California Odyssey and San Jose Surf join ECNL NorCal

What happened to the advertised point-based promotion/relegation system where NorCal clubs get points based on standings in NPL league and state cup and the club with the most points plays off against lowest ECNL team? Norcal League isnt even finished yet. Is that play off going to happen in addition to these two ‘promotions’? These aren’t really ‘promotions’, they are additions…

NorCal? Poor sportsmanship? Have you seen how many Placer United teams are in the state cup finals on the girls side? Coincidentally, Ron Benjamin coaches at that club. His 08 team got 4 minutes added to the end of the game in the semifinal and tied it on the 2nd minute of stoppage time. The assistant referee, that coincidentally was on his side of the field, called back a PK in extra time. NorCal is a joke!!!!

NorCal? Poor sportsmanship? Have you seen how many Placer United teams are in the state cup finals on the girls side? Coincidentally, Ron Benjamin coaches at that club. His 08 team got 4 minutes added to the end of the game in the semifinal and tied it on the 2nd minute of stoppage time. The assistant referee, that coincidentally was on his side of the field, called back a PK in extra time. NorCal is a joke!!!!
keep crying that your bad girls team lost

and now ECFC Salinas has been promoted. Kind of shocked to be honest, I thought this club was on probation with NorCal due to fights on the field and parents getting into it, etc. Really didn't expect ECNL to promote them, going to be quite the headache for them I suspect.

Yeah, they'll be a headache on the field too. Top team in every Champions League NPL bracket. 07's also won State Cup. Good luck to the rest of the ECNL clubs

Yeah, they'll be a headache on the field too. Top team in every Champions League NPL bracket. 07's also won State Cup. Good luck to the rest of the ECNL clubs

Don't get me wrong they absolutely have great teams in terms of performance! I just honestly didn't expect ECNL to offer them a spot given their disciplinary record.

All that said let's not get carried away, they'll struggle badly in 2010s, 2009, and 2005s. They'll crush it in the 2007s and they'll do ok in 2008 and 2006.

So for the teams that will be in ECNL next year...
  • U13 (current U12 Pre-NPL | 2010) - Salinas doesn't have any teams in Champions League, NPL1, NPL2, nor NPL3; their best team is 5th in premier
  • U14 (current U13 Pre-NPL | 2009) - Salinas doesn't have any teams in Champions League, NPL1, nor NPL2; their best team is 1st in premier
  • U15 (current U14 NPL | 2008) - 2nd place in Champions League
  • U16 (current U15 NPL | 2007) - 1st place in Champions League; State Cup Champions
  • U17 (current U16 NPL | 2006) - 3rd place in Champions League
  • U19 (current U17 NPL | 2005) - 1st place in NPL3

Is the ECFC promotion based on the NorCal promotion/relegation where the NorCal club with the most points based on league and state cup plays off against the lowest ecnl club for a spot in ecnl? Did these play off games already happen ?

Boys ECNL Promotion/Relegation
download.png

Is the ECFC promotion based on the NorCal promotion/relegation where the NorCal club with the most points based on league and state cup plays off against the lowest ecnl club for a spot in ecnl? Did these play off games already happen ?

Boys ECNL Promotion/Relegation
download.png

My understanding is that for this year, and this year only, they were just going to straight promote 3 clubs so that ECNL next year would start with 12 clubs total since ECNL was only at 9 in NorCal. Then next season, they will do a pro/rel with the worst ranked ECNL club playing the top ranked NPL club for the spot in ECNL.

This year based on the points document linked above, I just did a quick calculation and the top 10 rankings were as follows, with the top 3 gaining promotion to ECNL:

1. Cal Odyssey (48 points)
2. Salinas (45 points)
3. SJ Surf (37 points)
4. Association FC (36 points)
5. Sacramento United (33 points)
6. Walnut Creek Surf (32 points)
7. FC Sporting (30 points)
8. Bay Area Surf (28 points)
9. Newark (26 Points)
10. Clovis Crossfire, Bay Oaks, Union Sacramento, SF Elite Academy (all 24 points)

Reactions: BBJ
My understanding is that for this year, and this year only, they were just going to straight promote 3 clubs so that ECNL next year would start with 12 clubs total since ECNL was only at 9 in NorCal. Then next season, they will do a pro/rel with the worst ranked ECNL club playing the top ranked NPL club for the spot in ECNL.

This year based on the points document linked above, I just did a quick calculation and the top 10 rankings were as follows, with the top 3 gaining promotion to ECNL:

1. Cal Odyssey (48 points)
2. Salinas (45 points)
3. SJ Surf (37 points)
4. Association FC (36 points)
5. Sacramento United (33 points)
6. Walnut Creek Surf (32 points)
7. FC Sporting (30 points)
8. Bay Area Surf (28 points)
9. Newark (26 Points)
10. Clovis Crossfire, Bay Oaks, Union Sacramento, SF Elite Academy (all 24 points)
Interesting. Thanks for running the numbers!

Back