Coaches paying for players....not clubs - coaches.

Is it Ok for a Coach to pay for a Players Dues?

• 1. If the player truly needs it? (For instance if the Dad is in Jail)

• 2. Heck yes, we need to win and the coach thinks this player will help us win?

• 3. No, let them apply for financial aid through the club.

• 4. Never.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I haven't been this situation, but I know if I was paying and the coach was paying for another kid and that kid started in front of mine that would be a problem.
Many coaches egos are off the chart.
Not to stir the pot, but how do families at your club feel when girls from Texas fly in for Surf Cup? I asume if this has stopped happening, you’ve heard about it.

How would someone find out if a coach is paying for a kid to play?
That must be a fun sideline to be on. Everyone talking about other kids behind each other’s backs until someone finally says “I heard coach Juergen is paying for Tyler to play this year. I don’t even think he is THAT good. Why am I paying $3k a year for that Tyler kid to play the “good” positions?”
From the manager who often only volunteers so they can be in the know about at the gossip.

How about the parents ego?

If the kids better then yours, they deserve to start regardless of where the moneys coming from.
Depends on the age. Ulittles thsi should never happen unless the team needs bodies. And when this does happen you can always show your dissatisfaction by leaving the club. The problem is at the big clubs parents are stuck on their ego and as long as they can say that their kid is on a top team that is good enough for them.

Not to stir the pot, but how do families at your club feel when girls from Texas fly in for Surf Cup? I asume if this has stopped happening, you’ve heard about it.
I think it is horrible, you have a girl that is playing all year with the team and then you fly another kid in a couple times a year to take her spot?
We did have that happen on out team, a girl from another country was on our team and them moved back to her country and them would come back and play is some tournaments, then wanted the team to pay for the player and her family to travel out of state to play. Didn't happen and the parents were not very happy with the in and out bit.

If it takes a free carrot to pull a great player away from another club, who cares......but obviously from some of these knee jerk reactions the family better make sure to keep it confidential.

Do some of you bitch when the team manager gets a discount?

What about “package” deals?
When 3 good friends want to move to a team together. One of them is a star. The other is ok. But the 3rd player should really find a different activity.
But they’re all paying full price. So the coach gets a star and another $9,000 into the budget.

If it takes a free carrot to pull a great player away from another club, who cares......but obviously from some of these knee jerk reactions the family better make sure to keep it confidential.

Do some of you bitch when the team manager gets a discount?
I am all for the team manager getting free dues.
When you start giving out free dues it becomes more about the club and the coach and not the paying players' development.

What about “package” deals?
When 3 good friends want to move to a team together. One of them is a star. The other is ok. But the 3rd player should really find a different activity.
But they’re all paying full price. So the coach gets a star and another $9,000 into the budget.
We all know coaches and clubs take players to help with the budget, that's partially on the parents though, parents almost always think their player is better than they are, but a coach taking them and not letting them know they might not get much playing time is just as much at fault.

What is scary about it?
That is what the Mexican and rec leagues are for.

Right, Hispanic leagues have amazing players that will continue to stay there because they cannot afford club soccer as prices continue to rise. Personally, I know of several families that make good money and are walking away from club sports (not just soccer) because prices are getting out of control. That's what's scary about this trend.

Our pool of talented kids will continue to shrink and our quality for the national teams will get worse. I don't know how many families can afford two kids in club soccer $6k a year or $500 a month plus travel cost.

Right, Hispanic leagues have amazing players that will continue to stay there because they cannot afford club soccer as prices continue to rise. Personally, I know of several families that make good money and are walking away from club sports (not just soccer) because prices are getting out of control. That's what's scary about this trend.

Our pool of talented kids will continue to shrink and our quality for the national teams will get worse. I don't know how many families can afford two kids in club soccer $6k a year or $500 a month plus travel cost.

Right? Think about kids that actually want to play multiple club sports? And then if there are siblings. In other parts of the country, that's a mortgage payment. Or put your kid in a private school instead of paying for club sports.
We have a few that play club volleyball and club soccer. They were just in Vegas this weekend for a volleyball tournament.

Right? Think about kids that actually want to play multiple club sports? And then if there are siblings. In other parts of the country, that's a mortgage payment. Or put your kid in a private school instead of paying for club sports.
We have a few that play club volleyball and club soccer. They were just in Vegas this weekend for a volleyball tournament.
Hope they won.

Don't some or most of the Hispanic kids that make to the national teams do it in their country of origin?

I agree that cost is a problem for accessibility for working class families, particularly at the higher levels of club soccer, but the problem of cost is also overstated. There are plenty of club teams prospering in working class Hispanic neighborhoods. There are lots of smaller clubs out there in the $1000-1500 range (they don't do a ton of tournaments, and they don't do a ton of travel, but they play). And then now there is the AYSO United option. There are also scholarships available out there for kids with talent. Not saying it's not a barrier to entry...but transport is actually a bigger barrier than the fee is.

1. Club gives the coach the green light, go for it. Id be excited if my kid (me) got alittle help financially.
  2. Your fee's are not anything I should be concerned with.
  3. See #2.

I agree that cost is a problem for accessibility for working class families, particularly at the higher levels of club soccer, but the problem of cost is also overstated. And then now there is the AYSO United option. There are also scholarships available out there for kids with talent. Not saying it's not a barrier to entry...but transport is actually a bigger barrier than the fee is.

You are right on! Yes that's the other issue. Some of the kids in our team couldn't stay with their Academy Team due to transportation issues. We are always giving these kids rides to tournaments or even practices because their parents are working on the weekends. A few of us are trying to help raise funds to do some college showcases so these kids have a chance to play in front of college scouts. And that's another money making stream, college showcase fees are very expensive for teams that cannot afford it.

Don't some or most of the Hispanic kids that make to the national teams do it in their country of origin?
Negative! Look at Joe Corona, Agudelo, Greg Garza, Michael Orozco, Alejandro Bedoya, Omar Gonzalez and Paul Arriola. Only the kid that plays in Monterey has been the only one in recent memory that chose Mexico over the US and that has to do with USMNT not qualifying for the WC.

I don't know where do you get your facts to make such a comment??

A coach paying for the dues of a player (Regardless of talent and/or socioeconomical background) is a complete recipe for disaster for the team. And like many people have mention in this thread these are the club hoppers without any kind of loyalty to no one.

Back