CIF decision

Dubs, I want you to know i appreciate the back and forth and it makes life better and no politics. First of all, no one is right in this debate and that's ok. Each player is different. My dd let her GDA Doc/Coach and ECNL Doc/Coaches know that when she was done playing hs soccer, she would would rest for two weeks. Some Docs, not all, really hate hs soccer. I will not mention names but three of them come to mind and they told my dd hs soccer is dangerous, horrible kickball and basically my dd was too good for all that and if she committed her life full time to soccer and school and more soccer, she could make this and that and do this and that if the hard work and commitment was there. 4 days a week, plus training on the exstra days, games every weekend and 5 showcases a year. My dd did not play full time club soccer by choice. She skipped certain far away showcases. Only full time high school soccer the last two years. My dd is so rested and pain free. She does her one on one privates and then is doing a 6 mile hike once a week and then surfing and beach fun. I say we dont open up soccer until the girls can play a game.
Well, you could've just said that from the beginning... Like you said, it's a personal decision for any DD. My DD did enjoy the team/social aspects of HS soccer, but was extremely frustrated by the gameplay even though she excelled and was all league first team and offensive player of the year both years she played. However, depending on goals, it's not an option for her anymore. She's just looking to stay injury free as she heads into college...that is of course, assuming we have some kind of season HS or ECNL, which is a very big assumption.

Well, you could've just said that from the beginning... Like you said, it's a personal decision for any DD. My DD did enjoy the team/social aspects of HS soccer, but was extremely frustrated by the gameplay even though she excelled and was all league first team and offensive player of the year both years she played. However, depending on goals, it's not an option for her anymore. She's just looking to stay injury free as she heads into college...that is of course, assuming we have some kind of season HS or ECNL, which is a very big assumption.
Cool. I'm sorry if I got triggered by your frustration with hs soccer. My bad. My dd looked at it more like a chess match. The things some girls do to win is insane and I'll leave it at that. Refs need to do a better job of the rough and dirty plays. I'm in agreement with you. If you would have said it was fun for this and that and then mentioned all her frustration together in OP then I would have agreed with you. No harm no foul bro :)

P.S. Dubs. Have you watched a local mid level D1 girls soccer college game up close and personal? Way tougher and rougher than hs, just saying. Ask Maps. UCLA and Stanford play possession and NC does not and neither do most college programs. Talk about hack city.......

Cool. I'm sorry if I got triggered by your frustration with hs soccer. My bad. My dd looked at it more like a chess match. The things some girls do to win is insane and I'll leave it at that. Refs need to do a better job of the rough and dirty plays. I'm in agreement with you. If you would have said it was fun for this and that and then mentioned all her frustration together in OP then I would have agreed with you. No harm no foul bro :)

HS is actually more of a checkers match, Spicoli.

HS is actually more of a checkers match, Spicoli.
Yes and no. Again, if your player likes checkers better and hops over or runs through people for the double check, then cool. My dd plays possession and that is a chess match. She and her coach want to play that way. Pass from the back and work your way up the field. Control the match.

Yes and no. Again, if your player likes checkers better and hops over or runs through people for the double check, then cool. My dd plays possession and that is a chess match. She and her coach want to play that way. Pass from the back and work your way up the field. Control the match.

Possession play is wonderful... unless only 3 of your teammates have that ability. Then you're going to lose to a kickball team.

Possession play is wonderful... unless only 3 of your teammates have that ability. Then you're going to lose to a kickball team.
Yes and know. Some teams try and play like UCLA and others play like NC. It's called a game match up for a reason. Each game is different and full of surprises. Rain and turf or grass. If winning is #1, then the game and the girls will dictate the style. So many people whine and moan over hs soccer. it amazes me to this day. It's called school pride Outlaw and when some girls put on their hs jersey, school pride and winning comes first, over stylish play and all that. Unfortunately, girls some times get in cat fights and gets chippy. Some top players get frustrated and quit and that's ok too. My dd loves the competitive ganas outlaw. Do you understand ganas?

Yes and know. Some teams try and play like UCLA and others play like NC. It's called a game match up for a reason. Each game is different and full of surprises. Rain and turf or grass. If winning is #1, then the game and the girls will dictate the style. So many people whine and moan over hs soccer. it amazes me to this day. It's called school pride Outlaw and when some girls put on their hs jersey, school pride and winning comes first, over stylish play and all that. Unfortunately, girls some times get in cat fights and gets chippy. Some top players get frustrated and quit and that's ok too. My dd loves the competitive ganas outlaw. Do you understand ganas?

