CIF 2020-21 Sports Calendars

jpeter

PREMIER
July 20, 2020 – Update and 2020-21 Sports Calendars

Two season Fall and Spring, no Winter. But fall is just about winter and football is now only 11 or 8 man. first practice is 12/14 first comp 1/8/21 and goes to spring: playoffs start 3/19-4/16 for state championships.

Soccer will start on February 27, last league games on 5/6/21 and ends on June 5th at the regional finals.

CIF has suspending bylaw 600-605, so CIF will allow students to participate both in club soccer and HS soccer simultaneously.

With spring tournaments (national cup) and club simultaneously that's going to be difficult tasks to manage with the number of games.

CIF has suspending bylaw 600-605, so CIF will allow students to participate both in club soccer and HS soccer simultaneously.

THIS should be very interesting.

THIS should be very interesting.
Well as someone mentioned to me yesterday...

If the season for club and hs overlap, wouldn't many people in their prime recruiting year forgo hs soccer?

If the goal for many is college, club offers a better venue for recruiting. So have fun with that decision.

Our High School coach didn't even have practices for soccer and daughter ended up playing Varsity Basketball and Track. Looking at playing soccer this year. With games Wed/Friday I could still see time for showcase tourneys on a weekend, and once a week practice with the club team. Plus many High School coaches are club coaches and have a number of players on both teams. Gives kids some options at least.

Well as someone mentioned to me yesterday...

If the season for club and hs overlap, wouldn't many people in their prime recruiting year forgo hs soccer?

If the goal for many is college, club offers a better venue for recruiting. So have fun with that decision.

Club may be better for recruiting, but HS is necessary for admission so you have to be there anyway.

High school soccer is necessary for College admissions? Sorry, had to ....

Not necessary, but the highlight video my son sent out was all high school play.

I watched that again a while back with him.

"How come you never made moves like that in college?"

"Dad, most of those high school players were not good enough to make a college team."

But he did make a few moves -- this sequence beat UCLA in OT in 2011.

High school soccer is necessary for College admissions? Sorry, had to ....
The HS sports give students the PE credits. In my son's HS, it encourages the students to take school sports, and not many students take PE classes after Fr year. To take PE at older, reducing the opportunity to take AP classes. It might have some impacts for college admissions.

I don’t see our kids club coach allowing the team to play high school if ecnl is happening this spring. I mean you’d be allowed to but I’d imagine the club coach will say you can play hs but you can’t miss my practice sooooo. I know my kid would pick ecnl. And even if allowed my kid wouldn’t risk not being at club practice And risk weekend ecnl playing time. The team is too good and competitive to not be there every practice. Sadly once again these DA kids are on the short end of it. They’ve had the birth year switch, DA ridiculousness and now covid.

and even if you could pull off timing and permission wise to do both is two games in the week and a game on the weekend plus trainings best for these kids? After 10 months of no games? That’s not worth it health wise.

The HS sports give students the PE credits. In my son's HS, it encourages the students to take school sports, and not many students take PE classes after Fr year. To take PE at older, reducing the opportunity to take AP classes. It might have some impacts for college admissions.
In our school district, if you play outside sports you can apply for Independent Study which gives you the PE credits as long as you meet the requirements and complete all the paperwork necessary during the school year. Which allows the athlete to have room for AP in the later years of HS.

I don’t see our kids club coach allowing the team to play high school if ecnl is happening this spring. I mean you’d be allowed to but I’d imagine the club coach will say you can play hs but you can’t miss my practice sooooo. I know my kid would pick ecnl. And even if allowed my kid wouldn’t risk not being at club practice And risk weekend ecnl playing time. The team is too good and competitive to not be there every practice. Sadly once again these DA kids are on the short end of it. They’ve had the birth year switch, DA ridiculousness and now covid.

and even if you could pull off timing and permission wise to do both is two games in the week and a game on the weekend plus trainings best for these kids? After 10 months of no games? That’s not worth it health wise.

