CIF 2020-21 Sports Calendars

HS Volleyball has been officially moved to Spring - more implications for dual/triple sport athletes and teams.

As expected CIF Southern Section cancels postseasons and championships for Season 1 sports, including football.

The cross country championships were canceled, despite the sport being allowed to take place in the purple tier, because the Section didn’t think it was realistic to host a championship in one location and have student athletes from all seven counties in the Southern Section footprint travel there to compete based on current COVID-19 trends in the region.

spring sports remain in place with some of them in purple moving forward. For counties that make it to the orange tier soccer still a possibility. March/April update on those for possible post season.

Press conference at 1 today.

July 20, 2020 – Update and 2020-21 Sports Calendars

Two season Fall and Spring, no Winter. But fall is just about winter and football is now only 11 or 8 man. first practice is 12/14 first comp 1/8/21 and goes to spring: playoffs start 3/19-4/16 for state championships.

Soccer will start on February 27, last league games on 5/6/21 and ends on June 5th at the regional finals.

CIF has suspending bylaw 600-605, so CIF will allow students to participate both in club soccer and HS soccer simultaneously.

With spring tournaments (national cup) and club simultaneously that's going to be difficult tasks to manage with the number of games.
Hmmmmmm

CIF just rescinded the ability to play for both club and high school. Newsomes wording on sports "no one should cohort with more than one team". So even if we get a spring high school soccer season who is going to play it?

CIF just rescinded the ability to play for both club and high school. Newsomes wording on sports "no one should cohort with more than one team". So even if we get a spring high school soccer season who is going to play it?
This includes coaches as well, which will make it very interesting.

This includes coaches as well, which will make it very interesting.
Eagle, did you see this coming....lol? Should we all get in huff or puff when in all reality of the duality we all find ourselves in is silly sparing for nothing. I mean, no soccer will be played anyways with the current leadership so why waste our brains thinking about what is really going on. I'm heading to the beach before it rains all week. See you guys later. Peace out :)

Dang game over for HS basically now.

Between the orange tier requirement and no simultaneous play anymore.

Well, since neither are playing right now, who really cares. Until there is some sort of schedule, this doesn't really impact much.
Does attending a club practice mean you can't attend a high school conditioning session?
What about a kid that plays multiple sports at their high school? They play hs lacrosse, hs tennis and recreational soccer?

Eagle, did you see this coming....lol? Should we all get in huff or puff when in all reality of the duality we all find ourselves in is silly sparing for nothing. I mean, no soccer will be played anyways with the current leadership so why waste our brains thinking about what is really going on. I'm heading to the beach before it rains all week. See you guys later. Peace out :)
It's nothing to see here.....playing both at the same time is ridiculous idea to begin with.
Imagine this....training 5 days a week and playing 4 games a week in between. Very few will get through without an injury with this schedule.

I would disagree with this. Many kids will choose HS over club, depending of course on HS program.

I agree with you (and with your prior post). They are only kids a short while and playing a spring of low-stress HS after not playing for a while is going to appeal to many, especially if it looks like club returns to normal or near-normal come summer.

Well, since neither are playing right now, who really cares. Until there is some sort of schedule, this doesn't really impact much.
Does attending a club practice mean you can't attend a high school conditioning session?
What about a kid that plays multiple sports at their high school? They play hs lacrosse, hs tennis and recreational soccer?

Travel soccer and ECxx are playing now and there are many tournaments, showcase, and league games scheduled for the spring.

One cohort at a time so take that for what it's worth.

Travel soccer and ECxx are playing now and there are many tournaments, showcase, and league games scheduled for the spring.

One cohort at a time so take that for what it's worth.
Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of California based league play.

But CIF Soccer doesn't have any games scheduled for a while. And it will be a stretch to see if they do have games this year.

I agree with you (and with your prior post). They are only kids a short while and playing a spring of low-stress HS after not playing for a while is going to appeal to many, especially if it looks like club returns to normal or near-normal come summer.

This year is unquie and the scramble to play, make up for lost time and get exposure is a strong draw for some.

Giving up spring Dallas cup, Vegas, ECNL champions league, showcase, etc is not going to be very popular for certain age groups for the HS players we know.

Squads where expanded with the notion that x number where going to play spring HS and not necessary league games on the weekends. Tournaments and light training for those during the HS season but now that is sort of out the window.

With the dwindling prospect of a actual HS play season with championships some will just stick with club since they can at least play out of state for somethings.

But CIF Soccer doesn't have any games scheduled for a while. And it will be a stretch to see if they do have games this year.
Not sure what you mean by that. HS League schedules is out for a while now for Spring (at least since Oct). If your HS coach didn't mentioned this to you, it doesn't' mean it's not there.

This year is unquie and the scramble to play, make up for lost time and get exposure is a strong draw for some.

Giving up spring Dallas cup, Vegas, ECNL champions league, showcase, etc is not going to be very popular for certain age groups for the HS players we know.

Squads where expanded with the notion that x number where going to play spring HS and not necessary league games on the weekends. Tournaments and light training for those during the HS season but now that is sort of out the window.

With the dwindling prospect of a actual HS play season with championships some will just stick with club since they can at least play out of state for somethings.

I don't disagree with any of that - a lot of kids will focus on club. And I guess ECNL could cram an entire season of league games into the spring so that there is a Champions League but there are thousands of kids who play club but don't play in those events b/c they are not in THOSE clubs and some of those will play in college though likely not at a P5 or strong mid-major (like a Santa Clara). Unless my kids (or I) feel like there is a real risk in missing a "look", I'd have them make a choice based on where they'd get the most enjoyment as they ease back. I've gone through the "process" with one kid already and given her route (she played HS, played ECNL, played in the YNT/WNT program, is in college), it would not surprise me if she'd advise her sisters to play HS given this somewhat "lost" year.

Personally waiting on this ruling. My kiddo is currently on the volleyball team at high school (which I know will never play a game) to get her PE credit. Right now going on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Back