No argument about school pride. Why else WOULD you play? All we're saying is that, for most schools and regions, the skill level is lower and that leads to more injuries. The coaching is typically bad and the frustration level increases for stronger players. And if you've spent years working and sacrificing for the dream of playing at the college level, and some hack comes in and takes your kid out with a cheap shot or late tackle, it's frustrating. My kid has played for 11 years and never been injured. First year of HS ball? Took a late knee to the hip and had to come off. First time.

My favorite part is club teammates doing battle against each other in HS gear. Love the post game photos in alternate colors.

No argument about school pride. Why else WOULD you play? All we're saying is that, for most schools and regions, the skill level is lower and that leads to more injuries. The coaching is typically bad and the frustration level increases for stronger players. And if you've spent years working and sacrificing for the dream of playing at the college level, and some hack comes in and takes your kid out with a cheap shot or late tackle, it's frustrating. My kid has played for 11 years and never been injured. First year of HS ball? Took a late knee to the hip and had to come off. First time.

My favorite part is club teammates doing battle against each other in HS gear. Love the post game photos in alternate colors.
Wow, what level is your player at? My dd broke a bone in her foot ((hack in club stepped on it)), broke her wrist at ODP tryouts, got a concussion against Surf when she played for Blues. Let's see, what else can I think of???? Oh ya, had a seizure on the field in OT in the Dallas Cup finals. 1 minute left in OT and she raced down a kickball to try and score and the GK clipped her feet and my dd went flying in the air and had convulsions on the filed. 911 was called and it was gnarly and scary all in one Outlaw. She was flopping like a fish. The only time I ever ran on the field. A doctor from our older sister team was right behind me. Scariest 2 minutes of my life. What had actually happen was my dd got the win knocked out of her and needed to breath. She tried to go back in but we pulled her out 100%. She had other injuries in her career but she played through them I think. I can;t imagine playing soccer for 11 years and never getting injured if you play with ganas.

Last edited:
HS sports is what you make of them.

There are somewhat of urban myths behind the hoopla that it's more risky or the level is not good enough, or the coaching is non existed.

With 2 players already in/through college and a upcoming HS senior high school sports have been great for our kids. Way more injuries for our daughter ECNL teams compared to HS, oldest son didn't notice any difference nor for the younger. They both have had college coaches and other scouts out to see them during HS play.

Coaching was never a issue and heck if your good enough should be dominating the so called lower level players. Do the two man crews miss somethings sure they do buy good players learn how to adapt to whatever style of play or player

Learning different styles playing vs different players and challenging oneself is normally a positive and HS players can take leadership roles playing with the mixed ages, helps in preparation for later life where everyone is not the same age, on the same page.

club soccer is great to and fun also but it's almost a isolated type of deal where your don't get that many outside opportunities and it's a closed ecosystem for the most part.

I'm curious to see what ECNL announcement will be. As of today they starting Season as normal, which we all know will not happen.
I don't think ECNL will make one beyond what they already have. That you are to abide by local and state requirements. ECNL around the country does not operate on the same schedule. Some conferences play winter and spring seasons because their HS soccer is played in the fall. Some do what we usually do (fall/spring seasons with HS in the winter), and some do fall/winter (with HS in the spring). So it is really up to the conferences to set their schedule.

Wow, what level is your player at? My dd broke a bone in her foot ((hack in club stepped on it)), broke her wrist at ODP tryouts, got a concuision against Surf when she played for Blues. Let's see, what else can I think of???? Oh ya, had a seizure on the field in OT in the Dallas Cup finals. 1 minute left in OT and she raced down a kickball to try and score and the GK clipped her feet and my dd went flying in the air and had conversions on the filed. 911 was called and it was gnarly and scary all in one Outlaw. She was flopping like a fish. The only time I ever ran on the field. A doctor from our older sister team was right behind me. Scariest 2 minutes of my life. What had actually happen was my dd got the win knocked out of her and needed to breath. She tried to go back in but we pulled her out 100%. She had other injuries but she played through them I think. I can;t imagine playing soccer for 11 years and never getting injured if you play with ganas.

