Chances of playing in College

You clearly don't have experience with Stanford and their athletic awards because any athletic award you get reduces any need based award that you might have receive dollar for dollar. They have need based money available for families with incomes all the way up to $200k. That can still be cost prohibitive for families and here is an example. Let's say you have a dual income family that does $180k a year. Even if the player gets 75% in athletic aid that would reduce any need based award to zero and the family would still have to come up with $23k a year for their player to go there. For schools like that (not the Ivies) it is better to either be rich and really talented or needy (or have a big family) and be really talented. The middle 80% needs to have a pretty good college saving account ($100k+) AND get at least a 50% offer.
To further illustrate a point that Map is talking about. Last year the D1 universities put a proposal together to get the approval that academic money and athletic money could be added together. Here is what I mean. Under the proposal the athletic department could offer 50% scholarship and a kid could get another 25% from academic money thus the student would receive a 75% scholarship with the athletic department only getting hit 50%. Under the current policy the department gets hit with 75% regardless. This would have helped numerous kids and the programs. If D1 gets 14.1 scholarships for a fully funded program coaches would have been able to spread the money even more. Unfortunately as I have been told most of the D2 schools shot this down and it did not get passed.

Follow up question: we keep being told that no one gets 100%. Ok fine. So what's a good %?
There are a few that land 100% athletic offers. It is hard to do and your player must have the complete package athletically, plus being courted by some very high profile programs helps in the negotiations.

Just know that the soccer coaching world is "small" and these coaches already know pretty much who is really being courted and the individual value your player brings to the table.

To further illustrate a point that Map is talking about. Last year the D1 universities put a proposal together to get the approval that academic money and athletic money could be added together. Here is what I mean. Under the proposal the athletic department could offer 50% scholarship and a kid could get another 25% from academic money thus the student would receive a 75% scholarship with the athletic department only getting hit 50%. Under the current policy the department gets hit with 75% regardless. This would have helped numerous kids and the programs. If D1 gets 14.1 scholarships for a fully funded program coaches would have been able to spread the money even more. Unfortunately as I have been told most of the D2 schools shot this down and it did not get passed.

Do you have a reference for that?

You guys are on the ivy/D3 needs based kick but below is what I've heard from one of the assistant coach at D1 state school, the following.

While NCAA restricts number of athletic scholarships, for state schools, its not all the same. What he meant by it and the example he used was this (this was in context of mens program so its 9.9 ep). UCLA, according to this particular coach said, well funded program uses 9.9 out of state costs whereas UCI uses in-state costs. Both are at 9.9 equivalent players but aggregate dollars is quite different and how they spread amongst the roster.

You can see why some of the schools recruits more from in-state vs out of state. But, if you can recruit in-state player using out of state cost bases, it goes much further. Its a question worth asking the coach during the recruiting cycle. It definitely sounds like a loophole in the system and how well the booster program is working for the program.

Reference for what? The current policy or the proposal?

The whole story about need-based financial aid and academic awards deducting from the school's total athletic scholarship allotment. That's different from what my son and his coach told me.

The whole story about need-based financial aid and academic awards deducting from the school's total athletic scholarship allotment. That's different from what my son and his coach told me.
Need base is totally different than academic/athletic scholarship. Academic and athletic are both merit and the NCAA screws this up. The kid can't be awarded and recognized for their academic achievement without the athletic department getting hit if the athletic department also want s to reward the kid. Lets further clarify that if it is only academic and not paired with athletic the athletic department does not get hit and does not go against their scholarship count. The problem here is that we all talk about grades and athletics. Good grades and great athletic ability gets you in most doors and typically gets you athletic money with no academic. Exceptional grades and great athletic ability - now they have to look at who is going to give the most academic or athletic but adding them hits the athletic department. Exceptional grades good athletics will get you in and probably a lot of academic money.

Need base is totally different than academic/athletic scholarship. Academic and athletic are both merit and the NCAA screws this up. The kid can't be awarded and recognized for their academic achievement without the athletic department getting hit if the athletic department also want s to reward the kid. Lets further clarify that if it is only academic and not paired with athletic the athletic department does not get hit and does not go against their scholarship count. The problem here is that we all talk about grades and athletics. Good grades and great athletic ability gets you in most doors and typically gets you athletic money with no academic. Exceptional grades and great athletic ability - now they have to look at who is going to give the most academic or athletic but adding them hits the athletic department. Exceptional grades good athletics will get you in and probably a lot of academic money.

The way I understand the rules (and my understanding is limited to what we had to deal with when my son was in school 2010-2015), no single player can receive more than the "total cost of attendance", a number determined by each school subject to NCAA acceptance. That amount can come from any source the school provides - athletic grant-in-aid, need-based funds, and academic awards (plus perhaps some other minor funds). However, only the part that comes from the athletic department counts against its total scholarship funding level, which for women soccer players is 14 times the total cost of attendance.

For soccer, both men and women, the athletic grant-in-aid money is divided as many ways as the coach desires, so the coach encourages players to apply for need-based money as well.

That is exactly what the coaches do, they can use 50% or 25% academic to get kids more money without using up all of their athletic scholarships as long as the athlete has the grades. The requirements are different at every school. I don't know where you got this info but they absolutely combine academic and athletic money. I had heard that nobody gets a 100% athletic either but that is not true either.

Thanks for all of the info folks!
And it's great that so many of your Children are 4.0 AP students.... is there anyone here with a child that has a 3.3? Lol what does their aid look like.

As a side note, college can't possibly keep increasing in price at this rate right? It's crazy.

For my daughter the money that she got from Academic and Athletic money combine but need based is negated by either of those. We originally thought she would have 100 covered as her soccer and grade money covered the whole of the parent contribution. Sad realization when the money got applied to her account and the need based money dissipated leaving us with a shortfall. What is still strange is that we are still paying less for her to play a a private than for her to go to a state school.

That is exactly what the coaches do, they can use 50% or 25% academic to get kids more money without using up all of their athletic scholarships as long as the athlete has the grades. The requirements are different at every school. I don't know where you got this info but they absolutely combine academic and athletic money. I had heard that nobody gets a 100% athletic either but that is not true either.
If the academic money is coming from the school and the athletic money comes from the school the combined amount is a hit on the athletic program. Once the kid gets athletic money they are a counter and the total aid FROM THE SCHOOL counts in its entirety. Academic money or grants from outside the school typically do not.

Know a kid that was offers 50% athletic and x amount of dollars for academic. She was told if she raises her sat score to x she would receive more money. I don't think the academic money counts towards the programs total athletic money. The package could hit 80%. INhave heard of near 100% athletic and academic . It's possible but probably only at a private school.

Know a kid that was offers 50% athletic and x amount of dollars for academic. She was told if she raises her sat score to x she would receive more money. I don't think the academic money counts towards the programs total athletic money. The package could hit 80%. INhave heard of near 100% athletic and academic . It's possible but probably only at a private school.

It happens at public schools too. I pay less for university than I paid for U16 club soccer.

Everything is school dependent. My player's school has a ton of pro players but only ever gave out one full ride scholarship.

If the academic money is coming from the school and the athletic money comes from the school the combined amount is a hit on the athletic program. Once the kid gets athletic money they are a counter and the total aid FROM THE SCHOOL counts in its entirety. Academic money or grants from outside the school typically do not.

It's a combined hit toward that player's limit, but not toward the athletic department budget.

Back