CIF 2020-21 Sports Calendars

This year is unquie and the scramble to play, make up for lost time and get exposure is a strong draw for some.

Giving up spring Dallas cup, Vegas, ECNL champions league, showcase, etc is not going to be very popular for certain age groups for the HS players we know.

Squads where expanded with the notion that x number where going to play spring HS and not necessary league games on the weekends. Tournaments and light training for those during the HS season but now that is sort of out the window.

With the dwindling prospect of a actual HS play season with championships some will just stick with club since they can at least play out of state for somethings.
I agree, but you only talking about small percentage of kids. Majority are not paying (sorry, playing) ECNL, MLS or whatever else.

Not sure what you mean by that. HS League schedules is out for a while now for Spring (at least since Oct). If your HS coach didn't mentioned this to you, it doesn't' mean it's not there.
Sure, there's an anticipated start date and schedules. But until we are out of the "purple" tier, we may as well say we'll be playing on the backs of unicorns. All just a fantasy at this point.
In the prior years, HS soccer started to have pre-season tournaments and scrimmages right after Thanksgiving. Kids could play club and HS until there was an "official game with a referee" (I think that was the rule. Please correct me as needed). During the fall and winter, club players would have their club practices and club games. High School would have some sort of "Soccer class" during 6th period or Zero Period until the season started.

I agree, but you only talking about small percentage of kids. Majority are not paying (sorry, playing) ECNL, MLS or whatever else.

Overall yes the majority but when you look at certain leagues like trinity, religious privates, or some socal sections there are much higher numbers playing those.

If /when there is a choice if socal gets into the orange tier regular club players have to make a choice also. All most all of the teams in his HS division have club players for the most part, his team is like 90% club players.

Masks required for soccer during competition :

OCRegister: CIF State update: Athletes in some sports will be required to wear a mask during competition.

The CIF State The guidelines, which follow the lead of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), state that for the sports of badminton, baseball, basketball, competitive cheer, field hockey, football, golf, lacrosse, soccer, softball, tennis, volleyball and wrestling, “masks should be worn at all times by all individuals participating in the activity, even with heavy exertion as tolerated.”

update on Friday, Jan. 22 to the guidelines for competition to advise that masks should be worn by participants in most sports.

Statewide CIF bylaws have always permitted that - the restrictions only apply to playing HS and non-HS in the same sport.

The question is the wording for this year. "..cohort with only one team..." By this wording it means that you can only be on one team period. Does not matter the sports. So in theory my kiddo can not be on the high school volleyball team and her club soccer team. I don't think the high schools are looking too closely yet because right now volleyball is just a class. Problem would come if they ever get to compete.

The question is the wording for this year. "..cohort with only one team..." By this wording it means that you can only be on one team period. Does not matter the sports. So in theory my kiddo can not be on the high school volleyball team and her club soccer team. I don't think the high schools are looking too closely yet because right now volleyball is just a class. Problem would come if they ever get to compete.

Volleyball and soccer same season at our school and AD already stated they will be following state recommendations of the one cohort at a time for just this spring.

If they where different seasons like track and swim + soccer that will work. Same seasons a no go if participating in two HS sports or must choose one between HS and club same season. Two club sports same season no HS not sure the clubs would even question or care but YMWV.

Cohorting (“Outdoor and Indoor Youth and Recreational Adult Sports” CDPH document) Athletes and coaches should cohort by team, and refrain from participating with more than one team over the same season or time period (notwithstanding competitions permitted as outlined below). Therefore, the CIF must rescind its temporary suspension of CIF Bylaws 600-605 (Outside Competition) effectively immediately to avoid being in conflict with the language above issued by the Governor’s Office and the CDPH. If the CDPH Guidance is amended in the future, the CIF may elect to revisit this issue.

I've highlighted it for you.....

Question: If a student has already participated on a team outside the CIF, does this
impact their high school eligibility?
Answer: No. As of today, there have been no CIF contests so no student has lost
eligibility with respect to this Bylaw.

So it is ok to play club games and tourneys right up until the first CIF contest. So play club games. Practice with you High School team. Cohorting be damned. :confused:

I'd also say CIF isn't giving any new rules, just instituting its old rules which only forbid same sport. It is the Governors office and Health department that only want one team cohorting.

How do kids cohort with their classmates (I expect school to start by March/April as teachers are now getting their shots) and still play with a sports team? Lastly if masks are required and you are playing outside, what does it matter if you cohort.

Question: If a student has already participated on a team outside the CIF, does this

So it is ok to play club games and tourneys right up until the first CIF contest. So play club games. Practice with you High School team. Cohorting be damned. :confused:

I'd also say CIF isn't giving any new rules, just instituting its old rules which only forbid same sport. It is the Governors office and Health department that only want one team cohorting.

How do kids cohort with their classmates (I expect school to start by March/April as teachers are now getting their shots) and still play with a sports team? Lastly if masks are required and you are playing outside, what does it matter if you cohort.
the question will be: why would you even need to cohort if games will be allowed and we are in Yellow tier?

