College Dorms

Eagle33

GOLD
My kid, who is currently attending out of State college, was on Spring Break last week. Due to recent developments, his school told all students to stay on break another week and now they telling them to go home, but nobody knows the time frame (his semester is done on May 1st). Since he is quite far away from home (Southeast), they allowing him to stay on campus for time being. There are few kids in similar situation, including international students. I think for him to be on campus is probably the safest option right now, since very few students there as well as staff. Food and all necessities will be provided for those who on campus. Or should I just bring him home?

jpeter

PREMIER
My kid, who is currently attending out of State college, was on Spring Break last week. Due to recent developments, his school told all students to stay on break another week and now they telling them to go home, but nobody knows the time frame (his semester is done on May 1st). Since he is quite far away from home (Southeast), they allowing him to stay on campus for time being. There are few kids in similar situation, including international students. I think for him to be on campus is probably the safest option right now, since very few students there as well as staff. Food and all necessities will be provided for those who on campus. Or should I just bring him home?
We have friends of our daughter with similar situations and they all brought their kids home. With less than a month away after a possible restart or end of sessions, online will have to due.

Some drove up, others sent train & plane tickets. Either way they thought it was best to get there young adults back in a controlled environment where they could have more support, better food, and friends & family around. Pretty lonely, feel like there left behind somewhat for the ones still remaining is the vibe.

By "bring him home" do you mean stuff him in an air-sealed container for several hours with 250 people of unknown health conditions?

Eagle33

GOLD
By "bring him home" do you mean stuff him in an air-sealed container for several hours with 250 people of unknown health conditions?
That's my dilemma. I think in current situation it's better for him to stay where he is at.

Eagle33

GOLD
How far away? Can you drive in a few days to pick him up? Can you rent him a car to let him drive home?
Maybe even buy a car where he is at. Drive it home. Then sell it.
Simple.....college meanwhile is still ongoing, in this case online

watfly

GOLD
If your that concerned about flying, I would consult with your health care professionals. I wouldn't take advice from forum posters including myself (or for that matter the opinions of bloggers, graphics experts, politicians, pundits, somebody's friend of friend in Germany...or whatever non-medical links everyone has posted here) . What does your son want to do?

Personally, if it where my kids, I would fly them back ASAP before domestic travel is suspended. I personally would not be so concerned about their health safety but more concerned about their overall well being. My kids would feel much more comfortable at home.

Like I said before, I think its dangerous to follow the lead of your neighbors (ie hoarding). I think its best to do what you are personally comfortable with based on the advice from medical professionals.

Eagle33

GOLD
If your that concerned about flying, I would consult with your health care professionals. I wouldn't take advice from forum posters including myself (or for that matter the opinions of bloggers, graphics experts, politicians, pundits, somebody's friend of friend in Germany...or whatever non-medical links everyone has posted here) . What does your son want to do?

Personally, if it where my kids, I would fly them back ASAP before domestic travel is suspended. I personally would not be so concerned about their health safety but more concerned about their overall well being. My kids would feel much more comfortable at home.

Like I said before, I think its dangerous to follow the lead of your neighbors (ie hoarding). I think its best to do what you are personally comfortable with based on the advice from medical professionals.
My son wants to come home and I'm just trying to figure out the safest way to do so with minimal risk to everyone involved.

outside!

PREMIER
My son wants to come home and I'm just trying to figure out the safest way to do so with minimal risk to everyone involved.
My gut feel is the safest option would be to minimize contacts with people. Even though it would take longer, driving would put you in contact with many less people that flying or taking a train or bus. Road Trip!

In all seriousness, good luck to you and your son.

My gut feel is the safest option would be to minimize contacts with people. Even though it would take longer, driving would put you in contact with many less people that flying or taking a train or bus. Road Trip!

I took a road trip Feb 22-29 to visit my kids in Sacramento. Other than them and a couple of their friends, I had close interaction with almost no one - just a couple of sales clerks at hardware stores and a waitress at Denny's in Bakersfield. The gas pumps are self-service and the highway rest stops were pretty much deserted in the middle of the night.

That's my dilemma. I think in current situation it's better for him to stay where he is at.
Same situation. I flew my dd home Sunday night. She said she was probably the safest on the plane since they clean planes between flights and there was only a handful of people on both of her flights. She said the nearest person was probably 20 rows from her. I guess at some point we will need to go back and clean out her dorm room so they can use it next year.

outside!

PREMIER
Same situation. I flew my dd home Sunday night. She said she was probably the safest on the plane since they clean planes between flights and there was only a handful of people on both of her flights. She said the nearest person was probably 20 rows from her. I guess at some point we will need to go back and clean out her dorm room so they can use it next year.
I hadn't thought of that. I was envisioning normal air travel when the planes are full. Planes may be fuller however as airlines no longer have to fly empty routes to maintain airport gate privileges.

Frank

SILVER ELITE
I flew to Portland and drove my son home this weekend. He packed all of his stuff up and checked out of the dorm. His school said if you did that you would get a refund for room and board. We could have left stuff and gone back alter, however no refund would be provided.

Surf Zombie

SILVER ELITE

Respectfully, I’ve got to disagree with you on this one. Put him on a plane. Wear a respirator if it makes you feel better. Don’t touch anything at the airport and wash your hands. Be home in 8 hours.

Driving from the south east to CA, you’ve got a few days of a rental car, hotels, gas stations and fast food where you are coming into contact with a lot of people, plus sleeping on pillows that probably haven’t been washed.

Neither is very appealing at the moment, but I’d opt for the flight,

fly him home - he'll be fine. stay 6ft away from people in the airport; wash your hands after going through security; wipe the seat, tray table, armrests and seatbelt with antiseptic wipes, don't touch face during the flight, wash hands immediately after the flight; try to avoid using the bathroom on the plane. and he'll be fine. also take a long hot soapy shower when home and wash the clothes. i'm hearing flights are 50% full if that right now so should be able to sit with at least one seat spaced from someone else. mask unnecessary if you do the above. my events keep getting cancelled so I'm cancelling my domestic flights but i'd have no problem flying right now, honest.

SC310

BRONZE
Picked up DD on Saturday up North. Today got message informing of shelter in place for the county. School operations are severely limited. Dining hall is take out only, bookstore closed, libraries closed, no soccer, etc. Students encouraged to finish spring at home. Have to go back up in a couple weeks and move her out. Stay healthy everyone.

Overtime

SILVER
Daughter is in Boston and we are flying her home Friday. The university originally allowed students to stay in dorms but just mandated all students leave by Sunday and all belongings have to be removed.

I flew my college kid home from the east coast on Sunday. It was stressful but we are all very happy to have him home. He had a row of seats to himself. He came home with the vitamin C and zinc I sent him unopened, so it’s good to have him home to help make sure he is getting sleep and nourishment to stay healthy. The college student lifestyle (late nights, alcohol, close quarters) is not good if there is a local outbreak. Safe travels to your kid.