Chances of playing in College

Protip via Nogoal- Forget everything said about picking the school for the best academic fit. Rather only go to a quarter system school so that academics interfere the least with soccer.
Now your just talking out of your ass. Obviously by your post about the Ivy League that you didn't know Harvard and Princeton are semester systems.

The UC Schools are fine institutions and are on the quarter system, in case you didn't know. Look my DD goes to UDub and is ranked like #51 in the US news report and #11 in their world university ranking. So, pipe down....because education is highly valued in my family.

Sorry to break it to you but I said the Ivies are "better accommodating." I never said that schools don't work with their athletes. Of course they want them to keep up their grades and graduate because it helps their stats. However at schools such as D1, sports play a bigger financial role in the school culture and thus an athlete's commitment to the sport is more rigid. At Ivies school come first.

You are posting like you know! I didn't know your ulittle was in college already. Ivies are still a D1 sport, so don't forget that. It's not just the Ivies you are painting as the more accomodating univerisites. It's based on the culture of the univeristy and how their college athletics is ran. This is where a family needs to weight all the options at their disposal when choosing which university and program fits best with their player.

Not every kid has the academic chops to gain admissions to an Ivy and in case you didn't know they bend their academic requirements for a stud soccer player too.

FACT, your posts would carry more weight and credibility if your DD was committed, but that isn't the case. I spoke to a Ivy league coach...please, so did I during my DDs college recruiting years.

Surfref, GKrent, MAP's are a few parents in here that can provide insight, because their DD's are currently college student athletes. Man, even CaliKlines posts have more credibility than yours and he is wrong more often than not.

I guess you would even disagree with me if I say the sky is blue.

I understand the point that one major is not necessarily more difficult or time consuming for a kid that is gifted in that area. But for some majors (generally STEM) that have mandatory labs or internships, you cannot miss too many of them and if you are consistently missing Thursdays and Fridays for travel and games, that is a problem. Sorry to break it to you but I do have personal experience in this area and know that the Ivies have been better accommodating and will help you get out in 4 with summer school.

It's not just the Ivies that make accommodations idiot. You just don't listen do you?

I guess you would even disagree with me if I say the sky is blue.

I understand the point that one major is not necessarily more difficult or time consuming for a kid that is gifted in that area. But for some majors (generally STEM) that have mandatory labs or internships, you cannot miss too many of them and if you are consistently missing Thursdays and Fridays for travel and games, that is a problem. Sorry to break it to you but I do have personal experience in this area and know that the Ivies have been better accommodating and will help you get out in 4 with summer school.

What is your experience with Ivies for this? I assume your DD already passed admissions?

You are posting like you know! I didn't know your ulittle was in college already. Ivies are still a D1 sport, so don't forget that. It's not just the Ivies you are painting as the more accomodating univerisites. It's based on the culture of the univeristy and how their college athletics is ran. This is where a family needs to weight all the options at their disposal when choosing which university and program fits best with their player.

Not every kid has the academic chops to gain admissions to an Ivy and in case you didn't know they bend their academic requirements for a stud soccer player too.

Won't name the sport but a number 1 recruit just signed to Harvard and everyone is shocked because the kid has a low GPA and lots of people are wondering how said student plans on graduating or even having a conversation while at this school. There was an article in the WSJ yesterday also about a top rated football recruit choosing Princeton over the SEC as well, and how the path to the NFL can be through an IVY.
It can be argued that this is occurring in soccer and I feel sorry for players who are committing to places when they can't even pass an AP exam- or some never even tried. Why go to Stanford or Cal? What's the point ??? It's clearly not about the kids when I see that happening.

It's not just the Ivies that make accommodations idiot. You just don't listen do you?

That's why I am very interested in his reply because maybe I am running with the wrong crowd but I hear the opposite. I hear that UCLA and company for example teach the players how to cook, train etc. they have a very inclusive player program.
I hear the Ivies are opposite.
Again not saying my affliliation but know for example one highly rated program that had a great 2017 makes zero accommodations for soccer. Zero. It's not glamorous so you must love the game. It's absolutely hypocritical because for their top three men's sports there are MAJOR accommodations given - test dates, travel is plane vs a bus, tutors, live in special housing. For the soccer girls it's hey welcome to the team here is great swag now go take your 18 units and see you evey day at 4.

Now your just talking out of your ass. Obviously by your post about the Ivy League that you didn't know Harvard and Princeton are semester systems.

The UC Schools are fine institutions and are on the quarter system, in case you didn't know. Look my DD goes to UDub and is ranked like #51 in the US news report and #11 in their world university ranking. So, pipe down....because education is highly valued in my family.
Now you are (not "your" dumbass) just talking out of your ass. I never even implied whether the ivy League schools are semester or quarter based. Moreover, not all UCs are on the quarter system. Cal for one is on the semester system. Sorry your family had to settle #51.

