Coaches - What do you look for?

Agressiveness can be taught but takes some time to develop...it is 100% mental....

Not sure about that. It is mental but its much more deep rooted. Its part of the makeup of the player. Yes, it can be increased but its not natural for passive person to become aggressive, just because its required in the game. And the biggest issue for making someone aggressive, when they are not naturally, is the hesitation. Hesitation can play havoc by delaying timing of what happens and it can lead to more injuries as well as not being effective and being late. It only takes a fraction of a second but you can see it on the field.

Also, keep in mind that playing agressively takes a lot of energy. That one agressive scrum to win back the ball may sap a player's energy where they can't make a good offensive run for the next five minutes.

That's a problem. Need more conditioning and clearly, the players that can do both will be chosen over a player that cannot. This can be worked on and is straight forward, unlike aggressiveness.

Reactions: Q10
Is someone asking coaches to be honest on a public talk forum > NO WAY! At the higher level of play they will look for a good player (plenty of good players in So Ca) with acceptable skills, high work rate and parents willing to shell out the cash to chase the large tournaments and out of town league play.

Not sure about that. It is mental but its much more deep rooted. Its part of the makeup of the player. Yes, it can be increased but its not natural for passive person to become aggressive, just because its required in the game. And the biggest issue for making someone aggressive, when they are not naturally, is the hesitation. Hesitation can play havoc by delaying timing of what happens and it can lead to more injuries as well as not being effective and being late. It only takes a fraction of a second but you can see it on the field.
Agreed...not natural for everybody but can be cultivated over time (like, years). But lack of aggression should not be confused with being hesitant. You can have a naturally aggressive player that hesitates (because they may not read the game as quickly as others) and you can have a soft non-aggressive player always be the fastest to act on a play because they read/anticipate the game so well (they just won't go in for that hard tackle).

That's a problem. Need more conditioning and clearly, the players that can do both will be chosen over a player that cannot. This can be worked on and is straight forward, unlike aggressiveness.
I brought up the point about energy and aggressiveness since I see parents screaming at kids to run when its deep into the second half and the kids are just flat out gassed. Makes me want to see parents get onto a field and play 90 minutes so that I scream at them when their legs feel like rubber.

Perhaps its because what they are looking for different things, just as all college ID camps are mostly scrimmages. When kids are U-little, they are looking for skill levels more than anything. When they reach U13+ they are looking for soccer IQ, creativity and yes, aggressiveness and how dominant can the player be on the field. Skills and techniques are compulsory at these ages. The level of competencies will play a part in players ability to perform in scrimmages.

Let me just clarify, when I said "Flash-forward 4-5 years", I wasn't comparing a U-little try-out from 5 years ago with an olders try-out of today. I was comparing apples to apples of how I saw try-outs in the same age group from 5-7 years ago and then today in that age group. My observation wasn't just based off following my own child going up the ranks.

Also even though theoretically skills and technique should be compulsory at U13+, you know that's often not the case. Man-childs and other big kids are able to get away with sloppy technique and relatively poor decision making because of their size, especially in a try-out situation. When you throw a bunch of kids together who have never played with each other, it's not easy to judge decision making, off the ball movement and other aspects of game IQ. Having that "first to the ball" mentality is great, but it's also important what they do with the ball afterwards and so on.

The beauty of that complex station drill at the Surf try-out from 6-7 years is that drill would be useful from ages U8 to U15, not just U-littles. That drill was fantastic for identifying intelligent players. Interview any coach who had a former player go professional and then ask him what quality stuck out the most. 9 times out of 10, they'll say his "game intelligence" and/or "work ethic". We have to do a better job at identifying smart players and nurturing them in the early stages and utilizing them even though they still may be rough around the edges. Can't keep dumping them to "B" and "C" teams where they get churned out prematurely.

Dealing with large try-outs is never easy for coaches and no system is perfect. But I think there is a much better way to do it then they are right now. IMO, Surf had it right 6-7 years ago. It's a shame they and other clubs went away from that.

Agreed...not natural for everybody but can be cultivated over time (like, years). But lack of aggression should not be confused with being hesitant. You can have a naturally aggressive player that hesitates (because they may not read the game as quickly as others) and you can have a soft non-aggressive player always be the fastest to act on a play because they read/anticipate the game so well (they just won't go in for that hard tackle).

I brought up the point about energy and aggressiveness since I see parents screaming at kids to run when its deep into the second half and the kids are just flat out gassed. Makes me want to see parents get onto a field and play 90 minutes so that I scream at them when their legs feel like rubber.

Your right. I wasn't equating lack of aggressiveness to hesitation. I should have said often, when non-agressive player is forced to be aggressive, there is a bit of holding back initially for challenges. Nothing to do with how well any player (aggressive or not) can read and anticipate the game.

