College recruiting question.

socalkdg

PREMIER

How many kids are recruited from High School games, how many from Club games? Any website that shows actual statistics on this?

I have been led to believe that Club is supreme and that High School is just for fun. But there is a stat out there that showed that 97% of college soccer players played both club and high school. Hoping to find some things online, not just personal experience.

Thanks.

How many kids are recruited from High School games, how many from Club games? Any website that shows actual statistics on this?

I have been led to believe that Club is supreme and that High School is just for fun. But there is a stat out there that showed that 97% of college soccer players played both club and high school. Hoping to find some things online, not just personal experience.

Thanks.
Historically, there was no restrictions on players playing for their Club and for HS. US Soccer changed that (no, I don’t agree with it), so the data doesn’t really tell us more than the obvious.

I think you will be hard pressed to find true data on where a kid was recruited...Showcase, Club game, ID Camp, HS game, etc.

Well majority of high school players nowadays either play club or had play club or academy so making a distinction of recruitement due to high school or club games I don't know about that. Normally a combination of things and mutiple events that are evaluated.

What I can tell you is if your player is; all league, all tournment, team makes a nice playoff run or you play for a highly ranked HS you player will get some college recruitement from the locals.

Clubs same thing pretty much but depending on the leagues & tournments you play in the recruitement can be from a broader ranges of colleges, out of state, etc.

Your results may vary but your club or hs colleage coordinate and coaches can give you more details.

Well majority of high school players nowadays either play club or had play club or academy so making a distinction of recruitement due to high school or club games I don't know about that. Normally a combination of things and mutiple events that are evaluated.

What I can tell you is if your player is; all league, all tournment, team makes a nice playoff run or you play for a highly ranked HS you player will get some college recruitement from the locals.

Clubs same thing pretty much but depending on the leagues & tournments you play in the recruitement can be from a broader ranges of colleges, out of state, etc.

Your results may vary but your club or hs colleage coordinate and coaches can give you more details.

When my son started looking at colleges, we found out that the local colleges already knew about him from his [play on club teams. After he was selected for state and regional ODP teams and started playing in ODP events, he was getting emails from colleges all over the country.

On the high school side, I have seen at least three college coaches "scouting" at local HS games. I recognized one (he had been DOC in our club years before) and sat next to him to tell him about the players on the team. He said he already knew which players he was there to observe (from their club exposure, I think).

Thanks.

From what I understand, whenever a college coach attends a HS game, he is there to confirm/visit with a kid already on his radar. Its more a show of solidarity for his recruiting class and not actual scouting, unless the HS is within the same geographic area as the college. Because a college soccer team's budget is very limited, actual scouting very rarely occurs at HS games because its a horribly inefficient method ... take a trip and see 2 teams, versus a club/college showcase ... take a trip and see 60 teams.

I'm sure there are many kids that compile film using their HS games as part of their outreach to coaches, but scouting rarely happens at HS games because its too damn inefficient and costly.

What you will also find is scouts come out to Cal South National Cup games, but not Governors Cup, so its just not college showcases. I've seen many scouts attend high level tournaments in their backyard. Finally, as others have pointed out, 90% of HS players also play club. I can't imagine the statistics would be relevant.

My player was initially identified during Legends College showcase, then at USYS National League in North Carolina, and then was seen again later in the year at a high school practice by her east coast college coach who was in town for Turkey Surf. Who knows which event solidified their interest, but all helped to move the process forward. But again, there isn't just one way to go...no golden ticket. Each path is unique to the player.

I have spoke to as many as 10 different college coaches about this subject over the last year and most say they will never go to a high school game. The remaining have said that they would only go if they had seen the player before (ie club, etc) and needed to make a final decision and that was their only remaining opportunity. One mentioned that the true high school showcases he may attend as he can see a bunch of players at once.

Yes college coaches recruit from HS.
At the recent holiday tournments for example there was mutiple div 1-3 coaches at the quarters final days and beyond at some of the higher level events.

