Club soccer stuff that drive you nuts...

Hearing all these arguments, I think the the youth soccer club scene is in chaos because clubs try to listen to their customers (parents). I thought coaches are under pressure to win at all costs thus we have stories about kickball, bringing in ineligible guest players, teach players to cheat, poaching players, etc. At the same time, the coaches are accused for taking "bribes" for extra playing time, this contradicts "winning at all costs" because fielding the rich kids that are not qualified will make the team weaker.
Nope, that's not how it works.

If you have a top level winning team parents will find you + many will literally throw cash at coaches for positions, playing time. etc on that team. There's more players looking for a super team to play on than super teams.

It's not just the lower level players offering $$$. Often top level coaches setup an unofficial expectation that all players good or poor need to be floating $$$.

Believe it or not but parents of top talent are just as worried about their kid not being on XYZ super team as the ones that aren't very good.

This is why some coaches have a win at all costs mentality. Wins directly affect their "under the table" pocketbook.

Obviously there are people that go too far for sure....but having a conversation with coach doesn't really mean anything other than someone having a conversation with a coach.
Been talking to my daughters coaches for the past 7 years. After the game on the way to the car (somehow my daughter is always the last one to leave), maybe before a practice. Only keeper on the team during that time. 3 head coaches. Same assistant. Helped fund raise for others on the team, always ahead on payments, our family helped with transportation. Chatting soccer, college, etc. Only thing I ever told the coaches (yes told, not asked), at age 11 (she is now 16) was that I wanted her to take all her goal kicks. Yes she made some mistakes, but her leg and accuracy improved because of this. Didn't always agree with some of the things they said to her, but if she had an issue she could say something.

Face it.

These are the same parents bribing coaches who are sending their kids to private schools who pay for grades with "teachers gifts" and hire out for when SAT's come around. We have created a nasty system that has trickled down into youth sports. $$$$$$ now means opertunity.

I have coached soccer for over 30 years with a fair number of high-level teams included. Many of the families I have coached are wealthy. All parents want their kids to play. I have never - not even once - been offered money or any other form of inducement to give a player more playing time. Many parents have phoned me to talk about how much time their daughters receive, or what they can do better to earn more time. But no parent has ever offered a bribe for any reason.

I have coached soccer for over 30 years with a fair number of high-level teams included. Many of the families I have coached are wealthy. All parents want their kids to play. I have never - not even once - been offered money or any other form of inducement to give a player more playing time. Many parents have phoned me to talk about how much time their daughters receive, or what they can do better to earn more time. But no parent has ever offered a bribe for any reason.
I know of 3 top level youth coaches that don't have your ethics. Operation Varsity Blues just happened at the college level + was directly about bribes and using $$$ to get ahead.

It is what it is. For me we just avoid those kinds of situations. Over time ethics matter.

Great job coach. My wife tried to give a pumpkin pie to one of my dd old Docs and he would not take it. We took up a xmas collection and he would not take it. He wanted nothing that would look bad. I know another Doc that did privates and was 100% Middle Man Max and you best better do his privates to win his approval and recommendations to all the coaches.

I know of 3 top level youth coaches that don't have your ethics. Operation Varsity Blues just happened at the college level + was directly about bribes and using $$$ to get ahead.

It is what it is. For me we just avoid those kinds of situations. Over time ethics matter.

Yes, a non-soccer parent paying $450,000 to someone to get their kid into Yale is definitely proof that rich soccer parents routinely bribe youth soccer coaches and high school teachers. Instead of self-pitying conspiracy theories, maybe consider taking responsibility for the actual reasons your kid is not doing as well as you hoped. It has nothing to do with "rich people", even if that is your go-to excuse for all of your problems. Rich people sometimes bribe people. Poor people also sometimes hold up liquor stores. None of these things in any way show any sort of propensity among rich or poor people to behave improperly.

I have some stories about single moms (and some not-yet single moms) but I am not going to share them here.
Those stories have already been written.

DOCs/Coaches that keep problem kids or families, or dont address the issues enough becuase they are afraid to lose player.
I find that usually when you remove the problem the resulting collapse never happens. In fact, I've seen some teams shine brighter without the player

Pretending DPL is a top tier league; placing DPL teams in the top brackets at competitive tournaments. (exception for SD Force; they should drop DPL, the league is holding them back)

Pretending DPL is a top tier league; placing DPL teams in the top brackets at competitive tournaments. (exception for SD Force; they should drop DPL, the league is holding them back)

SD Force has nowhere to go. SDSC won’t let them into GAL (Force beats them in pretty much every olders age group), and ECNL won’t put a 3rd club in the same 5-mile radius. (They also beat Sharks across the board before the latest push to finally be competitive with MW and shedding all the old Sharks coaches and players.)

SD Force has nowhere to go. SDSC won’t let them into GAL (Force beats them in pretty much every olders age group), and ECNL won’t put a 3rd club in the same 5-mile radius. (They also beat Sharks across the board before the latest push to finally be competitive with MW and shedding all the old Sharks coaches and players.)

They should do like Tudela FC and play their teams up a year in NPL, while pushing to gain access to GA events. They have Tier 1 teams, but are stuck in a Tier 3 league year after year. ECNL should expand another club into the San Diego region. There is plenty of Tier 1 talent in San Diego to fill out another competitive roster.

I have a hard time believing that SDSC has enough reach with GA to keep Force out.

Your comment about not having another ECNL club so close certainly makes intuitive sense, but considering that SDSC is an ECNL member on the boys' side I'm not so sure ECNL is all that concerned about the geography.

I believe last season was SDF's first in DPL. Maybe they wanted to get settled in before moving their top teams up to GA.

Hey who was it around here that recommended the book "Desperate Soccer Moms" by Coach Illingworth? Really great suggestion so thanks. Just finished. The criticism around the "Desperate Soccer Moms" and "Desperate Soccer Dads" is right on. It's a great read.

The funny thing, is, though, that while he recognizes he made some mistakes as a coach, he's kind of oblivious that many of the things he preached in his career are exactly at the heart of what's wrong with coaching in this US including: a) a win at all cost mentality going so far as to recruit starters from Bakersfield to play in San Diego that NEVER practice with the team, b) a focus on recruiting instead of developing the players he had, c) conflicts of interest with parents, and while he doesn't engage in them, relationships by his peers which are wholly inappropriate, d) bullying and abuse of players, e) bullying and abuse of referees (including a minor) e) the development of the old physical and direct soccer US style, and f) while I get play time should be merit based, particularly at the highest and older levels, 0 play time for an 8 year old is wholly in appropriate. The end result is a book that admits he made mistakes because he failed to play politics, and emphasized winning too much, not because of what he did was counterproductive to US soccer and the kids themselves.

At the same time, he deserves a whole lot of credit for building a system in the 80s and 90s when there wasn't a lot around. You get to see in the book why the pay or play system arose and what needs it answered. Part of the problem was that it was also built by English coaches, which at the time England was undergoing its own growing pains (and it's not like the cream of the crop came here). I can't help but think what a different system we would have had those early innovators been Continental European or Mexican, both for the good and bad.

Back