On the other point, what you say is exactly the reason kids don't listen to their parents during the game. They know that the parents cannot do what they are doing (most of them anyway...). It just pisses them off so its a lose-lose for parents to scream from the sideline.

Let me just clarify, when I said "Flash-forward 4-5 years", I wasn't comparing a U-little try-out from 5 years ago with an olders try-out of today. I was comparing apples to apples of how I saw try-outs in the same age group from 5-7 years ago and then today in that age group. My observation wasn't just based off following my own child going up the ranks....

Thanks for clarifying. My bad....

I didn't interpret that that's what you'd meant.

I am a coach but am exclusively in the U littles. I seem to be able to reach them for some reason and have had some success teaching kids how to play properly and learn the game so I have stayed there. Too be honest, speed, skill, etc are all great. Every coach looks for all of those things. Those kids will stand out and get chosen first. For me, after the couple obvious ones, I do it a little differently with the little ones. The difference many times after the couple studs in negligible. My next look is body language. Are they attentive? Do they look at me if I am speaking to them? Do they try to do whatever I asked them? If there is a line with all of the kids do they pay attention to what the others are doing or just talk in line? Seems arbitrary but I think it speaks volumes about the coachability of the kid. Most of all, I want kids that are coachable. I have passed on numerous kids over the years because of this because I think it is the most valuable trait of all.

...The beauty of that complex station drill at the Surf try-out from 6-7 years is that drill would be useful from ages U8 to U15, not just U-littles. That drill was fantastic for identifying intelligent players...

Sounds cool. I would love to hear more details about this. Can you describe it?

My kid has tons of 1 and 3, but what is the best way to improve #2, aggressiveness? I see it in spurts, but not all the time. What is weird is she is super aggressive when playing keeper, but not in the field.
I agree with those that say its hard to teach/coach. I have this issue with one of my kids. She will kill her older brother when they play together, but on the field with other girls her age she's more "respectful". As I tell coaches (and parents) when I referee, soccer is a contact sport, and the best players don't fear contact, but more often thrive on it. They want the ball, they want engagement, they want to be the center of attention, they don't back down. That's what I refer to as aggressiveness.

As for tryouts, I agree as a coach that it is a mess. Retention and loyalty are important to teams and clubs, especially when players have siblings and friend within the club. "Sorry Mrs. Jones, your son Jimmy is just a tad subpar, but I hear coach John really wants your daughter Jane to stay with his team, as she's such a great player..." This makes it harder for coaches, when a team may need to be split/relegated due to talent coming in, or that needs to be jettisoned. Not fun stuff.

In the end, if development is paramount to winning, you'll keep some less talented players and not ask some betters on. There are always losers. If you have big club, this is easier, as there are 3-5 teams per age, and you can just move players around, collect their money and not tell them Rec is their better option.

Agressiveness can be taught but takes some time to develop...it is 100% mental. I think the only thing that you can do is remind them before the game that it might be the one thing that you want them to work on that day (going in hard, dispossession, etc.).

Nature or nurture? .....Can aggressiveness really be taught?? - Not according to an old chap who's been scouting/coaching top-tier female soccer in Socal for several decades.

Link:http://www.socceramerica.com/article/43695/growing-pains-girls-face-challenge-of-the-commot.html

The "competitive cauldron" employed by Anson Dorrance suggests that aggression can be developed through training. I guess Bobak and Dorrance disagree.

The "competitive cauldron" employed by Anson Dorrance suggests that aggression can be developed through training. I guess Bobak and Dorrance disagree.
Anson experience is based on his college soccer student athletes in which the majority are YNT players who are already aggressive. Bobak's assestment is based on youth players in which he is trying to weed out the the contenders and the pretenders.

That's fair. Reading the article closer, I think both Anson and Bobak are saying that aggression can be developed. But Bobak seems to suggest that there needs to be a fundamental competitiveness in the kid to bring out the aggression.

“Now the ones who have it, I notice what I’m doing is I’m polishing what they have. But if they’re not able to have that aggressiveness, I’m not able to bring it out. I can’t polish something that doesn’t exist. I haven’t seen anything out there to bring it out. I can only keep aggressiveness going in a positive direction in the ones who have it.”

Certainly an interesting article. I think there are kids who always have aggressiveness, sometimes have it, and never have it. I think he is talking about the second category in terms of the players for which he can develop this tendency.

I agree with those that say its hard to teach/coach. I have this issue with one of my kids. She will kill her older brother when they play together, but on the field with other girls her age she's more "respectful". As I tell coaches (and parents) when I referee, soccer is a contact sport, and the best players don't fear contact, but more often thrive on it. They want the ball, they want engagement, they want to be the center of attention, they don't back down. That's what I refer to as aggressiveness.