Individual league games not so much but where there are tournments or a chance to see mutiple higher level teams and players they will show up and not just for players already on the radar.

There is also international scouts at the tournments looking for possible players for their leagues, couple mx ones at the holiday one we attended.

Club & academy obviously have more opportunities for scouting, once in a while coaches even show up for practice or scrimmages sometime but it does happen for HS also but on a much smaller scale.

My player was initially identified during Legends College showcase, then at USYS National League in North Carolina, and then was seen again later in the year at a high school practice by her east coast college coach who was in town for Turkey Surf. Who knows which event solidified their interest, but all helped to move the process forward. But again, there isn't just one way to go...no golden ticket. Each path is unique to the player.
An acquaintance of mine was a D1 assistant and now a head coach back east. I recall him saying several years ago that they only go to high school games if they need to look at player a final time. Otherwise they would not attend these games.

At the recent holiday tournments for example there was mutiple div 1-3 coaches at the quarters final days and beyond at some of the higher level events.

Individual league games not so much but where there are tournments or a chance to see mutiple higher level teams and players they will show up and not just for players already on the radar.

There is also international scouts at the tournments looking for possible players for their leagues, couple mx ones at the holiday one we attended.

Club & academy obviously have more opportunities for scouting, once in a while coaches even show up for practice or scrimmages sometime but it does happen for HS also but on a much smaller scale.

I would guess you are talking about boys high school. I can't imagine any international scouts coming to a girls high school game. Recruiting for boys vs girls is very different.

I would guess you are talking about boys high school. I can't imagine any international scouts coming to a girls high school game. Recruiting for boys vs girls is very different.

There are a couple of girls from beach who have been on the radar or have trained with bayern munich, PSG, and others overseas during the breaks,.

Don't know if High School had anything to do with it but international women's clubs do scout & have a history with Americans, several on the wnt for example.

How is it different? I can imagine the depth of boys is much greater...

There are a couple of girls from beach who have been on the radar or have trained with bayern munich, PSG, and others overseas during the breaks,.

Don't know if High School had anything to do with it but international women's clubs do scout & have a history with Americans, several on the wnt for example.

This has nothing to do with international opportunities for girls - of course there are those situations. My comment was that I highly doubted that the "scouts" came to any high school games to find players.

HS doesn’t factor in for the player you are referring to. She is an ‘05.

When were the HS holiday tourneys? With “dead period” beginning Dec. 15 thru Jan. 5 for DI, I wouldn’t think there would be the opportunity.

This has nothing to do with international opportunities for girls - of course there are those situations. My comment was that I highly doubted that the "scouts" came to any high school games to find players.

Ok but I can tell you that coaches ucla, USC, lmu, irvine, Dominguez, Santa Barbara, and others have been out to see my kids hs teams play. Both girls & boys teams over the last six years or so.

HS sports have there place and there are scouts looking for players especially those with mutli national possibilities. Some of foreign and central American womens teams actually hold camps in socal looking for players and they will come to a HS tournments when there in town occasionally..

When were the HS holiday tourneys? With “dead period” beginning Dec. 15 thru Jan. 5 for DI, I wouldn’t think there would be the opportunity.

Holiday tournments are normally around Thanksgiving or the winter break for schools, this is around he same time that college id camps are going on, so not sure what dead period your referring to?

Holiday tournments are normally during the winter break for schools, this is around he same time that college id camps are going on, so not sure what dead period your referring to?

@Kicknit22 is referring to the Women's NCAA dead period. The women coaches asked the NCAA for a dead period between Dec 15 - Jan 5 where recruiting was prohibited so they could spend time with their families over the holiday and not get sucked out to the Disney Tournament in Florida over the Christmas Break.

@Kicknit22 is referring to the Women's NCAA dead period. The women coaches asked the NCAA for a dead period between Dec 15 - Jan 5 where recruiting was prohibited so they could spend time with their families over the holiday and not get sucked out to the Disney Tournament in Florida over the Christmas Break.

If they didn't want to perform essential elements of the job they shouldn't have taken it.

Back