, and most importantly they have to be flexible. Don't talk about money until both sides are ready to seal the deal. Be honest with the coaches. My daughter has talked with a couple coaches and they asked what schools were interested. She lets them know. We are a 2023 and in the middle of the process. We are still seeing 2022's being recruited. We expect a number of additional schools in the coming months.

Oh, and thanks to everyone that has posted info here, sent me a DM with info and help. I'm available as well for anyone that has a question.
This is an excellent summary, thank you and thanks to everyone for their input.

There are a lot of layers to this topic and this is the kind of information exchange I was hoping to generate, thanks again.

This is an excellent summary, thank you and thanks to everyone for their input.

There are a lot of layers to this topic and this is the kind of information exchange I was hoping to generate, thanks again.

Just something to consider. One of my nieces was not an ECNL player. She was a strong discovery player and she got a scholarship for a university in Canada. They offer very good scholarships and it’s been a great experience.

Also keep in mind that some college coaches will frown on giving a player a scholarship if they are getting into tough study programs. My niece had an opportunity to play for a local university but once the coach found out that she was going to focus on a medical degree, he passed on giving her a spot on the team.

My advice is School first and soccer 2nd when it comes to college.

Back