Coaching Changes 2022

Didn't she play at Santa Clara?

Edit... Oh, you meant she played at MVLA. My bad. I misunderstood.

I don't know if she played at MVLA but she coached there (not sure if she was presently coaching but I know she did when my kid was wrapping her her time playing against them).

LMU made a big hire. They got the CAL state LA men’s coach who just won the national title! Proven winner, wow.

WCC loaded with great coaches now.
LMU is going to be the best turn around college soccer team in 2022, moo! I hear nothing but amazing things about the school and the location is amazing. My dd has some old teammates playing their and they got nothing but greatness ahead of them. Good luck Lady Lions :)

LMU made a big hire. They got the CAL state LA men’s coach who just won the national title! Proven winner, wow.

WCC loaded with great coaches now.

I dunno after 18 seasons have to wonder if salary was a big factor for Chamides going to LMU?

He was the best recruiter in D2 no doubt, his teams where stacked with European recruits from Spain, Sweden, Norwegian countries, Finland, etc. Being a international scout for MLS and others helped a bunch. Wonder if he's going to continue in that roll or doesn't need to anymore with the LMU salary.

Look for a lot of new imported players for LMU if he keeps up the same MOU.

Surprised UCLA selected a coach with no head coaching experience at the college level.

Compared to AC or previous coaches who all had better pedigrees or previous head coaching experience prior.
Sometimes that’s the best thing for a program. She’s been a high level assistant for a long time and is a good recruiter. My DD has a lot of respect for her based on their conversations over the summer.

LMU coach will certainly hit the transfer portal big time. I expect them to have a turnaround like SMC.

Pre season projections for next year:

1) Pepperdine
2) BYU
3) Santa Clara
4) SMC
5) Gonzaga
6) LMU
7)Portland
8) USF
9) Pacific-
10) USD - coach going to be fired soon

Surprised UCLA selected a coach with no head coaching experience at the college level.

Compared to AC or previous coaches who all had better pedigrees or previous head coaching experience prior.
I would say she has a pretty good pedigree -- Played and coached at one of the top youth clubs in the country, played for a top college program, coached at a top program. Mentors Albertin Montoya, Paul Radcliffe, John Smith; not a bad list of coaches to have as references

LMU coach will certainly hit the transfer portal big time. I expect them to have a turnaround like SMC.

Pre season projections for next year:

1) Pepperdine( not a chance lost 8-9 key players)
2) BYU ( loses a few elite key players including a 27 year old )
3) Santa Clara(loses two elite players at least)
4) SMC
5) Gonzaga
6) LMU. laughable
7)Portland
8) USF
9) Pacific-
10) USD - coach going to be fired soon
Conference is wide open next year. The talent delta has shrank considerably with elite players leaving..

Conference is wide open next year. The talent delta has shrank considerably with elite players leaving..

It will be the same suspects at the top, Let's not pretend it will be any different. It's wide open maybe for the top 4 teams but it's likely the conference will only send top teams to the tourney this year.

The question will be will SMC be able to break into the top 3.

USC has hired McAlpine's replacement

Interesting that USC went with Alukonis, who was only in her second year as a full assistant coach on Cromwell's staff, when UCLA apparently passed her over for Aozasa, who also lacks HC experience and was a Pac-12 assistant previously.

And how does Sam Greene fit into the UCLA puzzle or where does she land?

She went with Cromwell to be an assistant coach with the Orlando Pride

Interesting that USC went with Alukonis, who was only in her second year as a full assistant coach on Cromwell's staff, when UCLA apparently passed her over for Aozasa, who also lacks HC experience and was a Pac-12 assistant previously.
I was thinking the same thing!

I think UCLA wanted a clean slate. New AD who probably wanted nothing to do with the college admissions scandal stain. Cromwell and Sam Greene were on that staff when the non-player was rostered. Cromwell was in the last year of her contract. I believe she knew she had to go. Sam was not going to get the gig, although I believe she wanted it.

MA, who UCLA hired had seven years at Stanford as an assistant. She has a lot more experience than JA, who USC hired, so it is not surprising that UCLA went with MA. I hope they both do well.

Back