College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

First of all, please don;t even try to figure out the scoop, Jackson. Buzz off. My dd wanted to play on the National Team in the Olympics, remember? It goes like this I was told. Make YNT at 13 or 14, hopefully Top D1 school and then the pros then get big call up for first cap at 23? My hope and hers was an interest from my favorite school ((not hers yet but she does like to please her old man)) and still fav school when she's JR. At 13, we were going for the YNT, then college then the pros, that's what I was told was the process. This has nothing to do with the club you are talking about. These Docs were actually being very honest with me and as I look back on all this I appreciate it more today. No Doc said anything bad or wrong with me. They just gave me the low down and I was upset with the system and the recruiting process. Not one Doc or D1 coach approached for anything. It was just understood that it was impossible to go tot hat school. All this Singer stuff is interesting and how someone made that roster. I have no idea dude.

How funny would it be if I had a kid who was a regular on the YNT? I bet that would really get under some people’s skin, eh?

How funny would it be if I had a kid who was a regular on the YNT? I bet that would really get under some people’s skin, eh?

Why? I mean, you are clearly showing a propensity to reading meanings that don't exist into what people are writing but why would it get under anyone's skin? Why wouldn't that be a great thing, a great accomplishment for your child? Why wouldn't people understand that you would (naturally) have pride in that achievement and sustained level of play? I know those kids sacrifice to attend camps, compete with the YNTs and maintain their schoolwork. Under my skin? Not even close. I'd be standing and applauding.

Umm, that’s not what happened. They gave the money to Singer who then bribed the old USC womens’s coach to bribe the UCLA men’s coach to find a way to get Lauren admitted. Somehow she magically ends up on the soccer roster and the Isackson’s 600k bribe is complete. Cromwell never touched the money so was in the clear.
this story is old so the Details are a bit fuzzy, but this is how I remember it.

The fuzzy details include how the UCLA men's coach convinced the UCLA women's coach to go along with the scheme.

I haven’t said a single thing that one of you conspiracy theorists hasn’t already suggested, although I do admit making the occasional embellishment for the purpose of mocking the ridiculousness of your “theories” and to help you the rest of the way down the rabbit hole.

I'm not seeing any conspiracy. For my part, it looks something like this:

EOTL: this is how things went down. It's obvious. Duh.

DK: it may have gone down that way. Nobody really knows what happened other than the insiders. And, for emphasis, YOU MAY BE RIGHT.

EOTL: ah ha! Conspiracy theorist! You use all caps!

DK: I'm confused. What conspiracy? I said you may be right. I said none of us knows what happened. I said again that you may be right. I did ask about the confounding fact of listing the player on the roster, a fact that you don't seem to want to address. It is a fact - it happened - but how it happened is mere speculation by anyone. I'm not engaging in speculation on that b/c I just don't know.

I will say that this statement you made, "UCLA would have fired her if she had done something that deserved to get fired" is often far, far from being correct. There are many reasons why an employer, especially a public employer or any employer that is subject to strict oversight (an employer of unionized workers, for example), does not fire an employee it wishes to fire and believes deserves to be fired. I'm sure there are enough lawyers on this bulletin board who can give you example after example of employees that clients wish to fire but, for whatever reason, are never fired.

I would put this next part in all caps for emphasis but b/c I'm wounded at the accusation of being a conspiracy theorist I will only say (and hope that you actually read my words) that I do hope that that is not the case with AC and I do hope that you are correct that she was not fired b/c they determined she did nothing wrong.

I can see salcedo asking Cromwell to admit and roster the girl as a favor. Maybe there was something in it for the w soccer program which isn’t illegal. Unethical yes.
maybe there was something in it for Cromwell. That would be illegal. Maybe she turned it down. Or took it and got off by giving dirt on salcedo. That’s what no one knows and is fuzzy. The rest are proven facts.

but she vouched for the kid and rostered her as a player. It’s unethical. If an administrator asked her to do it or pressured her then I’d cut her some slack but we don’t know that. W

we know Cromwell admitted and rostered a kid who didn’t deserve it. Arrested or not, fired or not, it’s unethical. She’s a good coach and the school and players like her and has had success at all her stops. Does that outweigh what she did? Apparently so.

I can see salcedo asking Cromwell to admit and roster the girl as a favor. Maybe there was something in it for the w soccer program which isn’t illegal. Unethical yes.
maybe there was something in it for Cromwell. That would be illegal. Maybe she turned it down. Or took it and got off by giving dirt on salcedo. That’s what no one knows and is fuzzy. The rest are proven facts.

but she vouched for the kid and rostered her as a player. It’s unethical. If an administrator asked her to do it or pressured her then I’d cut her some slack but we don’t know that. W

we know Cromwell admitted and rostered a kid who didn’t deserve it. Arrested or not, fired or not, it’s unethical. She’s a good coach and the school and players like her and has had success at all her stops. Does that outweigh what she did? Apparently so.

