CalSouth Return to Play Waiver

@espola,

The waiver exists because of a virus that Cal South has no control over and does not have insurance coverage against. I read it yesterday. Its reasonable and necessary in our litigious society. I can see it now, some grandma visits her grandchild's game, is infected with covid 19, dies, and the family sues the club, league, Cal South, the facility, snack bar operator, etc.

All of these Covid waivers are silly if you ask me. There is no way in the world anyone could prove where they contract a virus. In this instance, if somebody is willing to take their kid to play soccer there is no way that is the only place they have been. Would they keep them whipped in bubble wrap to and from practice and never go ANYPLACE else?

All of these Covid waivers are silly if you ask me. There is no way in the world anyone could prove where they contract a virus. In this instance, if somebody is willing to take their kid to play soccer there is no way that is the only place they have been. Would they keep them whipped in bubble wrap to and from practice and never go ANYPLACE else?

I think they are more worried about the cost of fighting lawsuits than the coast of losing.

Grandma didn't sign the waiver and could just be a spectator of a friend and have no siblings involved so what happens @MWN in that case?

That would be the purpose of the indemnity. Last sentence of Section 4. If grandma is there to watch grandchild play, grandma would effectively be suing grandchild so long as Cal-South can show grandma's claim arises in connection with grandchild's participation. Unless grandma can show she was there for some other reason, it would not be hard to connect grandma to grandchild's participation.

It doesn't matter where it came from. It matters if it spreads to other players on a team then those players spread it to others on the community. Same can be said about schools, churches, gyms, etc.

Activities with increased respiration such exercise or singing have shown an increased rate of spread, specially without face coverings.

The largest Covid spread incident in Bergamo Italy was traced to a soccer match. Obviously a large professional match with thousands of spectators is different than youth soccer. However thousands died and it set a precedent.

Grandma didn't sign the waiver and could just be a spectator of a friend and have no siblings involved so what happens @MWN in that case?
My suspicion is the waivers are more for the coaches and referees, which since they are being paid, and since they have an employment relationship if not directly with CalSouth then with an affiliated entity, pose a greater liability risk than the kids, who are largely resistant to the bug anyways. It would look funny to get one from the coaches and referees and not the players, and if something were to happen to a player the attorney would be accused of malpractice (because it's just easier to cover any base you can), so that's why everyone is being asked to sign it.

My suspicion is the waivers are more for the coaches and referees, which since they are being paid, and since they have an employment relationship if not directly with CalSouth then with an affiliated entity, pose a greater liability risk than the kids, who are largely resistant to the bug anyways. It would look funny to get one from the coaches and referees and not the players, and if something were to happen to a player the attorney would be accused of malpractice (because it's just easier to cover any base you can), so that's why everyone is being asked to sign it.

Yeah makes me wonder if/when spectating is allowed everyone will need to get screened or some other liability notices will have to be posted at the entrances or something?

There are potentials of spectators that don't have any child involved, friends, scouts, extended family, other kids, etc. The days of just walking up or checking out play could be different going forward.

This gives me some concern since my player previously either trains at a college or interactions with athletes there.

Back