Coaches - What do you look for?

Supermodel56

SILVER ELITE
As tryouts are winding down and many families are trying to sort out where their DD's will be playing, I thought I'd throw this out there and see if we can get some candid feedback... There really are no right/wrong answers as a lot of this is personal preference, but hopefully it will help parents understand the process and that a million things could be going through the coaches' minds rather than just freaking out and second guessing... This is in the context of youngers...

1) What would be the top 3 characteristics you look for in your starting players and team selection? (be as detailed as you like and state your age group)

2) Have you ever put a player on the B team or lower team even though they performed better or are more skilled than some that made the A team - and if so why? (it's okay to be honest)

3) If you had to choose, would you select size & strength or speed, skill, and IQ?

4) Do you simply always start your top players or do you often mix it up to better manage your rotations? (ie, start a couple better players on bench and worse players on field to help maintain steady game play) How do you determine who starts and why does it change sometimes?

5) Are "package deals" common when recruiting and what is your stance? (for example, you want player X, but they won't come unless you also take player Y)

6) When evaluating players, what tends to stand out the most to you?

7) Are there certain types of players that you've found easily get overlooked at least in the beginning ? For example, at first glance, you'll usually place these players on the "B" team side, and then "A" players on the other field... Then over time you'll shift them around.

8) How often have you rejected a player because their parents were overbearing? =)

9) Craziest/most surprising thing you've ever seen happen at tryouts... =)

That's probably plenty of a good start!

All very good questions and certainly many of us parents have had over the year. One coach told us earlier in our DD's soccer years was that he looked for size and speed. She was U11 at the time.

All very good questions and certainly many of us parents have had over the year. One coach told us earlier in our DD's soccer years was that he looked for size and speed. She was U11 at the time.
I recall a discussion with my DDs U11 coach 7 yrs ago. I asked him why the team can't string 5 passes in a row on the ground. His reply, "they are only 10 yrs old". #huh

top 3:
1. Loves and enjoys the game
2. Good work ethic
3. Coachable
Sorry, those just aren't realistic. I would group the top three as:
1. Physical attributes (size, quickness, speed)
2. Technical ability
3. Game awareness and mental attributes (tenacity, decision making, poise, etc.)

For US soccer training centers, one of the attributes they look for is "Influence on the game" (is the player making an impact during the game?). Also, is the player making those around her better?

I recall a discussion with my DDs U11 coach 7 yrs ago. I asked him why the team can't string 5 passes in a row on the ground. His reply, "they are only 10 yrs old". #huh
The real answer as to why they can't string passes together is because he does not know how to teach 10 year olds how to pass. I've seen 8 year olds put together a nice string of passes...a beautiful sight.

Reactions: Q10
Oh and I forgot to add, that while there were many talented girls on that team, we lost just about every game. Lol!

The question is "where are those girls today"? Was it the right call to simply invest in the big and fast girls? Which btw, finding girls that are both big, strong, and fast seems pretty rare... isn't it usually they're big and strong but slower vs smaller/avg height but fast and more skillful? Which would you big or fast?

And yes, I'm totally aware there are exceptions to this where I've seen amazing players who are both, but it's rare to find more than 1-2 of these on the same team... in fact, if you look at the USWNT, most of the players are average height between 5'6-5'8 and lean. maybe if you're fast, strong, taller, and have skills, you end up playing basketball?!? How much do WNBA players make? Hehe

Son went to an age group tryout (age changes) for his club last year where he and his B team teammates kept passing the ball around the befuddled A team players in every drill. That's when we started looking for a new club.

They should look for technical skill and tactical acumen but often it's size and speed which is the only two things they care about. Find a coach that understands. FWIW my two DDs had a good experience with Coach Craig Barclay from England at SD Surf. There are others that are good, and plenty that are bad (they way some rant at kids is insane). Choose wisely.

They should look for technical skill and tactical acumen but often it's size and speed which is the only two things they care about. Find a coach that understands. FWIW my two DDs had a good experience with Coach Craig Barclay from England at SD Surf. There are others that are good, and plenty that are bad (they way some rant at kids is insane). Choose wisely.
Barclay plays a nice brand of controlled soccer. He has done a nice job of developing foot skill as well. Our girls always enjoy playing Surf.

The question is "where are those girls today"? Was it the right call to simply invest in the big and fast girls? Which btw, finding girls that are both big, strong, and fast seems pretty rare... isn't it usually they're big and strong but slower vs smaller/avg height but fast and more skillful? Which would you big or fast?

And yes, I'm totally aware there are exceptions to this where I've seen amazing players who are both, but it's rare to find more than 1-2 of these on the same team... in fact, if you look at the USWNT, most of the players are average height between 5'6-5'8 and lean. maybe if you're fast, strong, taller, and have skills, you end up playing basketball?!? How much do WNBA players make? Hehe
There were some girls on the team that were big, height and stature, and others that were tall and lean. All the girls were fast. Where are they now? Most play on tier one, academy teams or ECNL. A few have already signed with colleges. Lost track of a few. This particular team my DD was on, fell apart at the end of the season. It was good to see many of the girls succeed and find better teams or maybe just a better fit/coach. My DD had some pretty decent coaches and became a much more technical player. This has served her well with some teams and with others, not so much. Her last coach favored the more aggressive players, which my DD can be but she's not going to be charging like a bull down the line all the time. We found a new coach this past season and things have been much better. As of now, she doesn't want to play college but my fingers are crossed!

They should look for technical skill and tactical acumen but often it's size and speed which is the only two things they care about. Find a coach that understands. ... Choose wisely.

Could not agree more. Problem is that tactical acumen is hard to see in tryouts. I think this is something that can only be seen with more time than coaches have during a tryout. But IMHO having players with good tactical IQ matters a lot to a team's ultimate success.

I'm curious if coaches are solely thinking about this upcoming season or for longer term - in other words, would they take a player they know has more potential and will be great for this club in a year or are most just thinking - these are the players who are going to help me win this season.

Um, the average height for American women is not 5'6-5'8"....it's 5'4". Google it!

Son went to an age group tryout (age changes) for his club last year where he and his B team teammates kept passing the ball around the befuddled A team players in every drill. That's when we started looking for a new club.
That is a huge tell, lmao!

Back