As was discussed on the other thread, 20 or so states already play spring HS soccer so ECNL (and the ECNL clubs) can modify the schedule for this one year and play in the winter. With 26 (I think it was) states that typically play HS soccer in the fall and many of those likely adjusting, I'd imagine spring HS soccer will be the dominant format this coming year.

some will pick club and some will pick HS, it will be $3-4K question.

some will pick club and some will pick HS, it will be $3-4K question.
This year could be a mess. But next year could be even worse.
Let's say this Spring, you have ECNL clubs highly recommend that kids dont play HS soccer. So now you have a HS roster made up from outside of ECNL. Kids are thrilled - they made varsity as a sophomore or freshman.
Then next year when things are back to "normal" (hopefully) the ECNL kids are back in the mix. And those players that got a ton of minutes are now bench players.
Competition is good - Rise up or get passed over. I'm strictly thinking of this from a mental standpoint for teenage players (girls mostly)

Yup all season 1 sports will only do local league play if/when the CDPH and local public heath approves sometime next year. No CIF or regional playoffs.

Soccer is season 2 so some hope but our HS staff and AD are telling players that CIF or regional championship events are a longshot and only local league play is likely to go forward once the updated guidance is released

Yup all season 1 sports will only do local league play if/when the CDPH and local public heath approves sometime next year. No CIF or regional playoffs.

Soccer is season 2 so some hope but our HS staff and AD are telling players that CIF or regional championship events are a longshot and only local league play is likely to go forward once the updated guidance is released
Meanwhile in Arizona (and many other states) the kids have been in school full time for months and all sports are going. Yet somehow things arent any worse there. This is so wrong for our kids! Yet another reason people are leaving this state.

The press release states that regionals and state championships will not happen for season 1 sports. Individual sections have not necessarily cancelled their CIF playoffs. For instance, CIF-SS issued a press release yesterday specifically stating that they have not cancelled CIF playoffs for season 1 sports and will make that determination on January 19th.

The press release states that regionals and state championships will not happen for season 1 sports. Individual sections have not necessarily cancelled their CIF playoffs. For instance, CIF-SS issued a press release yesterday specifically stating that they have not cancelled CIF playoffs for season 1 sports and will make that determination on January 19th.

This is the CIF-SS release

There proposal to incorporate the four colored tiers and directly connect those to high school sports pretty much means they painted themselves into a corner and dec15, Jan 4th, or Jan 19th is likely not enough time for any SoCal counties to get out of purple for the low risk sports. For LA forget about it, lucky to be out of purple in 3-4 months.

Football going to need a orange or yellow tier since its high risk,. Soccer red or orange since it's medium, everything else likely a red since schools can't open in purple.

With that is pretty obvious that football for Socal is a longshot and there just holding on to a stand of hope. There just is not enough time or field space to try to crame all sports into some condensed calendar and do playoffs, something are not going to happen.

Good to have hope but at some point they need be realistic, right now it's all hope and prayers.

This is the CIF-SS release

There proposal to incorporate the four colored tiers and directly connect those to high school sports pretty much means they painted themselves into a corner and dec15, Jan 4th, or Jan 19th is likely not enough time for any SoCal counties to get out of purple for the low risk sports. For LA forget about it, lucky to be out of purple in 3-4 months.

Football going to need a orange or yellow tier since its high risk,. Soccer red or orange since it's medium, everything else likely a red since schools can't open in purple.

With that is pretty obvious that football for Socal is a longshot and there just holding on to a stand of hope. There just is not enough time or field space to try to crame all sports into some condensed calendar and do playoffs, something are not going to happen.

Good to have hope but at some point they need be realistic, right now it's all hope and prayers.

The way it stands right now, football is not happening. The only question will be whether they'll move football to Spring and shorten soccer season.
There will be huge push to have Spring sports over Fall/Winter since all of them were canceled last Spring.

Back