In LA county several things must change in order to have youth sports beyond the ones in purple tier outlined in the guidance doc from Dec and updated 1/26

Getting the Daily new cases (per 100k) to within 3.9
Or the positive rates for the entire country to 4.9 to reach orange tier is just one of those steps. County heath and the school boards, and schools need to get onboard with that with additional things added on a possibility (teachers and coaches vaccinated for one)

Conditioning is slated to return to our district and school next week which is good for the kids. However, we've heard some schools not going to even offer conditioning beyond the purple tier sports since they see very little chance of getting back to play or into orange in time.

We have track and swim going but no competition with other schools yet or how to hold them. Dual meets are the only possiblity but getting approval to hold one is something that hasn't been done just yet.

Time is ticking away and between the state guidance, CIF, country, local school board is a very difficult mine field to navigate.

The let them play rallies today and the lawsuit might be the best last change they have to actually see the field for LA county soccer at socal public schools this spring.

img_1985.jpg

In LA county several things must change in order to have youth sports beyond the ones in purple tier outlined in the guidance doc from Dec and updated 1/26

Getting the Daily new cases (per 100k) to within 3.9
Or the positive rates for the entire country to 4.9 to reach orange tier is just one of those steps. County heath and the school boards, and schools need to get onboard with that with additional things added on a possibility (teachers and coaches vaccinated for one)

Conditioning is slated to return to our district and school next week which is good for the kids. However, we've heard some schools not going to even offer conditioning beyond the purple tier sports since they see very little chance of getting back to play or into orange in time.

We have track and swim going but no competition with other schools yet or how to hold them. Dual meets are the only possiblity but getting approval to hold one is something that hasn't been done just yet.

Time is ticking away and between the state guidance, CIF, country, local school board is a very difficult mine field to navigate.

The let them play rallies today and the lawsuit might be the best last change they have to actually see the field for LA county soccer at socal public schools this spring.

img_1985.jpg
LA County is in tough spot.
OC, I believe, will have at least a Season

Good news with the dual cohorts. The suspension of the bylaw has been reinstated to allow club & HS at the same time has been suspended again with the exception of football

Yeah the schedules will be crazy to be able to do both but at least there is some possiblities now with tournaments if nothing else.

Now we need to get that compromise done so soccer is not in the orange tier and high risk so there can be a season

Good news with the dual cohorts. The suspension of the bylaw has been reinstated to allow club & HS at the same time has been suspended again with the exception of football

Yeah the schedules will be crazy to be able to do both but at least there is some possiblities now with tournaments if nothing else.

Now we need to get that compromise done so soccer is not in the orange tier and high risk so there can be a season
It was obvious

LA County is in tough spot.
OC, I believe, will have at least a Season
We've still got a long way to go in OC based on the tier criteria and the numbers as of 9 Feb 2021:
Adjusted case rate is 29.7/100K. Moderate tier is maximum of 3.9.
County positivity rate is 9.4%. Moderate tier is maximum of 4.9.
Health equity positivity rate is 12.4%. Moderate tier is maximum of 5.2

CDPH categorizes soccer as a high contact outdoor sport and maps that into the Orange (Moderate) tier. I think a good case could be made that soccer should be identified as a moderate contact sport and therefore mapped into the Red (Substantial) tier. Even so, there would still need to be a substantial reduction in the COVID metrics for play to recommence.
Maximum Red tier adjusted case rate is 7.0/100K
Maximum Red tier County positivity rate is 8%
Maximum Red tier Health equity positivity rate is 8%

The discussions with the state have centered around HS football and there is a group of four coaches who have been reporting progress in the discussions. Articles were written by local prep reporters that major progress was made last week. Not sure what this actually means but the bottom line is if football wins we all win which means the tiers will be eliminated and all sports will be permitted at a given date.

The discussions with the state have centered around HS football and there is a group of four coaches who have been reporting progress in the discussions. Articles were written by local prep reporters that major progress was made last week. Not sure what this actually means but the bottom line is if football wins we all win which means the tiers will be eliminated and all sports will be permitted at a given date.

Having school based athletics tied directly to the state covid tiers as there currently define makes things very difficult to resume play for Socal.

HS Football might be able to pull off a limited local league season until the end to mid April. CIF already cancelled their championship's. If football goes soccer can and will be impacted since there is not enough fields to go around, who is going to take priority when there trying to play or practice at the same time in April or March?

Hard to say that tiers will be fully eliminated since that's the way the state has handled industry guidance for all sectors so far. I think we will be seeing some changes to the youth sports guidance with the next couple weeks, instead of 4 tiers maybe just 1-3 risks categories and the steps & procedures within them but to eliminate them all now wholesale wouldn't really be a "comprise" you know how the politics of saving face goes. Hope they do but it's always seems to be something else they through in with the monkey wrench.

the biology doesn‘t give you a nice, clean safe/not safe line. You reduce the risk. You don’t make it zero.

each thing you do multiplies the risk by a fraction. You can cut the risk in half three times in a row. But you can‘t make it zero.

So, why cohort if you are already outside? Because single cohorts outside are a lower risk to your teammates, and teammates’ families, than being outside on multiple teams.

To be honest, I’m just glad it looks like we can play. I’m not about to argue about the number of simultaneous teams. One is WAAY better than zero.

Back