Calf Cramps

Bubba

SILVER
My son can't get through a whole game without always getting calf cramps. He hydrates , get rolled out at half time eats more calories before game. Tried Gatorade, pickle juice and coconut water.

Any suggestion on diet , drinks or sports medicine doctor or center ? We are located in Southeast LA county/North Orange county

Small Packet of yellow mustard in his soccer bag, have him eat a little when and if he cramps... marathon runners always have this in their running pack.

Consult with your doctor but diet or supplements like magnesium and potassium should help. Mineral depletion like having low levels of calcium magnesium potassium can cause cramps.

Dehydration lots of sweating can cause a loss of sodium salt that can't be replenished quick enough. Playing or running for many hours or miles you need to start a hydration regime many days before you actually need it. If not again supplements like "salt" pills or better yet rapid rehydrate 8 the formula that has sodium calcium vitamin D3 magnesium potassium in the pill form

Banana will do nothing. Mustard will do nothing. Taking electrolyte replacements will likely do nothing. The most common cause of cramping is purely muscle fatigue and there's nothing you can do.

Banana will do nothing. Mustard will do nothing. Taking electrolyte replacements will likely do nothing. The most common cause of cramping is purely muscle fatigue and there's nothing you can do.

Disagree proper hydration, diet, and supplements work.

I've done my own research, experiments, and my experience says otherwise. They can and do make a difference.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Disagree proper hydration, diet, and supplements work.

I've done my own research, experiments, and my experience says otherwise. They can and do make a difference.

I'd love to read the research you've done. And personal experience does not equate to science. Sorry.

I'd love to read the research you've done. And personal experience does not equate to science. Sorry.

The science is staring at you in the face above and has been since 1965, develop by scientist and doctors at the University of Florida.

Sorry your personal opinion is just everyone else's and doesn't amount to anything but a opinion.

We've not used it, but our friends swear by Liquid IV for hydration.

My son had both calves lock up towards the end of the game. It happened so quickly, it looked like he had been shot by a sniper. We haven't needed to do anything too special since then. We just make sure he starts hydrating (electrolytes) a few days before games....sometimes easier said then done.

Ditto back at you.

I have graduate level training in critiquing peer reviewed scientific studies. You know, things like meta-analysis, assessing and comparing quantitative and qualitative data, assessing biases within journals/articles, checking inaccuracies, etc.

With that being said, again, the leading theory is that exercise associated muscle cramps comes down to muscle fatigue. Period. Not hydration or electrolyte imbalance. If your child truly had an electrolyte imbalance you should take them directly to the ER because they'd be at immediate risk for arrhythmias (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1728508/).

Quote: "Dehydration/electrolyte and neuromuscular causes are the most widely discussed theories for the cause of EAMC; however, strong experimental evidence for either theory is lacking."

Quote: "A common myth associated with treating muscle cramps is that the consumption of bananas can alleviate the cramping. "

Quote: "
EAMC occurs during or immediately after exercise in force-generating muscles; this cramping is usually associated with fatigue. EMG studies of
cramping muscles show increased muscle activity, supporting the hypothesis of a regional, rather than
systemic, cause of EAMC."

And if you want a fun way to learn more watch this:

I have graduate level training in critiquing peer reviewed scientific studies. You know, things like meta-analysis, assessing and comparing quantitative and qualitative data, assessing biases within journals/articles, checking inaccuracies, etc.

With that being said, again, the leading theory is that exercise associated muscle cramps comes down to muscle fatigue. Period. Not hydration or electrolyte imbalance. If your child truly had an electrolyte imbalance you should take them directly to the ER because they'd be at immediate risk for arrhythmias (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1728508/).

Quote: "Dehydration/electrolyte and neuromuscular causes are the most widely discussed theories for the cause of EAMC; however, strong experimental evidence for either theory is lacking."

Quote: "A common myth associated with treating muscle cramps is that the consumption of bananas can alleviate the cramping. "

Quote: "
EAMC occurs during or immediately after exercise in force-generating muscles; this cramping is usually associated with fatigue. EMG studies of
cramping muscles show increased muscle activity, supporting the hypothesis of a regional, rather than
systemic, cause of EAMC."

And if you want a fun way to learn more watch this:

Eat the bananas before the game, not after the cramps set in.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to inform myself.

The staff at his school is working with him. He's in great shape ,but can't make it pass 60 minutes. He says he not tried , but his calves cramp up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm trying to inform myself.

The staff at his school is working with him. He's in great shape ,but can't make it pass 60 minutes. He says he not tried , but his calves cramp up.
**He's not tired

Take a magnesium supplement every night. Eat at least one banana a day. Make sure he’s using an electrolyte supplement like Liquid IV (Gatorade not the best)

good luck!

Back