CIF decision

My daughter is a rising senior ECNL player who has decided that she is not interested in playing in college (had been looked at and contacted by some D1s and D2s prior to her decision.) Wants to pursue a medical major and have a “regular” college experience, and realized that soccer would make both of those things so much harder that it wasn’t worth it to her. That said, ALL she wants is to have a final high school season. She would/will drop club in a split second to be able to play her last high school season. I think there may be more ECNL seniors than you might think who feel the same.

My daughter is a rising senior ECNL player who has decided that she is not interested in playing in college (had been looked at and contacted by some D1s and D2s prior to her decision.) Wants to pursue a medical major and have a “regular” college experience, and realized that soccer would make both of those things so much harder that it wasn’t worth it to her. That said, ALL she wants is to have a final high school season. She would/will drop club in a split second to be able to play her last high school season. I think there may be more ECNL seniors than you might think who feel the same.
That is nice your daughter feels that way, but the idea that other ECNL seniors will follow her path is VERY unlikely. It takes an extra commitment to play ECNL (both time and money), so 99% of those kids want to play in college. But there is no reason to debate this. They can play both. It is just a matter of the HS and club coaches being smart and not overworking the kids in training.

The last three years of club soccer has sucked for many girls and many are saying good bye for good. I know a few who thought it was the best sport since slice bread. I'm here to tell you as a fan of sports with ganas, youth club soccer lost that ingredients some time ago. HS Soccer is played with Ganas and that is why it should be embraced, not made fun of and told it sucks. Let's just say it needs to be improved and I'm willing to support that because its free!!!!

Our daughter is now a college sophomore, loved her senior HS year but it was normal and played ECNL also.

Everyone had college offers including her but she went the medical route and got a bunch of sholarships outside sports. She still participated in athletics intramural so it was working well until the shutdown.

That is nice your daughter feels that way, but the idea that other ECNL seniors will follow her path is VERY unlikely. It takes an extra commitment to play ECNL (both time and money), so 99% of those kids want to play in college. But there is no reason to debate this. They can play both. It is just a matter of the HS and club coaches being smart and not overworking the kids in training.
Im not debating that, just putting out a perspective that may be unique to seniors. I hope things get better and everyone gets to be able to make the choice to play either or both.

I was thinking this morning about this. I have never ever heard someone tell me high school basketball sucks and it's too dangerous or talent-less. I have heard people say their basketball team sucks because they have no talent, but not, "basketball sucks in High School." I played baseball in the South Coast League in the early 80s. I would never have said, "high school baseball sucks and the players who play high school baseball suck. The scouts only watch travel ball games." The truth is our school was in the wrong league and we got killed by the likes of Capo Valley HS, Mission Viejo, San Clemente, to name a few of the giants. We would lose 23-2, no joke. I got my chance to hit with MLB scouts in the stands with their MPH guns. I went up against guys like Lee Plemel from Laguna Hills, the Call bros from Capo and some top draft pick named Dobbs from Capo beach. I also hit against Paul Abbott out of Sunny Hills. I struck out against all of them. Abbott and Dobbs were in the 90s with a nasty change up and curve ball. 1, 2 3 and my dream was over. I did not stand their looking and went out swinging foolishly in front of the scouts. Big wake up call for me that I was not big league material. So I went for being a pro surfer instead. EOTL thinks I was pro and I never said that. My bros were but not me. My best chance of pro was baseball and I smoked way too much weed in High School. I'm all for it for medical purposes for those over 50 with bad back but no flower for teens.
South Coast League was nails for baseball & football back in early 80's. Plemel, Wayne Helm, Alan Roman & crew led Laguna Hills to their only CIF championship back in'84. Big accomplishment for a smaller, newer school to beat league teams like Capo, MV & El Toro & then make a CIF title run

I'm shocked were already having what if debates about all this. I believe all this will work itself out. However, if Mr coach tells senior teenager either or, I bet more will say buzz off I'm playing with my friends.