As for tryouts, I agree as a coach that it is a mess. Retention and loyalty are important to teams and clubs, especially when players have siblings and friend within the club. "Sorry Mrs. Jones, your son Jimmy is just a tad subpar, but I hear coach John really wants your daughter Jane to stay with his team, as she's such a great player..." This makes it harder for coaches, when a team may need to be split/relegated due to talent coming in, or that needs to be jettisoned. Not fun stuff.

In the end, if development is paramount to winning, you'll keep some less talented players and not ask some betters on. There are always losers. If you have big club, this is easier, as there are 3-5 teams per age, and you can just move players around, collect their money and not tell them Rec is their better option.

I think you brought up a key point. A lot of people believe a child has a certain level of aggressiveness, and that doesn't vary across situations. But as you mention, your daughter is aggressive with her older brother but passive with girls her age. My younger daughter varies by situation also. If she is playing with rec players, she is shoving, pushing for the ball, defensively chasing players all the way down the field and stripping them of the ball, literally dribbling "over" players to get the ball into the goal. It got to be too easy for her, so I asked her if she wanted to play competitive. But when I took her to try out for a competitive team, she looked like the least aggressive player imaginable. She watched. She ran next to or behind the dribbling player without touching her, letting her score. I was scratching my head. For the next tryout, I told her she would get a piece of candy every time she touched the ball, and she was still hesitant at first, but by the end she was getting stuck in, dribbling down the field during the scrimmage, shooting, coming in hard for tackles, etc. But next session, she was back to passive again (can only give a little girl so much candy...)

My point is I think sometimes coaches/parents think that what you see is what you get, but it in my experience it is so situational. If I can't predict it, and I'm the parent, I don't think a coach can predict what she will do next. Some kids may get overlooked because they aren't aggressive in every situation, and something as scary as a tryout with kids who are playing at a higher level than they are used to, might make the trait "go dormant." I think it will come out again when she gets comfortable with the higher level of play, but I'll let you know.

Umm... if you read what I said, the average height on the USWNT is between 5'6"-5/8"... (excluding keepers). So yes, on average, they're slightly taller, but we're not talking super tall - either... Not like comparing football or basketball players to normal people. Not a single player over 6ft and you have several very good impact players 5'6 and under. Which again, size should be less important than skill, speed, and IQ.

Tobin Heath: 5'6"
Carly Lloyd: 5'8"
Alex Morgan: 5'7"
Crystal Dunn: 5'1"
Julie Johnston: 5'7"
Ali Long: 5'7"
Mallory Pugh: 5'5"
Kelly O'Hara: 5'5"
Christen Press: 5'7"
Becky Sauerbrunn: 5'7"

Just to name a few...
Abby Wambach: 5'11"

Agressiveness can be taught but takes some time to develop...it is 100% mental. I think the only thing that you can do is remind them before the game that it might be the one thing that you want them to work on that day (going in hard, dispossession, etc.).

Also, keep in mind that playing agressively takes a lot of energy. That one agressive scrum to win back the ball may sap a player's energy where they can't make a good offensive run for the next five minutes.
Aggressiveness is simply a personality trait. I've seen it in top skill players and/or mid level. It is not a bad thing to not be overtly aggressive but maybe the player is better suited for a different position if the player has a unique skill set. Something needs to be a "special". Coach-ability, IQ, Skill, Speed, Aggressiveness and/or tactical awareness. These talents/skills whether stand alone or in combinations need to be celebrated! These are all sets that are stand outs. Also depends on what the team needs within any particular season.....

Aggressiveness is simply a personality trait. I've seen it in top skill players and/or mid level. It is not a bad thing to not be overtly aggressive but maybe the player is better suited for a different position if the player has a unique skill set. Something needs to be a "special". Coach-ability, IQ, Skill, Speed, Aggressiveness and/or tactical awareness. These talents/skills whether stand alone or in combinations need to be celebrated! These are all sets that are stand outs. Also depends on what the team needs within any particular season.....

A player can be aggressive in a skillful, courteous way (going after the ball), or aggressive in a bullying way (knocking your opponent on his ass). Depending on coach, teammates, opponents, and referees, results may vary.

A player can be aggressive in a skillful, courteous way (going after the ball), or aggressive in a bullying way (knocking your opponent on his ass). Depending on coach, teammates, opponents, and referees, results may vary.

Agree - although I think identifying desired aggressiveness is tough - for example, you take a kid who's got great skills, plays aggressive against opponents, and knows better than to take balls away from teammates vs another teammate who is bigger, less skilled, but knocking other kids on their ass, constantly steals the ball away from their own teammates to try to score and impress the coach... Player 1 never even gets to show her aggressiveness because she doesn't stoop to that level and Player 2 makes the team but 2-3 games into the season she's consistently turning the ball over because she won't pass and opponents know to just target her.

Do coaches actually notice that and see the difference to select the "right" player? Or are tryouts intended to just be every boy/girl for himself and soccer IQ goes out the window? Does soccer IQ ever get taken into consideration?

Back