In my experience, every college soccer team has a few walkons that try to make the roster even though they were not recruited. Some of them make it, most of them don't, or they are relegated to a roster spot that only allows them to practice with the team and sit on the bench in home non-conference games., never actually getting into a game. She could have been lost in the group of those non-playing players.

There’s no such designation on the official ncaa roster. If a coach wants to tell someone they aren’t ever going to play and can come sit on the bench for home games they are official rostered players. She was on the official ncaa roster for UCLA. UCLA soccer got her into school, set up her rooming as an athlete (she roomed with another w soccer player). She didn’t simply decide to try out after a long club career and getting admitted to UCLA on her own. Amanda signed for her as a special admit for w soccer and rostered her on the team.

It’s been a couple days now that Salcedo pled out. Any updates on Cromwell? Is she the only one who has a secret deal with the feds that lets her completely off the hook? Or do you think they’re holding out on an announcement until she helps them bring down the hammer on the IT guy who put Isacksen’s photo on the website?

I do have a question for the conspiracy theorists though. When you all say “time will tell”, how much time are you talking about? How long until we should probably conclude that the most logical conclusion - that she she did not deserve to get fired - is provably the right one? Or do we get to keep making up crazier stuff forever? I feel like I’m getting the hang of these conspiracy theories but I don’t want to break your rules.

It’s been a couple days now that Salcedo pled out. Any updates on Cromwell? Is she the only one who has a secret deal with the feds that lets her completely off the hook? Or do you think they’re holding out on an announcement until she helps them bring down the hammer on the IT guy who put Isacksen’s photo on the website?

I do have a question for the conspiracy theorists though. When you all say “time will tell”, how much time are you talking about? How long until we should probably conclude that the most logical conclusion - that she she did not deserve to get fired - is provably the right one? Or do we get to keep making up crazier stuff forever? I feel like I’m getting the hang of these conspiracy theories but I don’t want to break your rules.
Not watching it that closely. Nor do I think I get to find out.

Maybe she cut a deal. Maybe there is a lack of evidence. Maybe there is nothing worthy of the prosecutor's time. Maybe the announcement comes next week.

All I can say is I don't know, and I don't get to know.

(Just don't give me some bogus argument about how you "PROVED" it. )

Not watching it that closely. Nor do I think I get to find out.

Maybe she cut a deal. Maybe there is a lack of evidence. Maybe there is nothing worthy of the prosecutor's time. Maybe the announcement comes next week.

All I can say is I don't know, and I don't get to know.

(Just don't give me some bogus argument about how you "PROVED" it. )

Sorry about the typo. I meant “probably”, but neither facts nor rational thought seem to matter much here, so whatever.

Sorry about the typo. I meant “probably”, but neither facts nor rational thought seem to matter much here, so whatever.

You are probably right but there is a big chasm between "probably" and "certainly" unless/until all information is disclosed. But as @dad4 says, we don't know and we don't get to know. And I'll add, unless they choose to share. Here's the difference between us on this: I'm comfortable that a very logical conclusion may be there wasn't enough for the feds to prosecute and for ucla to fire. That may even be the most logical. But I know a little bit about how criminal investigations/prosecutions work and I know a fair amount more about employment hiring and firing decisions so I do know that feds may choose not to prosecute for various reasons independent of absolute guilt or innocence and I know a lot of employers that choose not to fire despite knowing that an employee has committed infractions. But - and please read this carefully - I don't know what happened, don't necessarily think that that happened and don't want any of that to have happened. But I'm not a child so I know that I want is not always the way things are and I also know that, even if it turns out I'm correct, it's never a good approach to be so certain about things when I don't have full and complete knowledge.

And still you don't address the pink elephant in the corner. How does a player get listed on the roster with a fake profile?

You are probably right but there is a big chasm between "probably" and "certainly" unless/until all information is disclosed. But as @dad4 says, we don't know and we don't get to know. And I'll add, unless they choose to share. Here's the difference between us on this: I'm comfortable that a very logical conclusion may be there wasn't enough for the feds to prosecute and for ucla to fire. That may even be the most logical. But I know a little bit about how criminal investigations/prosecutions work and I know a fair amount more about employment hiring and firing decisions so I do know that feds may choose not to prosecute for various reasons independent of absolute guilt or innocence and I know a lot of employers that choose not to fire despite knowing that an employee has committed infractions. But - and please read this carefully - I don't know what happened, don't necessarily think that that happened and don't want any of that to have happened. But I'm not a child so I know that I want is not always the way things are and I also know that, even if it turns out I'm correct, it's never a good approach to be so certain about things when I don't have full and complete knowledge.