Every single girl listed above for Cal South played ECNL. It is just plain ignorant and wrong to think that HS soccer had anything to do with it. Also no one that is uncommitted and wants to play in college. will chose HS over ECNL if you can’t do both. Also girls need to play for clubs or leagues that use Instat since college recruiting budgets will be slashed for years.

Not denying that at all. Just pushing back on the claim that the play isn't good in HS. Plenty of teams are rough and terrible, but at bigger schools/divisions you mostly have teams that can play and are filled with good players. Every kid we will start this year if there is a this year is former DA/ECNL and for the sophomores it's great to play against older good players. For the seniors it's great to play in new positions, be a leader, take kicks, etc. That helps development.

South Coast League was nails for baseball & football back in early 80's. Plemel, Wayne Helm, Alan Roman & crew led Laguna Hills to their only CIF championship back in'84. Big accomplishment for a smaller, newer school to beat league teams like Capo, MV & El Toro & then make a CIF title run
I know. I pitched against Laguna Hills at their place in 84'. I believe they were a new High School and just joined the league. Very nice field like Capos. We lost 3-1 and Plemel whiffed on my knuckle ball. He did rip a double on my 75 mhp fast ball in the ally and knocked in two runs. I pitched the whole game. Charlie Hough taught me how to throw a four finger knuckle ball. The ball moved wherever it wanted and it was wild as heck and when I had 3-1 or 3-0 count, it was batting practice.

Our experience with HS ball is that every school has 3-4 really good, club players. The rest are decent, club players. Players that want a club experience but aren't training 6-8 hours per week. The better high school teams have more good club players, many being ECNL, but they're all club players.

If high school coaches are willing to let the clubs drive the bus, and maybe have 1 practice a week with their high school teammates, I could see this working. If the high school coaches start making demands on a player's time and commitment, I can see HS ball turning into a non factor at all.

Our experience with HS ball is that every school has 3-4 really good, club players. The rest are decent, club players. Players that want a club experience but aren't training 6-8 hours per week. The better high school teams have more good club players, many being ECNL, but they're all club players.

If high school coaches are willing to let the clubs drive the bus, and maybe have 1 practice a week with their high school teammates, I could see this working. If the high school coaches start making demands on a player's time and commitment, I can see HS ball turning into a non factor at all.
I'm curious to see what ECNL announcement will be. As of today they starting Season as normal, which we all know will not happen.

She can still play college club or intramural soccer if the school offers it.

Every single girl listed above for Cal South played ECNL. It is just plain ignorant and wrong to think that HS soccer had anything to do with it. Also no one that is uncommitted and wants to play in college. will chose HS over ECNL if you can’t do both. Also girls need to play for clubs or leagues that use Instat since college recruiting budgets will be slashed for years.
Instat is only offered in GA League correct?

Dude, they did both because they were not scheduled at the same time. ECNL (as I'm sure you know) breaks for HS soccer....which my kid did!
Dubs, I want you to know i appreciate the back and forth and it makes life better and no politics. First of all, no one is right in this debate and that's ok. Each player is different. My dd let her GDA Doc/Coach and ECNL Doc/Coaches know that when she was done playing hs soccer, she would would rest for two weeks. Some Docs, not all, really hate hs soccer. I will not mention names but three of them come to mind and they told my dd hs soccer is dangerous, horrible kickball and basically my dd was too good for all that and if she committed her life full time to soccer and school and more soccer, she could make this and that and do this and that if the hard work and commitment was there. 4 days a week, plus training on the exstra days, games every weekend and 5 showcases a year. My dd did not play full time club soccer by choice. She skipped certain far away showcases. Only full time high school soccer the last two years. My dd is so rested and pain free. She does her one on one privates and then is doing a 6 mile hike once a week and then surfing and beach fun. I say we dont open up soccer until the girls can play a game.

Back