Club registration for the 2021-2022 season

Huttrick3

BRONZE
Finally the league has started, and as much as my son is enjoying playing games again, he's also wanting to tryout for other teams for the 2021-2022 season. However, his current team is asking players to register for the new season, and the contract is valid from March 2021 to February 2022. I am guessing if he doesn't register ASAP, he won't be able to finish playing the current league games, but once he register with his current club, he's tied to this team until next Feb. The contract states no refund unless there is a medical reason.

I am contacting the the club, but I wanted to ask if any of you are experiencing a similar situation. I would also appreciate any advice you may have. Thanks in advance.

If the club cuts your son off from the remainder of this season due to you not signing up yet (wanting to explore other options) for next season, then this is not a club with morals. If you signed a contract with them for the current season, then they owe it to you to finish it out, not retaliate against your son for wanting to explore other options for the next season. You are right to be concerned that they may do this, because such jacka*ses exist in the club scene. But, if they do it to you, then you know you made the right decision to leave. Come on here after it happens and share what club operates this way, as they deserve to be exposed.

Tell them you arent sure what you are doing next season and that covid has you rethinking your priorities. Leave it at that.
If they pressure you and say that they are going to give away your spot, tell them "Cool. If the spot is gone when we have figured out our plans, so be it. We are looking forward to a strong spring season."

I think you should be able to make a decision whether or not the current team your son is on is a good fit or not within a reasonable time frame--meaning after a few games and/or practices. It's unfair to the club, coach, and team if you play out the entire spring season without paying anything and then bail.

If you signed a contract for the 20/21 season, regardless if you sign up for 21/22, your son should be able to finish out the season. Of course, that depends on how bitter the coach/club is and might bench your child but IMO, it's a good teaching opportunity and will show you what club they really are.

Thank you everyone for your response.

My son has been with this team for 1.5 years, but because of the field closures, he hasn't had much time to play with his teammates. The coaches are very professional and fair, and my son respects them very much, and they have a great relationship.

The problem he has with this team is its playstyle. The current coaches took over this team a couple of years ago from its previous coaches, and they've been doing a great job developing the players to play possession soccer during the practice, but the boys tend to go back to the style of play they're used to during games, and they keep sending the ball to the top. This is not the style of soccer my son is used to playing, and it just frustrates him even when the team wins.

The only reason he would stay with this team is because of the coaches, but he wasn't sure if he can play with the current teammates for the next two years until he goes to college. I will encourage my son to have a conversation with his coaches about his concerns, and in the meantime, I will check with the club what we can do with the current situation.

Thank you again for your advice!!

Back