Coaches paying for players....not clubs - coaches.

Is it Ok for a Coach to pay for a Players Dues?

• 1. If the player truly needs it? (For instance if the Dad is in Jail)

• 2. Heck yes, we need to win and the coach thinks this player will help us win?

• 3. No, let them apply for financial aid through the club.

• 4. Never.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My sons team was sponsored by one Dad for 8 years.

Actually the entitlement a$hold is the kid that daddy pays for everything and thinks money can buy them whatever they want and means they can play in any team because daddy is paying big bucks. "Don't worry daddy will take care of the issue, let me get my checkbook".

The kid that gets the scholarship is not an issue, it's the parents that tell the kid that he is the best player in the region is the issue.
Don't blame the kids for getting a free ride.

Keep in mind that the scholarship kid is the one that the coach and team puts pressure to score goals or make the team win. If he/she doesn't perform the scholarship will go away.
There is more than 1 path for a person to become an a$$. I am not opposed to kids getting scholarships (although I personally prefer it be needs based); I just don't think a coach need to be paying for it directly.

I think if all the parents came come to an agreement to pay for the kid that is one thing, it is another for the club to mandate it, as I have witnessed.
Good stuff.

Many clubs will just tell coaches not to worry about Player X or if they send a spreadsheet they wont be listed or show player as paid. Clubs dont "mandate", its just taken care of on the financial end - however they manage their books. In many places clubs fund-raise just about all their dues.

Actually the entitlement a$hold is the kid that daddy pays for everything and thinks money can buy them whatever they want and means they can play in any team because daddy is paying big bucks. "Don't worry daddy will take care of the issue, let me get my checkbook".

The kid that gets the scholarship is not an issue, it's the parents that tell the kid that he is the best player in the region is the issue.
Don't blame the kids for getting a free ride.

Keep in mind that the scholarship kid is the one that the coach and team puts pressure to score goals or make the team win. If he/she doesn't perform the scholarship will go away.

Entitled kids come from all walks of life. Although, in my experience the entitled attitude kids from wealthy families far outweigh the kids who come from poorer families - at least in the club setting. That falls on parenting or whomever is raising the kid. 95% of the people i know who get some form of help are grateful. Just those 5% are noticeable because the negative ones stick out.

FYI many clubs is giving coaches to budget their teams. For example on 11v11 team, normally to make a budget and to get pay, coach must have 14 or 15 fully paid players on the roster. The other 3-4 (or more, since some have 22 players) is up to the coach. Those 3-4 can be paying players and coach may get extra or they don't. On the other hand coach is free to have less than 14-15 players and get less accordingly.
Either way, why would anyone care what coaches do or don't do? If a coach wants to get less and get that player he/she wants, what's wrong with that?

Entitled kids come from all walks of life. Although, in my experience the entitled attitude kids from wealthy families far outweigh the kids who come from poorer families - at least in the club setting. That falls on parenting or whomever is raising the kid. 95% of the people i know who get some form of help are grateful. Just those 5% are noticeable because the negative ones stick out.
Entitled kids come from entitled parents.

FYI many clubs is giving coaches to budget their teams. For example on 11v11 team, normally to make a budget and to get pay, coach must have 14 or 15 fully paid players on the roster. The other 3-4 (or more, since some have 22 players) is up to the coach. Those 3-4 can be paying players and coach may get extra or they don't. On the other hand coach is free to have less than 14-15 players and get less accordingly.
Either way, why would anyone care what coaches do or don't do? If a coach wants to get less and get that player he/she wants, what's wrong with that?
This. Coaches have budgets - down to budget for equipment.

Looks like the consesous is that is OK for need based kids. Not at all for pay to help win kids.

Thanks for the good back and forth!

I have another topic that I will start, on another subject to get some more positive dilouge going.

I think this should be handled through the club. Having the coach pay could set up a power dynamic that leads to bad things. Club oversight is better.

Looks like the consesous is that is OK for need based kids. Not at all for pay to help win kids.

Thanks for the good back and forth!

I have another topic that I will start, on another subject to get some more positive dilouge going.

"Looks like" to whom?

The Fact that Coaches Pay for Player's fees is a nice gesture, that we all should appreciate. Talented players or low-income families deserve that kind of support. Remember that all soccer clubs are "non-profit organizations", they should have room on their roster for said players without hurting the overall budget. Since they are getting money from outside organizations to cover club expenses or low-income players. That is the main reason of being nonprofit, right?
There is a fine line in regards supporting players for their success and "false support" to players in pro of the team reputation and therefore, the coach. I personally know a case where not only the 12-year-old player is sponsored, also the dad of said player is getting a monthly fee from the coach, just to retain this player in the team. Some coaches need badly talented players to claim a status in this industry. That is ______ (you put the adjective to describe this.)

Im not a soccer coach at all but I understand the pressure of putting together a winning team for job security.

If it costs me $3k (that im able to write off as a donation) to bring a STUD on board to make sure ill have a job next season that pays $60k,why wouldn't I?
I agree in concept. In real life, though, I have never heard of a coach who makes $60,000 per year for a single team. With very rare exceptions, club coaches make somewhere between $600 -$1100 per month per team, if they are paid at all, and most don't get paid for months when the club is dark. So shelling out $3,000 for a kid means losing between 20% and 50% of that coach's annual pay. Plus, the $3,000 paid out is not tax deductible.

I agree in concept. In real life, though, I have never heard of a coach who makes $60,000 per year for a single team. With very rare exceptions, club coaches make somewhere between $600 -$1100 per month per team, if they are paid at all, and most don't get paid for months when the club is dark. So shelling out $3,000 for a kid means losing between 20% and 50% of that coach's annual pay. Plus, the $3,000 paid out is not tax deductible.

Coach's at large clubs have multiple teams.
Coaches are also independent contractors.
Most clubs pay their coaches under 1099-MISC. You can write the $3k off as an expense on a schedule C......

Correct me if I'm wrong. I know this is fact out of state. California, maybe different?

Back