Clip: Trip or Flop

NickName

SILVER ELITE
Typically prefer to post the clips without commentary to keep from coloring the responses.

Disclosure: My kid that went down

High School JV

Result: No Call

We typically talk about the games on the way home, both good and bad and I get honest responses; "trying to draw the foul" or "I had no choice but to try a risky tackle" etc.
In this case he said he had the wind knocked out on the first hit but he was somewhat expecting it. When I asked why so dramatic on the second, he said he wasn't expecting it.

Typically prefer to post the clips without commentary to keep from coloring the responses.

Disclosure: My kid that went down

High School JV

Result: No Call

We typically talk about the games on the way home, both good and bad and I get honest responses; "trying to draw the foul" or "I had no choice but to try a risky tackle" etc.
In this case he said he had the wind knocked out on the first hit but he was somewhat expecting it. When I asked why so dramatic on the second, he said he wasn't expecting it.

Second hit?

There was a trip, there was no flop. I'm not calling anything. Trifling at most, more likely it is just incidental contact after a tackle which does not even go up to the level of trifling.

Your kid "wasn't expecting it" because when you take a shot is probably the 1 time that you completely focus on the ball you are hitting and the goal you are hitting it at. Not to mention you are at you most vulnerable balance-wise right after you take a shot and you are in your follow through. At that point even a 5 year old could knock you over.

It sounds like the defender got a foot in front of the ball. (loud thunk that only a ball kicked from both sides makes). This indicates a fair challenge because there was pretty much only foot on foot contact in the follow through. This is in contrast if the defender lands a shoulder into the attackers shoulder after getting the ball in the same manner. This is most likely careless because it is a lack of attention to the safety of the opponent... even if he gets the ball first.

The best case for a foul in this clip is to say there was a "2nd action". Basically the argument is that the tackle was the 1st action, and then the defender unnecessarily lifted his cleats after the tackle which caused a trip. This 2nd action could be considered a tripping foul. However, considering that the attacker already got the shot off and the fact that the ball is in the keepers hands, the trip had little to no impact to the outcome of the play.Trifling fouls are always technically fouls, they are just fouls that the game does not need.

In the words of the High school Association President in San Diego, "We are here to punish cheaters, if they are not cheating, then your involvement is not really necessary".

Back