Califoria vs. UK vs. Spain vs. Canada (good news)

To see how well we're doing as a State, compare CA #s with UK Spain and Canada. UK is on about the same timeline as we are, but does have about 20MM more people. Spain is about a week ahead but has a similar population -- about 40 million. Canada same timeline and population but people are more spread out so easier to social distance, etc. Our numbers are similar to Canada's right now so just see if we track similarly. So far, we are and that's pretty good. Since most of deaths are in/from nursing homes I'm hoping that politicians will be patient enough to give the current social distancing etc policies a chance before going to the next level of "shelter in place". We don't see enough good news stats...

As of 3/19:

Cases: CA - 952; UK - 3269; ESP - 18K; CAN - 800

Deaths: CA - 18; UK - 144; ESP - 803; CAN - 10

But then today Newsom estimates $25.5 Million (56%) of California residents will be infected within the next 8 weeks. How horribly irresponsible!
he's been doing pretty well up until that statement. I agree, so dumb to do that. Unless he wants to scare people. There is no reliable data to suggest that.

elmshade

BRONZE
he's been doing pretty well up until that statement. I agree, so dumb to do that. Unless he wants to scare people. There is no reliable data to suggest that.
They know what we will learn... typically that’s the distribution of data in a controlled management environment.

hang on tight and stay healthy.

We are conducting a mass experiment to see which viewpoint is correct. Now if the infection rate drops off dramatically, there will be an argument about whether it happened because of the quarantine, or would have happened naturally anyway.

And then he puts the entire state on lockdown. If it's because the 30 and under population are still going to the beaches then let the local authorities close their beaches without doing a statewide, one-solution for all approach. Orange County and SD County and Imperial County etc. should not be treated the same as SFO, Santa Clara and Sacramento.

Once you go to this level, we are stuck here now for a while. Because you can't loosen the restriction unless/until we see improvement. And with the increased number of tests being performed, it will seem as if the virus is spreading even though it may just be an increase in reporting/recording.

blam

SILVER
I agree with the governor on this. The last few days I saw people playing soccer as in 11 v 11 scrimmages. We know the virus can be beaten. Just copy what was done in China or Korea.

CrazyTown

BRONZE
56% of Californinans IF nothing had been done. That's why he ordered the stay a home. Maybe he should've explained it better.
Yes! He wasn't forth coming with all of those real details! Headlines across California just light more fire... that is my point. 25.5 million in 8 weeks is ridiculous and irresponsible from a state leader. Most people just read headlines! We don't need fear, we need facts. Did he even ever attribute that statement to any health professional?

We are conducting a mass experiment to see which viewpoint is correct. Now if the infection rate drops off dramatically, there will be an argument about whether it happened because of the quarantine, or would have happened naturally anyway.
That would be a pretty silly argument. The data is pretty consistent re. how the virus spreads "naturally".