CIF State Playoffs

Ok thanks for the replies. I do think it would be more fun just to have all the CIF winners play eaxh other instead

And up until three years ago, all of the Regional championship games were played a Downey High School which has a very nice stadium and field. I liked the central location for the Regional championship game. There were good size crowds, the games were televised on one of the LA stations and streamed, and the atmosphere was made you think that you was really electric. Back then the referees were chosen from a CIF section that had no team in the game. Now the referee team comes from the home team's section, but no one on the referee crew can have officiated either team prior in the season.

Even though my Dd’s team will be playing at home tomorrow, I like the atmosphere you describe. The atmosphere in Corona on Saturday was very good. The facilities were not that great, I was surprised.

I don’t know. Just seems weird that on a fluke a 3rd place team could be state champs when they didn’t even make it to CIF finals.

I agree that the Corona atmosphere was fun and wow what a horrible field

Take a look in detail at the entries for the NCAA soccer tournaments.

I agree that the Corona atmosphere was fun and wow what a horrible field[/QUOTE]

Yes the field was horrible and the scoreboard so bad you could barely read it.

San Diego Section home games tonight --

DI boys - 5 San Clemente at 4 San Marcos
DII boys - 7 Arlington at 2 Torrey Pines
DIII boys - 5 Villa Park at 4 University City and 6 La Quinta at 3 Del Norte

DI girls - 5 Santa Margarita at 4 Eastlake
DIII girls - 6 Mayfair at 3 Our Lady of Peace

San Diego Section Survivors

DII boys - #2 Torrey Pines 3-1 #7 Arlington and #8 Point Loma 3-0 #1 Aliso Niguel
DIII boys - #3 Del Norte 2-0 #6 La Quinta

DIII girls - #3 OLP 2-1 #6 Mayfair

There were some lopsided scores in the girls games, 14-1, 12-0, 10-0, 7-0 (x2), 6-0, 5-0. Those are not scores that you usually see in Regional games. Either the teams losing teams should have been in a lower bracket or the winning teams in a higher bracket.

http://cifstate.org/sports/soccer/SoCal_brkts_2018/index
Sam said she knew it wasn't going to be good from the bus ride up. The girls didn't want the game. She said the second half was better, but being down 4-0 in the first pretty much sealed the deal. JSerra is pretty damn good though.........

Sam said she knew it wasn't going to be good from the bus ride up. The girls didn't want the game. She said the second half was better, but being down 4-0 in the first pretty much sealed the deal. JSerra is pretty damn good though.........

Is she also coaching club? It looks like mine will be coaching G8 and G16 teams. She told me that she talked to you a couple weeks ago during State Cup while I was off diving in the Caribbean.

How about leveling the playing field with private schools? Tighter rules on recruiting and no loophole for scholarshiped players unless public schools have the same rights.

Mine has talked about club. hasn't done anything about it yet. But it seems she has the coaching bug. I hope it's curable.....

Yes, saw your's couple weeks ago and we both cursed you for having so much fun.

How about leveling the playing field with private schools? Tighter rules on recruiting and no loophole for scholarshiped players unless public schools have the same rights.
i don't know anything about that. it's a high school soccer game. some teams are better and some aren't. I don't know why nor do i really care. I know the school my daughter is associated with is very good. just not as good as JSerra

i don't know anything about that. it's a high school soccer game. some teams are better and some aren't. I don't know why nor do i really care. I know the school my daughter is associated with is very good. just not as good as JSerra

Serra is one of the private schools for which DA permits an exemption to the no-high-school rule. Some say that the point of the exemption is to avoid jeopardizing the players' scholarships; others say that there is no such thing as soccer scholarships in local private schools.

Mine has talked about club. hasn't done anything about it yet. But it seems she has the coaching bug. I hope it's curable.....

Yes, saw your's couple weeks ago and we both cursed you for having so much fun.

It only takes a weekend to get the coaches license and I am sure one of the east county clubs would pick her up. My daughter discovered the clubs are looking for young (early/mid 20's) female coaches to coach their younger girls teams. Who knows, our two girls may be coaching against each other and yelling at some refs that we know.

Serra is one of the private schools for which DA permits an exemption to the no-high-school rule. Some say that the point of the exemption is to avoid jeopardizing the players' scholarships; others say that there is no such thing as soccer scholarships in local private schools.

Scholarships are no allowed for high school sports. The correct terminology is financial aid. A friend of ours son played football at a private Catholic HS in San Diego and even though the family made over $250,000 a year he got "financial aid." He ended up playing college football (full scholarship) for Oregon State before blowing his knee out. I also know a couple other girl soccer players who got financial aid to private schools even though the families had really good incomes.

Scholarships are no allowed for high school sports. The correct terminology is financial aid. A friend of ours son played football at a private Catholic HS in San Diego and even though the family made over $250,000 a year he got "financial aid." He ended up playing college football (full scholarship) for Oregon State before blowing his knee out. I also know a couple other girl soccer players who got financial aid to private schools even though the families had really good incomes.

A kid around the corner did not like (or, I should say, his parents did not like) the deal he was offered at a local private school, so the Dad rented a condo in Orange County and "moved" there for a couple of years while the kid was starting quarterback for a private school up there.

No worries, almost all of those girls will be gone June 2019, unless they hold them back.

It only takes a weekend to get the coaches license and I am sure one of the east county clubs would pick her up. My daughter discovered the clubs are looking for young (early/mid 20's) female coaches to coach their younger girls teams. Who knows, our two girls may be coaching against each other and yelling at some refs that we know.
That would be interesting. I told her getting a gig wouldn’t be that tough with all the people I’ve known over the years.

Back