Daughter plays NPL and we've played many of your heavy, SoCal hitters at Surf. My kid is big, though, so others tend to pull up when going head to head with her.

She has friends and teammates that are barely hanging on, though, because of injuries... especially knees. Ganas is great until it ends your career.

Exactly why the mens teams don't qualify for the WC. The system is set up for the the ones that can afford it. That doesn't mean they are the best. Then you see clubs Taking money from the government and parents. I doubt they give any back. On top of that they are holding camps. It's all greed

Huh? The PPP was specifically designed to help keep small businesses like youth soccer clubs afloat. These clubs have obviously been among the most severely impacted by the pandemic, and they actually provide a service to children. I’m having a hard time thinking of many businesses that are more deserving since they at least help kids. Contrast them with publicly-traded for profit businesses that are taking millions in PPP loans.

This narrative that youth soccer clubs are power hungry greedy businesses that don’t care about kids is tiresome and complete b.s. Virtually all of them are doing the best they can to survive. The vast majority are trying to provide services as best they can within restrictive shelter in place or social distancing rules, and they’re entitled to be paid for that. Soccer coaches in particular have been severely hurt by the pandemic in that they weren’t making much to begin with and most then went to nothing.

If you don’t want to pay for the limited services they can provide right now, don’t, or go somewhere else where you will get what you pay for.

There are somewhat of urban myths behind the hoopla that it's more risky or the level is not good enough, or the coaching is non existed.

With 2 players already in/through college and a upcoming HS senior high school sports have been great for our kids. Way more injuries for our daughter ECNL teams compared to HS, oldest son didn't notice any difference nor for the younger. They both have had college coaches and other scouts out to see them during HS play.

Coaching was never a issue and heck if your good enough should be dominating the so called lower level players. Do the two man crews miss somethings sure they do buy good players learn how to adapt to whatever style of play or player

Learning different styles playing vs different players and challenging oneself is normally a positive and HS players can take leadership roles playing with the mixed ages, helps in preparation for later life where everyone is not the same age, on the same page.

club soccer is great to and fun also but it's almost a isolated type of deal where your don't get that many outside opportunities and it's a closed ecosystem for the most part.
Excellent takes on hs soccer. I know where the Urban myths come and I know why their said. If my dd would have stayed in Temecula and went to that charter school called TPS, then she would have played D7. I swear as God as my witness she would not have bailed on her classmates and school. She played in 8th grade with them and her club coach was not all too happy. My dd was the coach on the field and tried to play possession because that's what her club preached. When they needed a few goals, she would try and score. It was rough but she had so mucg fun. We actually sat next to some parents from a little school in Hemet and my dd was playing really good, like a Cat playing with a mouse. The other parents were so rude. "Go back to club, you don;t belong here." Her club coach telling her please dont play middle school soccer. She came to her old man for advice. "Daddy, what should I do?" I told her to do what your heart desires and I will support you 100%. I did say they will hack her and it wont be anything like Surf and you have a high chance of getting hurt and never playing again. She went to school the next day and came home and said she's playing with her friends from school. Half played local club like Hawks, Legends South and Temecula United. We had a good little team.

Daughter plays NPL and we've played many of your heavy, SoCal hitters at Surf. My kid is big, though, so others tend to pull up when going head to head with her.

She has friends and teammates that are barely hanging on, though, because of injuries... especially knees. Ganas is great until it ends your career.
She is very fortunate to be big and never get hurt playing club. First parent I've heard that from. Again, that's super awesome :)

There's more comp injuries because the high school season is 2-3 months long. I was lucky... my high school coach was a former college player, but many of these kids play for the teacher willing to take $3k extra, per year, to sacrifice his/her weeknights.

Question about CIF this year in the spring. I've read you can play club and HS for soccer. Can you play two sports in HS at the same time this year? Daughter wants to run track besides play soccer. HS games are Wed / Fri while track meets were Thursday.

Hey another small ray of sunshine for those of you with kids in private or charter middle school. The state health officials seem to indicate that the footnote waiver (the one allowing elementary schools to seek a waiver) may also appliy to middle schools. If your private or charter elementary or middle school doesn't know, you can them a heads up. For the public schools it seems they are SOL because an objection from a community group (such as the teacher's union) seems to be interpreted as enough not to get the waiver.

Back