The assumptions you making are just amazing. Maybe you have been taking MakeALoser's meds and are hallucinating? I never said I had a ulittle.

As you state, the culture of the university determines how the athletic program is run. This is where my family has found the Ivies over PAC-12 schools to be more accommodating. I am not saying that the PAC-12 schools don't offer many of the same benefits to athletes, but in my families experience, the Ivies which generally put less pressure on their athletic departments, have been able to provide more flexibility.

Here's an example. Say our kid is pre-med and your school has the luxury of having a cadaver dissection class, but it is only offered in the fall with labs on Fridays. How does your school handle your kid missing half of the classes for road trips?

FACT, your posts would carry more weight and credibility if your DD was committed, but that isn't the case. I spoke to a Ivy league coach...please, so did I during my DDs college recruiting years.

Surfref, GKrent, MAP's are a few parents in here that can provide insight, because their DD's are currently college student athletes. Man, even CaliKlines posts have more credibility than yours and he is wrong more often than not.
Making assumptions of whether I have a daughter and whether she is committed just further confirms that you are an ass. It is great that you spoke with an Ivy league coach but get back to me when your daughter has more than 5 days of college experience.

That's why I am very interested in his reply because maybe I am running with the wrong crowd but I hear the opposite. I hear that UCLA and company for example teach the players how to cook, train etc. they have a very inclusive player program.
I hear the Ivies are opposite.
Again not saying my affliliation but know for example one highly rated program that had a great 2017 makes zero accommodations for soccer. Zero. It's not glamorous so you must love the game. It's absolutely hypocritical because for their top three men's sports there are MAJOR accommodations given - test dates, travel is plane vs a bus, tutors, live in special housing. For the soccer girls it's hey welcome to the team here is great swag now go take your 18 units and see you evey day at 4.
Even when I went to a PAC-1o school 30 years ago they had great benefits for athletes as you mention. I am not doubting that part. I am just saying that in our families recent experience, the Ivies have been more understanding of conflicts with school due to the pressure many athletic departments have to get wins.

Now you are (not "your" dumbass) just talking out of your ass. I never even implied whether the ivy League schools are semester or quarter based. Moreover, not all UCs are on the quarter system. Cal for one is on the semester system. Sorry your family had to settle #51.

Cal is the ONLY school in the UC system that isn't solely a grad school that is on the semester system.

The assumptions you making are just amazing. Maybe you have been taking MakeALoser's meds and are hallucinating? I never said I had a ulittle.

As you state, the culture of the university determines how the athletic program is run. This is where my family has found the Ivies over PAC-12 schools to be more accommodating. I am not saying that the PAC-12 schools don't offer many of the same benefits to athletes, but in my families experience, the Ivies which generally put less pressure on their athletic departments, have been able to provide more flexibility.

Here's an example. Say our kid is pre-med and your school has the luxury of having a cadaver dissection class, but it is only offered in the fall with labs on Fridays. How does your school handle your kid missing half of the classes for road trips?

Hey idiot maybe you didn't realize this but at big conference schools most have options so there isn't a situation where there is only ONE class that you can possibly take ALL year. Stop with the hypothetical bull $hit. You are talking out of your ass because you are butt hurt.

Even when I went to a PAC-1o school 30 years ago they had great benefits for athletes as you mention. I am not doubting that part. I am just saying that in our families recent experience, the Ivies have been more understanding of conflicts with school due to the pressure many athletic departments have to get wins.

In non revenue sports the pressure to win isn't any more significant than the pressure to graduate players. All of the PAC 12 schools are pretty good academically and keeping up their reputations are important. Graduating players matters. You are making huge ASSumptions idiot. Clearly you have no RECENT experience to draw upon.

Can't come up with anything original. Obviously you can apply common sense. My post where to guide you that it's not just the Ivies who accomodate a student athlete. Maybe you don't realize that Ivies need to accomodate, because their fact'in classes are HARD.

How long did it take you to Google all of the UC system academic calenders to find CAL being a semester? Doesn't make my statement false that UC schools are on quarter system and a quarter system is still more advantageous to a soccer student athlete than a semster system, especially for a STEM student.

Settling for #51, ha...you should worry more, if your DD will be recruited and offered to play college soccer.

Since, you brought it up. I will tell the the other 2 schools my DD was weighing, but decided to cross them off her list. Northwestern, my DD is fine with rain, but realized that 5-8 feet of snow during the winter didn't sound fun. Columbia, but realize she didn't want to go the East Coast and that far away from home. Also, Ivies don't offer athletic scholarships and my family would not qualify ANY financial assistance, because my wife and I make to much. UC Davis, my DD didn't like the coach, but loved the campus. Pepperdine, love the coaches and campus, but was a small school and lacked a football team. UCI, my DD loved Scott Juniper, but wasn't feeling the campus vibe and this was the University I wanted her to pick.

You see, my family weighed everything from elite schools, in state, midwest, east coast, big and small, private and public schools. Ultimately, she decide on Washington, because it was the best fit for her and had everything she wanted. So settling, nice try!

