California AB5

Ref assn sort of acts like uber for referees.

If a ref uses this as his main source of income, then I would say he deserves some labor law protections.

If a ref only does 50 or 100 games per year, I would assume this is treated differently.

Ok. My ref association rates referees and handles the scheduling by assigning refs to games they are qualified to ref. Tournaments and leagues work through the ref association and do not contact me directly. What is the natural course of a referee association's business if not to provide referees to soccer tournaments and leagues. Totally different if I ref a scrimmage between two teams that book me directly. When you get paid on the field, do you collect a fee for your association? I think people need to get a little fired up to fight AB5 instead of sticking their head in the sand and thinking it won't apply to them. AB5 is ridiculously broad. Talk to a labor/employment lawyer knowledgeable about AB5 when you get a chance.
The referee assigners get paid for every game they assign. Some associations take money from the referee directly per game assigned and others have a yearly dues the referee pays to cover the assignment fees. I belong to associations that do both. For instance, the San Diego high school referee association charges all referees D50 which covers the cost of rule books, badges, insurance, meeting venue, food served at meetings, etc. They also charge $4 per game assigned. Most referees pay an initial deposit of $80-$120 to cover the cost of assignment fees then make further deposits as the season goes along.

I am not sure what good it would do referees if they did fall under AB5. But, I honestly do not know much about AB5.

Back