And still you don't address the pink elephant in the corner. How does a player get listed on the roster with a fake profile?
Excellent points sir. I watched Smokey and The Bandit and Cledus was just a real nice guy and had bandits back and keeping them Smokeys off his ass. Carrie was my first actress I liked as a kid. I'm just only curious how the pink Ele in the corner.

UCLA does not get to “choose to share”. California law is very specific with respect to what a school may and may not discuss with respect to both student and employee investigations. I went over this a year ago when “taxpayers” first started clambering that they employ Cromwell and were therefore entitled to know what is going on. I can also tell with absolute certainty that you know enough about criminal prosecutions and employment decisions to be embarrassing yourself without knowing it. A few more episodes of the Office and Law and Order might be in order.

I don’t need to know how she got listed on the website, because I know the reason was insufficient to justify Cromwell’s termination. It was sufficient to justify Salcedo’s though. I know that because that is what happened. Regardless, I already told you why it happened. Just because you don’t like the answer, it is not my problem.

I can also tell with absolute certainty that you know enough about criminal prosecutions and employment decisions to be embarrassing yourself without knowing it. A few more episodes of the Office and Law and Order might be in order.

Winner! You got it, EOTL. You know everything about me and these two sentences show it.

(also, lawyers are taught to read carefully. All those cases they have to read in law school, right? I know you know b/c you are clearly an attorney. But you may have missed the part when I have said - a few times but buried in some of the comments - that I'd like your version to be right. So even though you have already told me why it happened - and, I know. I should accept it as conclusive fact. I mean, you did use "duh" twice and that's usually reserved for really important, mic-dropping points - and even though I have told you I hope you are right, somehow you are concluding that I don't like the answer. I like the answer. I really like the answer. But L&O is on - it's always on, I think - so I'm dropping this for a while to continue my legal training)

Be careful what you say. Some people here get very upset when you don’t accuse Cromwell of being part of a CONSPIRACY that included not only Singer BUT ALSO Dan Guerrero and the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT itself.

It makes no SENSE that Cromwell didn’t do anything to merit termination because HOW CAN YOU HAVE A CONSPIRACY if she actually got fired, and then what would we have to SPECULATE about? In other words, the FACT that SHE did NOT get FIRED is PROOF that SHE deserved TO get FIRED.
LOL, being a dirt bag is not a crime. Wire Fraud, racketeering, and conspiracy to defraud the US are.

Winner! You got it, EOTL. You know everything about me and these two sentences show it.

(also, lawyers are taught to read carefully. All those cases they have to read in law school, right? I know you know b/c you are clearly an attorney. But you may have missed the part when I have said - a few times but buried in some of the comments - that I'd like your version to be right. So even though you have already told me why it happened - and, I know. I should accept it as conclusive fact. I mean, you did use "duh" twice and that's usually reserved for really important, mic-dropping points - and even though I have told you I hope you are right, somehow you are concluding that I don't like the answer. I like the answer. I really like the answer. But L&O is on - it's always on, I think - so I'm dropping this for a while to continue my legal training)
I think coach dad is attorney snowman...... That's a 10/4 good buddy. Good job :) I never watched law & order. Hey coach dad, why do you even care about all this? Most of us are just asking a elephant in the room question. Peak a boo......lol!

I think coach dad is attorney snowman...... That's a 10/4 good buddy. Good job :) I never watched law & order. Hey coach dad, why do you even care about all this? Most of us are just asking a elephant in the room question. Peak a boo......lol!

Why do I care? Just make up a conspiracy theory. That’s the game we’re playing right?

per LA Times..."students admitted through UCLA’s process for athletes are required to be “athletically qualified” and play on the team for at least the first year in school"

"One of the students, Lauren Isackson, who had not played competitive soccer in high school, was listed on the 2017 women’s soccer roster. She never played in a game. "
We know that Ms. Isackson was placed on the roster. We know she was not "athletically qualified". If the LA Times is correct, this is one known case of a requirement being broken.

Did Ms Isackson play on the team for at least the first year in school? If not, this would be another case of a requirement being broken.

I did notice that Ms. Isackson was not included in the team photograph. Does anyone know if she ever participated in practice?

Back