Please you post a lot in the Ulittle thread.

Have you ever put some thought maybe the Ivies are accomodating, because they know just how difficult their classes are! Thanks for your example of a semester system and validating my point that a quarter system is more advantageous for a soccer student athlete. I highly doubt your cadaver dissecting class example will only be offered in the Fall quarter, but yeah that can happen in a semster calender year.

This is where a parent has to weigh if that university is the right fit for their DD or not, maybe and the wisest decision if the ultimate goal is to be a physician.....DO NOT play a SPORT in college!

Please you post a lot in the Ulittle thread.

Have you ever put some thought maybe the Ivies are accomodating, because they know just how difficult their classes are! Thanks for your example of a semester system and validating my point that a quarter system is more advantageous for a soccer student athlete. I highly doubt your cadaver dissecting class example will only be offered in the Fall quarter, but yeah that can happen in a semster calender year.

This is where a parent has to weigh if that university is the right fit for their DD or not, maybe and the wisest decision if the ultimate goal is to be a physician.....DO NOT play a SPORT in college!

My son's soccer team at UC Davis had a pre-med student who stuck with both sides - playing soccer and succeeding as a student. His path was a little non-typical, however. He did not attend UCD primarily to play soccer, even though he had played well enough in high school and youth club soccer. As a result, he didn't go out for the team his Freshman year, concentrating on academics. He became a fullup team member the next year, and started a run of 4 years on the All-Conference Academic team, the last three of which were also NCAA All-American Academic. Because he didn't play his Freshman year, he was able to get the year of competition back in his first year at UC Davis Med School.

What is your experience with Ivies for this? I assume your DD already passed admissions?
I personally would like to hear Zerodenero's take on this, since his DD is committed to an Ivy League School vs a parent who's kid isn't committed to an Ivy league school or just isn't committed period.

Many moons ago, I was recruited to play soccer at a fairly prestigious D3 college with a fearsome reputation for academics. It was starting play in a new conference that required air travel, overnight stays etc to lots of its games. I asked about how that would fit with taking lab sciences, since the lab portions of the courses were often offered toward the end of the week in late afternoon time slots. The coach hemmed and hawed a little. He conceded that it would be difficult and you might have to miss some sessions to make it work. This is probably still an issue and even more so in the D1 colleges with even more extensive travel. Students can make up for it by loading up on those courses in the offseason or in summer, but it's not easy. My guess is that it's not so much that the students are lazy and taking what you characterize as "easy degrees" (although I disagree with that characterization as a blanket statement - I know plenty of STEM oriented students who would die with the reading/research/writing requirements of a liberal arts major -- the view of these majors as "easy" usually is more about the ability to get a certain grade because of the department's curve rather than the amount of work or the difficulty of doing it very well), but they are forced to balance the requirements of soccer and classes and they end up constructing schedules/majors that permit for both.
Dargle, which conference? Extensive travel is not typical of D3 conferences. The UAA D3 conference is the only one I can think of with great academic schools and air travel for regular games. But most of the top D3 academic institutions do not involve heavy travel schedules. UAA Conference includes the University of Chicago, Brandeis, Wash U and Carnegie Mellon etc.

Can't come up with anything original. Obviously you can apply common sense. My post where to guide you that it's not just the Ivies who accomodate a student athlete. Maybe you don't realize that Ivies need to accomodate, because their fact'in classes are HARD.

How long did it take you to Google all of the UC system academic calenders to find CAL being a semester? Doesn't make my statement false that UC schools are on quarter system and a quarter system is still more advantageous to a soccer student athlete than a semster system, especially for a STEM student.

Settling for #51, ha...you should worry more, if your DD will be recruited and offered to play college soccer.

Since, you brought it up. I will tell the the other 2 schools my DD was weighing, but decided to cross them off her list. Northwestern, my DD is fine with rain, but realized that 5-8 feet of snow during the winter didn't sound fun. Columbia, but realize she didn't want to go the East Coast and that far away from home. Also, Ivies don't offer athletic scholarships and my family would not qualify ANY financial assistance, because my wife and I make to much. UC Davis, my DD didn't like the coach, but loved the campus. Pepperdine, love the coaches and campus, but was a small school and lacked a football team. UCI, my DD loved Scott Juniper, but wasn't feeling the campus vibe and this was the University I wanted her to pick.

You see, my family weighed everything from elite schools, in state, midwest, east coast, big and small, private and public schools. Ultimately, she decide on Washington, because it was the best fit for her and had everything she wanted. So settling, nice try!

NG...don't get roped in...no need to explain to someone who has no credibility. Washington at #51 is pretty Damn good. UDub was one of my DD's choices, but at the end it came down to where she felt more comfortable. Great School your DD will love her experience...who knows, if she doesn't like it she can always transfer to a warmer school in Santa Barbara...lol.

Back